Atlantics Only

The son of Triangman

That is an interesting observation.

The MILW Class A 4-4-2 was a good design and a high-speed performer

clocking well over 100mph, but the next generation of this design was the F7, a 4-6-4 with big driving wheels AND a large firebox. F7s were clocked at at close to 105mph for 50 miles (More precisely 104.9mph for 47.8 miles.)

The DRB Class 05 which was

essentially the same speed as Mallard (and yes, Mallard has the record) was a 4-6-4.

Arguably the most successful final express configuration in the US was most likly the 4-8-4 Northern.

Hi Oz for short, lets really put the cat

amongst the pigeons the A1's and F7's that you mention, ( here we go abuse from WTD, PP, and LC&DR ), what if they, the A1's and F7's had pulled a light load down hill, 125/6 it would have been a walk in the park.
If Bullied or Gresley had been poached

by the USA, with that loading gauge Hush Hush,the W1 would have been a resounding success.
Or if course Brunell had won the battle of the gauges, who would have needed diesels.

The Germans were closest. They hit their target of 200km/h (200.4) which works out to 124.5mph. Could they have tried again? We'll never know, they were soon distracted by other things.

The

W1 didn't steam well. Perhaps a bigger loading gauge might have helped, but it would have found plenty of competition from the big Northerns.

While

I'm a big fan of I.K. Brunel, I'm not sure how much real benefit there would be with a 7' gauge. Sadly with their maintenance burden, steam locomotives were doomed.

Adding further fuel to the fire the optimum wheel arrangement for British mainlines was the 4-6-4. The rebuilt W1 was a good steamer, it's 4-6-4(some debate as to whether it was a 4-6-2-2, but LNER classified as a 4-6-4) wheelbase with it's kylchap blastpip

that found it's way into the A4's, yes the W1 in original form wasn't the most reliable and not the best of steamers but once rebuilt into an A4 style beast, an A4 or Duchess would be pushed to hold a candle to it. 60700(10000) in rebuilt form was renown for

it's turn of speed even in it's later run down years the old lady could turn in a good turn of speed and power. Known simply by enthusiasts as "the monster" due to it's sheer size and awesome power, the rebuilt W1 was the record breaker tha never was, Gresley

had planned a high speed brake trial run in 1939 with her and another run for Mallard, both runs were stopped to events overseas at the time.

I do believe the British Railway scene suffered for not going the 7ft broad gauge route which offered a better

loading gauge and more stable locos and rolling stock.

We have forgotten that Mallard could have gone faster, Gresley reconed the old lady was good for another 10-15mph. Slowing down for Essendine Curves meant an end to the record and shuting off against

a full head of steam at 126mph made the middle big end bearing overheat. Mallard very nearly crashed at Essendine and was reported by a traction inspector there on the day as leaning over and rocking in a most alarming manner whilst rounding the tight curves

at Essendine at 90mph+. It as a close thing, we could have had a very high speed A4 crash!

Back to Atlantics!

Why only consider tender engines LMS Tilbury tank?

Although I'd really like a GWR County tank. I think they look more elegant than the praries. Perhapse the new railroad 440 County chassis could be a basis.

I have

thought about cobbling one together myself using a prarie body but I think there are too mant differenced with the tanks.

PS I thought I read somewhere one of these was painted maroon in the 20's anyone else know anything for sure?

LC&DR,

Hi, I guess the Adams Radial would be known by folk going West on their holidays and the Radials seemed to last into the 1960s. However, I like the looks of the Brighton Machines especially the I3 4-4-2T. Hope to make one in O Gauge - got

the kit, wheels & motor - just need some time, cup of tea and off we go!

Have fun.

Archived