Which version of LokSound fitted ?

CobaltUK

Ive asked via 'pre purchase info request' but run out patience waiting. Going cold on the idea frankly.

Elsewhere Ive read that there is no certainty that a new/newish loco will have the V4 version despite having been out a long time. I read of

older models with V4 and newer sometime having V3.x

Don't know if this is the case or not. Will not be buying a ready fitted loco unless sure it has the superior V4. Rather supply and fit myself with the added benefit of better speaker and perhaps also

superior sound. Anyone confirm its hit and miss whats factory fitted ?

I interrogated my Hornby Class 08 which is fairly recent purchase (no real measure though) and got 151 059 which is version 3.x. I am dissapointed knowing that the 4.0 is a better unit and has better features. I usually fit my own decoders but the purists

need to see what's on the box when selling them later. There are far better sound sets out there but not all are fully featured, still a bit of a minefield.

Thanks for your comments. I had been on the verge of buying R2995XS (class 5) but I definitely now will wait for the official response which I rather expect will be that its V3.x

I wonder if there is some logical reason for the mix of versions being

used.

Hi everyone this is my first post on here so I hope I don't break the rules.

This issue of which version of decoder is fitted to a sound loco is very important to me so I am watching the progress of this thread with interest.

I would rather

buy a loco with the decoder fitted at source but not if it is going to be an older version.

Regards

Dave

Interesting debate on the version of Loksound. Although the later version may have additional features, it is the sound file installed that makes any significant difference. The installed soundfile may well be the same for both installations (Hornby may

like to answer this?) but I doubt it is different. The version of Loksound should only be significant to purchasers who wish to modifiy the sound files. This is possible with the purchase of the Loksound programmer at about the same cost of a sound decoder.

Blackbird said:

Interesting debate on the version of Loksound. Although the later version may have additional features, it is the sound file installed that makes any significant difference. The installed soundfile may well be the same for

both installations (Hornby may like to answer this?) but I doubt it is different. The version of Loksound should only be significant to purchasers who wish to modifiy the sound files. This is possible with the purchase of the Loksound programmer at about the

same cost of a sound decoder.

Despite being a newcomer to DCC in general the technical spec of the V3 abd V4 are sufficiently different to merit consideration before purchase. The full spec in pdf form is available from ESU's site.

Anyone who may possibly wish to later upgrade

the sounds provided by Hornby will likely want to benefit from the larger sound file space in the V4. This space would allow for more or perhaps higher quality sounds.

Quote "Compared to their predecessors, Lok-Sound V4.0 Decoders ensure a far more

realistic sound experience. Combined with 8! sound channels, the decoder makes a sound volume up to four times louder than before possible."

"Developments with V4 further improve the driving characteristics, the operational reliability, the flexibility

of the decoders as well as the sound functions."

"So all LokSound V4.0 decoders come with a 32MBit memory chip on which you are able to store twice as much sounds than before."

The V4 has abandoned the unusual 100 ohm speakers giving more after

market options and it would seem that motor control via the CV options has been expanded.

Still waiting for offical answer but since Graskie has pretty much confirmed its V3.x i'm cold on the purchase now. Interestingly the retailer I was going to buy

from, despite being a re seller of ESU sound decoders with well known alternate sound files, did not know that hardware wise the V3 and V4 are different. Not just a firmware upgrade as they supposed.

poliss said:

The most important things are the sound files, the speaker and the speaker enclosure.
Have you checked out the other makes of sound decoders to compare with Loksound?

Were derailed here. This thread is about

what/why Hornby are fitting and how a prospective buyer of factory fitted loco can know before being stuck with it.

poliss said:

The decoder fitted is given in the downloads section of the website.

I have already seen there the Black 5 but with an apparent info issue date of 2009 I had hopes that by now the later (prefered) decoder would

be fitted and hence my original question which has expanded more into the hows/whys/benefits. Hornby locos constantly go out of stock which ive always found strange but at least it would allow for the fitting of more up to date parts when the assembly line

is fired up again. Its been out years (the V4 or MK2 as would have been better called)

Archived