A04011V – Handley Page Hampden

Tour de Airfix

Back in January a neighbour of mine, hearing that I was keen on WW2 aircraft waxed lyrically over a talk she had arranged for Seaton WI (yes the Woman's Institute) about a Handley Page Hampden which crashed crashed into a hillside on Dartmoor, back in 1941.

Naturally, I had to know more and started on that well path, well known to many of us, that of historical aviation research! Oh yes, and coincidentally, Airfix had just announced the re-release of their 1:72 scale kit, so .. yes .. I blindly clicked that pre-order button!

I mention this now because today, 9 months later, I've finally received notification that it's being prepared for shipment. To be honest, I had as good as forgotten all about it and now have to find that research I pulled together all those months ago.

IMG_5054.thumb.jpeg.2e1cb2154aa4ca6d19a9aa6b771e8bb3.jpeg

Stay tuned 😉

• Like 4

I always liked the Airfix Hampden from the time it was released. 
As time went on, I felt that there were limitations but even so, I bought 6-7 of them. With the release of improved quality kits and versions by Airfix, I lived in hope of an upgrade to the Hampden. Sadly this has yet to happen. 
I am keen to see how yours turns out, assuming you intend to build it. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dominic Thomas said:

assuming you intend to build it. 

Oh yes, Dominic.

I’m really looking forward to discovering its backstory, the history of the fated Hampden’s crew who sadly met there end on Dartmoor and how this old lady builds ☺️

I’ll happily keep you posted. 

Jonathan 

11 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I really should build them.

I feel the need for another group build 😉

I confess to knowing nothing of the Hereford. Fascinating to think that give an aircraft a different engine and a new name. This brings to mind the Merlin powered Beaufighter and Bristol engined Lancaster.

Would love to see your Hampden and Hereford side by side 😊

Jonathan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tour de Airfix said:

I feel the need for another group build 😉

I confess to knowing nothing of the Hereford. Fascinating to think that give an aircraft a different engine and a new name. This brings to mind the Merlin powered Beaufighter and Bristol engined Lancaster.

Would love to see your Hampden and Hereford side by side 😊

Jonathan

I have some.

These are all Valom

Randall

IMG_1840.jpeg

IMG_1824.jpeg

IMG_1820.jpeg

IMG_1838.jpeg

IMG_1823.jpeg

IMG_1808.jpeg

Edited by SD45elect2000