Spare parts Duke of Gloucester

• Alanburford9101 changed the title to Spare parts Duke of Gloucester

Hi Alan

Begin, at the beginning.  

Firstly and most important is to identify which 'Duke of Gloucester' you have.  There appear to be quite a few. Using Google, type in "Hornby Duke of Gloucester" and select images.  Try to get a good visual match.  Once you think you do, and as a result have the R number, search again in Google "Hornby Rxxxx" where xxxx is the R number.  This is so you can confirm that you have the correct designation.  

With the proper R number, search "Hornby Rxxxx 'Service Sheet' ".  This will bring you to the correct service sheet (should it exist), where part numbers may be found.

Additionally, if you bring the R number back here, there will be several who can steer you in the correct direction.

Bee

I find the New Modellers Site has the easiest Service Sheets feature, it also lists what the number is plus the loco name. It comes up as a list, easy to see what ones are supported. I never tried to look for your loco, so I don't know what its number is. What parts do you actually want?

I think it also has a link to the parts if they have them, I use it all the time.

Edited by ColinB
  • Like 1

Service Sheet 400B covers "BR 4-6-2 class 8" (Duke of Gloucester) R3168, R3191, R3192 and R3236 while sheet 405 covers TTS decoder-fitted R3244TTS.  Although the loco has been released under additional numbers, these two sheets should give you a good indication of which parts Hornby have made available although not all may be so currently.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Going Spare said:

Service Sheet 400B covers "BR 4-6-2 class 8" (Duke of Gloucester) R3168, R3191, R3192 and R3236 while sheet 405 covers TTS decoder-fitted R3244TTS.  Although the loco has been released under additional numbers, these two sheets should give you a good indication of which parts Hornby have made available although not all may be so currently.

I was just going to say that you beat me to it, it is listed on the New Modellers site as a class 8 loco service sheets as 400 or 400B, and as you say 405 for the TTS version which I assume just has a different tender bottom.

According to S/S 405, R3244TTS has the 4-wire plug X6113 from the loco and the X9958 tender socket, which is more likely for a sound-fitted loco than the hit-and-miss X8846 rigid sprung drawbar that preceded them.  Although X6113 is not incorporated in to the exploded diagram, the tender chassis frame does show the cut-out for the X9958 socket as part of the sound upgrade as suggested by ColinB.  The  drawbar is illustrated as X6617.

Edited by Going Spare

Whilst the 4-pin plug is universal, there are two types of matching socket. The standard socket is right angled but there is an axial variant. I can't remember the loco class it is fitted to but a search will find it.

Edit - the Thompson class uses the straight plug socket. 

IMG_2349.jpeg

23 hours ago, Alanburford9101 said:

Hi

This is a secondhand loco and the main problem is that a wire has been detached from the tender plug. Is there any way to reconnect the wire in the plug so to save buying a complete new wire assy?

Alan

I have tried, you could try soldering but in the end I usually buy a new lead. Lendons is the cheapest, the part you require is X6113, they do another one which is cheaper X50025, the pickup leads are a bit shorter on this. When it comes to the tender connector the part is X9985, X9958, it either comes with wires or not. I have found the one with wires, that the wires are a bit short for doing a neat job. Don't buy the X9985L X9958L, as it doesn't fit most tenders and the pads are not really big enough to solder to. I convert all my tender locos to DCC socket in tender so I am always buying these. From Lendons the X6113 plus P & P will cost you about £6.00 to £7.00. The X50025 is a lot cheaper, I am still trying to figure why there is a huge price difference.

Mod note - Colin's typo corrected per following post comment.

7 minutes ago, Alanburford9101 said:

Hi

This is a secondhand loco and the main problem is that a wire has been detached from the tender plug. Is there any way to reconnect the wire in the plug so to save buying a complete new wire assy?

Alan

Ok if you want to do that then soldering is the only reliable way. Get a pin/needle/jewellers screwdriver and search around the back of the plug for the pin the that is holding the individual connector in. The pin as I call it is a tab, push it in and hopefully the individual connector will drop out. Very carefully solder your broken wire to the connector making sure capillery action don't coat the whole connector with solder. Then push it back in. 

Edit: looks like you have done what I said, but this is how you can do it. I found though once you have disturb the pin it never goes back that well.

Edited by ColinB

I forgot when I mentioned when replacing the lead, you will probably need some heat shrink sleeving to protect the joints in the loco when you replace the loco lead. I have never took mine apart so I don't know if it has a joiner PCB. Hornby used those for a while before they went to just joining the wires.