Building the Hawker P.1127 (A01033V)

Nick Andrews-Faulkner

Another alternative maybe to shim the front end of the fuselage with a bit of plastic sheet to make it the same width as the canopy. As you say, it's only going to end up as a mule so may be worth experimenting. May even help with the step on the fuselage join.

Ian

I have a lot of admiration for you guys who want to build a good replica from the models Airfix provide of this type of aircraft.
By that I mean prototypes or very early versions such as the Kestrel, the NA39 (early Buccaneer), Eurofighter, and some others I’ve forgotten. 

My disappointment here is the rush to get a kit out to market when there is clearly development of the real thing that will happen. At least, the updates have been modelled in terms of the Harrier and the Buccaneer S2.

But, was it really profitable to produce these early versions? Don’t know, but to each, the choice is his/her own. 

• Like 1

I guess if they hadn't produced the early prototypes in kit form, there would be some folk who would take the existing kit of a latter day example and strip it back to its prototype days.
I for one, would love to take the latest 1/48 S2 Buccaneer and produce the NA.39 from it but unfortunately I need to rely on aftermarket resin as I don't think I could produce intakes etc. of a suitable standard.

Cheers

Ian

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Another alternative maybe to shim the front end of the fuselage with a bit of plastic sheet to make it the same width as the canopy. As you say, it's only going to end up as a mule so may be worth experimenting. May even help with the step on the fuselage join.

Ian

Thank Ian, good idea. The dry fitting didn't show the problem up, or not to the extent that became apparent, so I committed to gluing the fuselage together.  The mismatches sanded out easily enough, so masked the canopy (the frame is very vague) and went to attach that....  
The kit is cheap enough, so may get another one and do as you suggest.

• Like 1

As you're committed with the fuselage, there is one final option, and that is to sand the canopy to fit. Obviously don't go in too heavy and then you can use these to finish off with.

Again, you've nothing to lose 🙂

IMG_5360.thumb.jpeg.7ba209e5806fbf046a2fde345454106a.jpeg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Valhalla said:

As you're committed with the fuselage, there is one final option, and that is to sand the canopy to fit. Obviously don't go in too heavy and then you can use these to finish off with.

Again, you've nothing to lose 🙂

IMG_5360.thumb.jpeg.7ba209e5806fbf046a2fde345454106a.jpeg

Something else for the (ever expanding) equipment collection, thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2024 at 16:35, Nick Andrews-Faulkner said:

Buyers regret here:
Fuselage join has huge steps - manageable
Wings don't line up - manageable
Canopy is about 1mm too wide either side - aaaargh!

One that will be in the fire ground of modellers a.k.a a paint mule

Disappointing, as on opening the box it looked in pretty good shape for a Vintage Classic

Are you sure you didn't just get a duff kit? 🤔

Some moons ago I had a thing with Sea Hurricanes (a family connection) and built many different manufacturer's offerings.  There was one kit, by Ark that look promising in 1/48 but the reality was far removed from that.  It was a nightmare, especially starboard wing assembly and fit.  Finished kit looked no different to others that I made.  Why mention it? I look back on that kit as I learnt so much from the process of knocking it into shape and in a perverse way, enjoyed it as the sense of achievement was heightened.

Andy

• Like 2

14 hours ago, modeling maniac said:

Are you sure you didn't just get a duff kit? 🤔

Quite possibly, I had contacted Customer Services about a missing part (alternative nose probe) and also mentioned my concerns.  It's certainly a kit I would consider having another attempt at, but knowing that it will be a long haul rather than a blitz build.

• Like 2

On 16/09/2024 at 21:25, Valhalla said:

As you're committed with the fuselage, there is one final option, and that is to sand the canopy to fit.

^^^This. I have a set of Infini sponge sanding sticks that run from fairly coarse to ultra-fine, the latter is akin to a nail polisher. Then use the Tamiya compounds.

• Like 1