Connecting a DCC Power Booster.

Captain_Francisco.

I have purchased an Hornby R8239 Power Booster. In the pictorial instructions, (there are, in essence, no written ones,) the power from the transformer (PSU I see, in modern parlance,) to the controller, is dispensed with. Is this correct, once a booster

is used, the controller itself must no longer be powered? If, by any mischance, the controller and the booster are both fed power from a PSU, will any serious damage be done?

Thanks Fishmaoz. What is bothering me, is that I have read somewhere, that when using multiple boosters, they each have to boost isolated sections of track. The wiring from the 1st powered section, to the booster, I presume, carries the loco instructions,

which are then transferred to the 2nd section, along with the boosters power, via the wiring from the appropriate ports. Easy for me to grasp: 3 Amps on the 1st section from one PSU, and 3 Amps on the second section, from the second PSU, via the booster, instructions

carried from one section to the other, again 'per kind favour' of the booster. My understanding is then, that one could, with the 'Elite,' run & control say, 50 loco's, but in groups of 10 per boosted, isolated, section, not all 50 on one section. At no point

have I read that one connects multiple boosters to only one section of track: surely there is overload there. If then the 'Elite' controller and the booster were powering the same section of track we would end up with a problem?

I think a better name for the 'booster' would be 'repeater' because that's essentialy what it does. The Elite is powered by it's usual PSU and each 'booster' has it's own PSU. The track output from each must be to electrically isolated sections. The 'booster'

gets it's instructions from the Elite, the track, or another 'booster'as shown in the manual. Only one Elite can be used.

Try to visualise it as wiring up your Christmas tree lights, when you only have one wall socket.

Plug into your wall socket (the Elite) an ((imaginary)) extension lead with four sockets, (ie a choc block connector).

Into the first extension, you

plug in one set of lights (one booster and part of the railway, isolated from all the others).

Into the next socket goes another set of lights (booster 2), and so on.

Hi

Do you have such a large layout that it needs more than one Booster?

Most layouts run happily fed directly from the main consoles (Elite) 3.0Amp 'Track' output power. without any added Boosters. A Booster feeds a totally electrical separated

area (Zone) of track.

If your layout needs sectioning (Zones) the consider using an Electronic circuit breaker (Not produced by Hornby) to prevent an overload in one zone effecting another zone or the main consoles area.

Hornby Boosters each have their own dedicated power supply derived from a mains plug-in transformer.

Each Hornby Booster is connect to the next booster or initially from the Elite via a dedicated data cable or from the Elite fed rails via a DCC power

clip connecting to the rails.

Thanks all. I have the idea; 'Elite' powers initial section of track, each subsequent booster powers is own isolated section, but repeats the instructions from the 'Elite' to its own section. I only have the one booster, but I was just getting the "theory"

correctly sorted out in my brain. Comments reference the circuit breaker appreciated Flashbang. Thanks again for a lovely, helpful, Forum.

Captain_Francisco. said:
I was just getting the theory correctly sorted out in my brain.

There has been a bit of discussion about what booster can and can't do. I tried to make a very brief summary a few weeks back. They seem to be

an expensive bit of kit with some very specific application.

https://www.hornby.com/forums/hornby-forums/hornby-digital/3831/?page=2#post44255

Has the booster fulfiled the needs that you thought it would when you purchased it?

Archived