RailMaster HandHeld app reduced prices for additional copies

Have you seen that you can now buy additional hand-held apps to turn the evaluation app into a full version for £4.99. Not bad at all.

Hornby are clearly listening to users and making it easier and cheaper to buy the the software. I think they are

going the same way with the RailMaster networking, having additional copies of the main program at a reduced price. We just need to wait and see what price that will be. If half the price, like the hand-held app, then that would be great.

I've just tried updating my RailMaster to 1.49. Previously I have managed to update direct from the RailMaster prompt but, after a while downloading, this time it told me I should update from Powerpos. They gave the address as www.powerpos.com/rail-master/update.exe

but I just got "Error 404 Page Not Found" message. Anyone else tried this?

Interesting when I checked it. I have 2 evaluation copies of RM on different laptops, still waiting for my licence to arrive by snail mail, one copy has expired and the other not. Both were running the latest iteration of v1.48.

So I opened the unexpired

one and it failed to update. So I went to the Powerpos site and downloaded and installed it without problem. Latest news tells me about the reduced price apps and the Release Notes tell me that as well as this, the release fixes some bugs and now checks for

wifi signal strength and static IP address for running apps.

I then opened the expired one and it found the v1.49 update and told me right there about the reduced price apps. It then installed the update and went back to telling me I needed to licence

it to continue using - patience please RM until the licence arrives!

So that leaves a question, why did one copy find the update and ask me to instal it, and the other not. I wondered if it might be something in the .ini file but I can't see any difference

that would cause this. Although it is interesting that the .ini file is not overwritten by the update process. Both my .ini files are dated differently but are both December 2012. They are different too, one contains the app track plan default area, and the

other not, although both have had an app connected to them. All a mystery to e revealed at a later date?

Deeply indebted to you, BigNoj. Thanks very much. Your suggested link www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup149.exe gets me to the correct place on this big desktop of mine. I now need to try accessing it from my laptop which runs RailMaster. I'm pretty

sure it will work. So, why was I directed to the false link by Hornby, which errored? That's bad. I already have admin rights as well, so why couldn't I just use the prompted download from Hornby direct either, as I have done with previous updates?

• 4 weeks later...
Graskie said:

I've just tried updating my RailMaster to 1.49. Previously I have managed to update direct from the RailMaster prompt but, after a while downloading, this time it told me I should update from Powerpos. They gave the address

as www.powerpos.com/rail-master/update.exe but I just got "Error 404 Page Not Found" message. Anyone else tried this?

I have the same problem - why cannot Hornby get software that updates simply as most other programs? Why cannot you download an update from Hornby? Not this other site that simply does not work! An answer from Hornby would be useful!

The update works fine if your antivirus or firewall are not blocking the program. That is not the fault of RailMaster. Also the link http://www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup149.exe works fine, so I don't know what you are complaining about.

You

will also see, clearly, that if your automatic download doesn't work (for the aforementioned reasons) that the file name is based on the latest version number, so 1.49 is rm_setup149.exe, 1.50 is bound to be rm_setup150.exe and so on.

It doesn't matter

where the download comes from. It could be on a server in Timbuktu and would still work, so this is a red herring.

This is not difficult to comprehend.

LMSTim said:

The update works fine if your antivirus or firewall are not blocking the program. That is not the fault of RailMaster. Also the link http://www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup149.exe works fine, so I don't know what you are

complaining about.

You will also see, clearly, that if your automatic download doesn't work (for the aforementioned reasons) that the file name is based on the latest version number, so 1.49 is rm_setup149.exe, 1.50 is bound to be rm_setup150.exe and

so on.

It doesn't matter where the download comes from. It could be on a server in Timbuktu and would still work, so this is a red herring.

This is not difficult to comprehend.

also the link you gave is not the same link as the software gives you - so I will try the link you gave thanks. Please don't assume that everybody that has problems is an idiot. There are problems with the software (as there is which all software)and I

should know having worked with computers for over 30 years. Railmaster has come a long way from when it started and is much better now - but still needs improvements.

PAC said:

also the link you gave is not the same link as the software gives you - so I will try the link you gave thanks. Please don't assume that everybody that has problems is an idiot. There are problems with the software (as there is

which all software)and I should know having worked with computers for over 30 years. Railmaster has come a long way from when it started and is much better now - but still needs improvements.

Archived