BP Shell tanks

Silver Fox 17

Here are some express goods trains with LNER A1 pacifics and a 1957 A4 goods trains. These photos taken from Locos of the LNER part 2 which along with many other books are going.

Certainly plenty of options for all the Hornby steamers and goods wagons.

There is also a case in BR days of an A4 shunting coal wagons and the driver refusing to go near the coal drops saying his loco was too heavy, so, there you have a steam shunting loco already.

20240927_121339.jpg

20240927_121359.jpg

20240927_121421.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Silver Fox 17 said:

My BP tanks have arrived and very nice too. 

They seem to be a little heavier than the original tanks and run smoother but I need to get the originals out for comparison. 

I would have preferred the green BP on both sides though.

20240927_143729.jpg

20240927_143745.jpg

I didn't rrealise that they were dual branded.  that's a bit of let down.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

In the steam era oil/petroleum tanker trains,

If the wagons had fuel in then one or two barrier wagons were put between loco and first tank, also I think a barrier wagon was between the last tank and guards van.

I don't think anything else had these.

Empty tanks did not often have a barrier wagon.

Just now, Silver Fox 17 said:

If the wagons had fuel in then one or two barrier wagons were put between loco and first tank, also I think a barrier wagon was between the last tank and guards van.

I don't think anything else had these.

Empty tanks did not often have a barrier wagon.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a barrier wagon?  I've never seen one.

Hi @Going Spare

Well, you do need an ignition source.  

In the US, locomotives have a designed in "ride over" feature in locomotives.  If they so happen to collide with a car, they ride up and over the railcar they impact.  And yet, train crews bail out if they think they are going to collide.  The velocity is irrelevant.  They bail, even though they will ride over the wreck.  Better to be a twisted up, broken guy on the side of the rail, rather than an atomized guy on top of the rail, after it goes boom.

Bee

• Like 1

The dual branding of the tank wagons is 100% accurate. In 1932 Shell and BP formed  Shellmex  a joint marketing organisation to distribute ands market their products in the UK which is why the tank wagons were dual branded . Shellmex was disbanded in the mid 1970s Shell and BP marketing their products independantly.

Jon

• Like 4

2 hours ago, worcester said:

The dual branding of the tank wagons is 100% accurate. In 1932 Shell and BP formed  Shellmex  a joint marketing organisation to distribute ands market their products in the UK which is why the tank wagons were dual branded . Shellmex was disbanded in the mid 1970s Shell and BP marketing their products independantly.

Jon

That is very interesting to know.  Thanks for adding the information to the discussion. 🙂.  I should have considered that Hornby would get the livery right.

2 hours ago, worcester said:

The dual branding of the tank wagons is 100% accurate.

I knew it would be correct as Tri-ang did it with their TT 3mm wagons in 1958/9 time, I just hoped it would be wrong and be green on both sides, even if the word Shell was in green.

Edited by Silver Fox 17

Had my BP/Shell arrive today. I also noticed they are a bit heavier than the older ones and do zip round the track a lot smoother.  

My A4 Silver King had trouble pulling 8 of them initially with a lot of wheel slip even at low speed - other than the stainer or mark 1 coaches it does tend to struggle, it probably prefers passenger to freight to be honest. After a few mins things seem to smooth out but you could tell it was struggling, it just sits there and slips with the old tankers. The Class 50 and Duchess pulled them with ease, in fact I made a rake of old and new together plus a brake van (18 in total) for the Class 50 and it never broke a sweat.

• Like 2

@Tim Allen, something well worth doing is a thorough clean of the wheels on your loco, my experience was the Pacifics came,  over lubricated and that can seriously affect traction as the weight is not huge on these. Also good track clean. This is where IPA really come into its own as it lifts off all oils and evaporates very quickly leaving a dry surface. Anything over 12 MK1s on High Fell and it’s the actual couplings locking up derailing stock that is the problem. 

• Like 1

Hi all. I've just received mine and the Benzol tanker and they are both great and in my opinion put my original Fisons tanker to shame!  Either Hornby acted on our previous concerns and modified the chasis or I am lucky. Whichever I am very happy.  Hope yours turn out to be too. 

• Like 2