Railmaster App

Fought against my principles and bought the app last night. Got the activation code within two and a half hours, put the code in and it worked perfectly, all my locos and points worked fine, better than evaluation version that only worked for a few clicks.

Got home from work and couldn't wait to try it on my IPad, didn't work only in evaluation mode. Rang support who told me I would need to purchase another code or uninstall RM and reinstalll for IPad. Thought about it for a couple of mins and realised I would

lose everything so rang them back and suddenly they couldn't help and I would have to email railmaster support, awaiting response.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fought against what principles? You didn't really want the app in the first place?

You would have to uninstall RailMaster????? That sounds rather odd. Why would you need to uninstall RailMaster, when there is just a deactivate function in the software?

And

you would never have to lose anything in any event as you can easily back up all your locos, plans and programs.

Seems as though you are not actually talking to Hornby on this.

Many thanks to RM support. All working and very impressed Yes you can deactivate just the app but that's not what I was told in my first phone call. The 'principle' was that I felt the app was overpriced like a lot of Hornby products, have you seen the

price of bicycles !!!!!!!!

And have you seen the price of any model railway products in Germany, Italy, France, Spain, USA ...... ????

We have among the cheapest model railway products of anywhere in the world and we should be grateful for it.

How can £9.99 for a controller

in your hand be overpriced!! I will never understand the British obsession with penny-pinching even when faced with good product and I'm British!

You said it yourself ... you're "Impressed". Surely that's worth a measly tenner.

What you want

to complain about if £275 for a sound loco. That's mad! Yet on the continent the same thing is £400. I'll never figure it out.

I don't consider spending over £1000 on setting up a basic DCC layout penny pinching and I know £10 is not a lot but I have been using logmein for free and my iPhone and iPad are full of free and low cost apps.

Although your feelings for Hornby are

well documented you cannot deny that modelling (especially DCC) has become an expensive hobby.

Well at least you agree than the £10 for the app is insignificant. It is an expensive hobby but then again you choose to go into ot not. You could do model airplanes or boats or soldiers. We all know what we are getting into just by looking at the catalogue

and price list before embarking on this hobby.

When a loco costs £275 and a coach costs £50 then RailMaster at £50 and the app for another tenner are ridiculously good value when you consider the overall added enjoyment they give to the entire hobby.

A coach is a coach is a coach and for the same price you can control your layout in a different and I believe more interesting way.

The trouble with a lot of people is that they think because it is software it just falls out of the sky and therefore

should be free.

Of the apps available for the iPhone and others the vast majority of the free ones are useless (and many carry advertising). Also, other so-called free apps are evaluations and indeed Hornby have provided a free evaluation app which

works fine for a lot of people.

Hi BigNoj, can you be a bit more specific please as to exactly what happened please. What did you buy (RM itself or handheld app, where did you buy it from and how, what worked first on what, then why it didn't work on the iPad and what exactly you did

to fix it?

Sorry to be a pain but I'm sitting here in Aust and not at all sure exactly what the procedures are now. I'm hoping more will be revealed when my evaluation copy runs out in a couple of days.

Fishmanoz sorry for delay, some of us have to go to work, we are not all retired you know.

When you connect your handheld device to RM you get the initial connection screen, went into shopping basket paid my 9.99 and then received email from Hornby

RM support about 2 1/2 hours later with activation code. Because I received it on my Iphone I entered code on same, it took couple of mins checking then the app had full capability with all locos & points. Following day tried it with my Ipad and it would only

work in evaluation mode, rang support to be told I would need to uninstall RM and then reinstall and connect Ipad. Thought about it and panicked thinking I would lose everything so rang back to be told I would need to email RM support, as they would not take

phone calls, with my problem. Received email back after couple of hours saying I would need to buy further code to operate on Ipad as it was not possible to deactivate it at this time, so I emailed back saying I wasn't happy and I wanted to connect via Ipad

not Iphone, they then emailed back saying that I could select the licence number in the Help screen and deactivate and then reactivate using the Ipad. All very simple in the end, hope that helps.

Finally can I just say that my layout is 95% Hornby and I

am very happy with it all and I was just having a little (9.99) whinge and did not want to incur the wrath of LMStim who must of been having a bad day as he is normally very helpful.

Hi BigNoj, thanks for that, now I understand fully. And apologies if you thought I was having a go on the other thread - not the case at all, just trying to point out there that I had already asked the question. Not exactly retired either - have 2 part

time jobs that keep me pretty busy but with online access while I'm doing them.

I will certainly be checking if I have the buy option on my iPad app as I don't remember having seen it there either.

Interesting, just opened the app, it downloaded v1.3 but certainly doesn't seem to have any option to buy the licences version.

Where on the screen can you see the purchase option?

If no online on this one, it can't be bought at all because it certainly

doesn't appear anywhere as a physical package to buy.

Whether you are running RailMaster on the PC in evaluation mode makes no difference. The hand-held app, if if that is also an evaluation, will be able to connect to the RailMaster PC .... HOWEVER .... you musts of course have set up your networking correctly,

that means your Wifi router, RailMaster PC and hand-helds.

The HandHelds PDF guide has a full section on ensuring your network is set up correctly, otherwise your hand-held won't connect, whether evaluation or not.

When you run RailMaster it will have asked you if you want to view the latest news. Answering yes would take you to a page showing all the details of the apps and where you can download them from. You can also access the news page from the About screen.

It's all in the manual.

The critical part is getting the IP addy of the computer that has RailMaster correct. That said I had issue in that it worked OK then I kept getting a message asking if what I wanted to do was OK and then nothing happened - will revisit when I get the

full copy of RailMaster.

Brilliant - I have now been using the app on my ipad since validation and it has provided a new dimension to the hobby. One that I have wanted for some time. After a lot of issues during the beta all is working very well indeed. One or two occasional glitches

which may be bugs or my computer. Whatever only a slight irritant. Points work no problem although would be nice to have the lines appear and personally I would like to be able to select trains by decoder number rather than scroll down by name - may be possible

in future to allow you to type in number in current number box above train control.

Well done Railmaster and Hornby - keep up the good work - don't forget to offer additional apps at a discount price - not only fair but will raise you more revenue.

Malcolm

LMSTim said:

When you run RailMaster it will have asked you if you want to view the latest news. Answering yes would take you to a page showing all the details of the apps and where you can download them from. You can also access the news

page from the About screen. It's all in the manual.

When i opened railmaster it did not ask me if i wanted to view the latest news. I then went to the about screen and i could not find a link to the news page on there. Nor did the manual

say anything about the app. thanks for the help

Auslner

ON the RailMaster screen click on the ? icon this will bring up a pop-up that say RailMaster is award winning software. Down the bottom of that pop-up is a Globe icon, click on that and it brings up the latest news page with all the info

re the app.

Cheers

Dave

When I downloaded the software on the IPad it didn't find my PC. If i leave the first screen (which says hornby railmaster 1.13 in a central box) without touching, it does nothing. If I tap on the box it goes to settings and if I follow the manual which

said to change the settings to 192.168.0.1 and 30 on the iPad and press back, it says please wait and does nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Is my PC supposed to be set to a particular IP address? I went into Network Settings on the PC and tried changing

the IP address to 192.168.0.1 instead of it being automatic but that just stopped the Internet working and the iPad still didn't connect.

Help please (before the computer heads out the window)

When you downloaded the software using the link in the latest news file in RM, did you also download the installation instructions? Towards the back of that file, there is a section on how to set your static IP address. I'm assuming you have because you

are using the sample IP address it uses?

To find out what your PC is actually set to, open a command window and type in ipconfig. Now the PC address you are looking for is the one under TCP/IP 4. Use this address as your static address. Use the subnet mask

address in the instructions and, also as per the instructions, the network address will be as per the PC except with 1 as the last number. I hope I have that right for you as I'm doing it from memory, not looking at the screen.

Having done all that, set

the iPad to the PC address and you should get an instant connection.

You don't set the iPad address to the same address as the PC. All IP addresses on the network must be unique. Full instructions are given in the PDF guide, however, you should firt understand the basics of netowrking ... IP addresses, subnet masks and

port numbers. There are plenty of guides on the Internet, however if you read the instructions carefully and have a normal network then the instructions work in 99.9% of scenarios.

Archived