Hand held on ipod and Samsung galaxy s2

Andie

I have after much pain connected rail master to my iPod and activated working ok. So I thought let's put it on my Samsung s2. I cannot get to connect in settings it says waiting for server. Any thoughts? Full wifi signal ip address correct.

Presumably you've read the pdf manual for the handheld? This pretty much tells you everything you need to do to set it up. It's very easy if you go through it step by step.

Have you PINGed the Samsung from your PC to ensure it is actually connected

to your network?

Have you set the IP address so that it matches the range you're using on your network?

Have you made sure your firewall software on your PC isn't blocking the IP address of your Samsung?

This is all on the manual.

Another way to ensure you always get the same IP to any piece of hardware is to disable the DHCP in your router and allocate a definite address to each form of hardware on your network. This is called 'binding'. It is also far more secure for your system

and once set up correctly can stop outsiders accessing your network as only those on the bound system can access it. This works exceptionally well in wireless networks.

However, if you aren't sure how to do this then the instructions given by Fishmanoz

are excellent. Being a network engineer can bring one to ones knees sometimes when networks behave badly... trust me, I know!!!

In my own home network (I run my business from home with an SBS 2011 server) I have many pieces of equipment tied to it but with

static IP addresses. Even my Sky HD+ box is tied in and occasionally, when a new piece of equipment is logged into the system it can attempt to use an IP already allocated thus 'pinching' that IP from the other hardware when it is not switched on. So, IP binding

has major benefits.

Anyway, this isn't the definitive answer to your problem as it may not be for you. I offer it up as an alternative.

Another thing is to make sure you have your security set up correctly on the S2. By that I mean your wireless key...

either WEP, WAP or WAP2. the first is weak in security temrs and the latter the strongest. You will probably have the security already on your network but it needs to be entered into the S2 also. You may already have done this though.

Maybe even a simple

switching off and on of your router may suffice. Odd sounding but effective in some circumstances.

Thank you all for the advise,iPod is 192.168.2.14,Samsung .2.2,router 2.2and railmaster is on 2.3 using ports 50 to 57. Samsung Handheld set to look 192.168.2.3.55. iPod is on 192.168.2.3.50. For over a week they have never changed before then I wasn't

looking at them.

Only thing I haven't done is turn off the router.

My router would often switch device IPs if power went down or if I cycled its power manually thus fouling up my various train control software config file COM port settings, so the trick was to force the router to always use 'this address' by simply ticking

a box in each device/configure page on the router web-page.

Rob

Your Samsung and router have the same IP address. You can't do that. No wonder it's not working. Also, why are the ports 50-57 when the defaults are 30-37. Have you changed the ports on both the PC RailMaster and hand-held?

And what is "Handheld set

to look 192.168.2.3.55"? That doesn't make sense.

Why don't you read the PDF guide. It tells you all you need to know.

Hi Andie, still quite early in Aust so I'm yet to have my grumpy pill this morning, so let me put my reply a little differently. From what you've told us, there appears to be an IP conflict in that your S2 is the same as your router. That would explain

why it is unable to connect. You need to set it to an address not used by anything else in your network.

Your ports range is interesting too as it is not the default range. Did you have a need to change that? Whether you did or not, it seems to be

ok as your iPad is working on it. Also, given that devices search through the port range looking for a connection, I'm unsure whether you need to specify a different starting port for each handheld if you are using more then one? From my reading, I don't think

this is covered in the manual?

They do poliss in Auto IP addressing. But in this instance, we want to ensure fast comms by specifying fixed addresses and that is when we have to set it ourselves. We need an auto allocate then don't change command. Essentially, that is what my advice

is doing - first find the auto addressees using ipconfig, then set them as the static addresses with the advantage being that Auto will have avoided conflicts in the first place.

Andie, as LMSTim says you cannot have the same IP address used by two devices no matter which ports are used. The first device to switch on will use the IP allocated and the second unit will only clash and thus not work.

The ports are not really

relevant as you can allocate whatever you like (one per piece of hardware so they again don't clash) although there is no reason to change from the default unless other items take up those ports.

Your default gateway on your network (giving the router

and PC's an outside connection) will be 192.168.2.1 (the 2 being the network and the 1 being its allocated single address number), 192.168.2.2 will be the server IP address if you have one or it will be your first PC's allocated number. Then all you need do

is allocate incremental numbers to each other piece of hardware on the network, wireless or cabled. Do not repeat IP addresses. Your router should be able to allow you to allocate fixed IP's to each piece of hardware and you simply match that in Internet Protocol

Properties version 4 dialogue box which is under the Local Area Connection Dialogue box. In there you would enter, say for the first PC, 192.168.2.2 where you bullet 'Use the following IP address' and from that the Subnet Mask (with the 192 set of addresses)

is always 255.255.255.0 and your gateway will always be 192.168.2.1 (matching the router) and your initial DNS setting will also be 192.168.2.1. You would disable DHCP in the router if allocating every piece of hardware a fixed IP.

That's it. If you

already know this then I offer up this information for those who could use it.

Fishmanoz in his last post is correct in saying that you could use ipconfig from a command prompt to find each IP address alloctaed under DHCP by the router. However, it

is not foolproof and IP addresses can change so just beware of that.

Hope this helps...

Archived