Looks like I finally got a bad one

Tomasz-1303413

After installing multiple 8 pin and next18 decoders I finally ran into one that didn't work. Plugged it in, seemed fine, linked and updated, lights and sound worked but no movement, then of a sudden it let out a bit of smoke. Yikes. Unlike one time before when I accidentally shorted out the motor and got an overcurrent warning in the app, this time no warnings. The body of the loco was still off so I know there were no short circuits. Plugged the analog bridge back in and the loco works fine. The decoder still connects and still has lights and sounds but no movement. I emailed Hornby support but considering I'm in US, not sure anything can be done 😕

Might be worth performing visual & continuity checks on that loco’s decoder socket underside & wiring.  Bad soldering may not cause DC/blanking plate any issues but can be deadly to decoders.

Edited by LTSR_NSE

Normally if it is the loco, it goes immediately. It gives a buzz and then the dcc controller gives an overload error. If the lights and sound worked then I really doubt it was the loco. Check the capacitor across the motor if it has one. They have a habit of going short circuit.

So I'm an idiot. One thing I didn't check was the ESU next18 to plux22 adapter. It turned out to be bad, despite looking fine to my eye. I tried another one and despite releasing some magic smoke the decoder actually works fine. I'm actually amazed it still works, points for Hornby decoder design to withstand a bad connection and keep on ticking. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tomasz-1303413 said:

So I'm an idiot. One thing I didn't check was the ESU next18 to plux22 adapter. It turned out to be bad, despite looking fine to my eye. I tried another one and despite releasing some magic smoke the decoder actually works fine. I'm actually amazed it still works, points for Hornby decoder design to withstand a bad connection and keep on ticking. 

I hate to say this, but probably in a short time it will fail. I may be wrong but I have had a couple of decoders that have done that and they eventually fail, but you may be lucky.