Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Hi Al

Yes some Wrenn are a lot cheaper now some of the more scarce models are holding their price, but as many items are now over 30 years old or more its not surprising.

The funny thing is there are people today making new Wrenn rolling stock by using the old moulds not kept by Dapol and/or with the assistance of Dapol with the ones they kept.

There is also a small British company making new locomotives for both Wrenn and Hornby Dublo 3 rail and 2 rail using new metal bodies and old style new chassis and refurbished ones, and some goods wagons.

Just got a Bachmann 10001 from the Bolton swapmeet that someone had attacked with silver paint on the numbers and central band. However it’s an excellent runner and seems fine on 1st radius curves. I built one of the Q Kits versions years ago that I never got to work properly, I think that one will find it’s way onto an online auction site shortly.

That’s what I was pondering Threelink! I have a spare set out of a later dock shunter but that would lose some of the mojo. I have now put it into a chassis ready to go into what I thought was an origami all MK1 version of the A unit but the light holder must have been a different design. The screw catches on the top of the X04 motor and the bottom of the holder is in the way of the screw that holds in the brass mounting for the motor. Looks like no lights. tired_face

I have a cow catcher for it so will fit that as soon as I find it.

forum_image_649d9aa7808b0.thumb.png.e0a134b8de730c03b1b7b9eb7316359d.png

Hi, RT. Is it possible that the bogie was intended for the B unit? I do not know whether powered B units were ever produced. I have only ever found non -powered versions but there is no reason why a B unit could not be powered, even if only as a neverwazza. It's a project on my list of things to do when time permits....

Hi, RT. Is it possible that the bogie was intended for the B unit? I do not know whether powered B units were ever produced. I have only ever found non -powered versions but there is no reason why a B unit could not be powered, even if only as a neverwazza. It's a project on my list of things to do when time permits....

Hi threelink,

The easy way to do that will be just to change the bodies over B unit onto a powered A unit the top fitting are the same.

The lower chassis are different the A unit is stepped, the B unit and Dummy A unit the chassis are flat with a raised column, 5 min maximum project.

Thanks Tony57, I think I have one of those brass bulb holders in a box of ‘junk’ I got a few years ago, that makes perfect sense. I always thought this chassis was from a MK1 version of the loco but obviously not. You learn something every day!

I have one of the B units but have never thought about motorising it but it would add a bit of oomph as long as I use a proper controller.

The A and B units have the 4 ‘exhausts’ at exactly the right spacing for a Tri-ang pantograph, something I mentioned on here that I noticed when running some of my Transcontinental stock and I think there was a reply that it had been a consideration before the double ended diesel was electrified. A 3 car electric unit (2 A units and a B) would make a great looking neverwazza!

I don’t think a powered B unit was ever produced but there was one version of the A unit with an X04 mounted in the body to create engine noise.

All the Transcontinental diesels used to be easily available in junk boxes for pennies, I used to get them for spare parts (The great thing about standardisation) and bin what I didn’t need. I also sold a box full of bogie frames, magnets, pole pieces etc. on eBay a few years ago as I have more than enough to outlast me. I suspect the change in value came with Pat Hammond’s first Rovex book with the blue diesel on the cover.

I have bought a few as non-runners and the only problem has been one or both wheel sets in the wrong way round shorting out the bogie.

Hi Rana

One of the great things about Triang they were ahead of everyone in those days.

Powered and non powered Transcontinental locos,

Class F7 Powered A unit non powered A unit and non powered B unit. Plenty of combinations of locos at head of train. A, A A, A B, A B A, A B B, A A B A, A B B A.

B60 Double cab Powered loco and non powered Loco Easy Double header or triple header.

Budd Railcar Powered loco and non powered Loco Easy Double Header also add a baggage in between

Al,

These are all HO for my British HO sideline. The tankers will probably all get a repaint to closer resemble the ones that run past the back of the house. Likewise, the Habfis need some work to look more like those Colas have been hauling recently. I have another Mehano 66 awaiting the airbrush and Colas colours on standby!

forum_image_64a5b7247fc6c.thumb.png.7ea56883cb05263ad6eb6a0f767674f1.png

forum_image_64a5b72aea096.thumb.png.fd4640b1376bb22d6dde7a480bdac563.png

Been on a small spending spree, brought two Wrenn Brighton Bell Pullman coaches Doris and Hazel both have white tables, my belle driving cars has brown tables as does the 2nd class coach, should look good, 1st class with white tables, 2nd class with brown tables.

Also brought 3 boxed Lima hooded bogie flat steel carriers in Railfreight Metals.

Just received a used R3050A - Class 56 083 - BR blue / yellow ends.

They're the colours, if you can see them!

Advertised correctly, but the previous owner heavily weathered her.

It was a strange presentation on Ebay, so I asked quite a lot of questions.

There was a video of her running, non-weathered - and which he said she was weathered, so there's no knowing how long ago that was!

She runs, but ....

1. Only one bogie picks up power - broken or disconnected wire somewhere.
  2. No lights are working - disconnected / broken wire, or just poor contacts - will investigate.
  3. Fans should work, but have obviously been disconnected. I'm hoping it's just the O-ring, as this is one feature I really like. Many disconnect, saying it was the cause of some irregular running, but I've never noticed that with the 31, 50 and 56 I have with working fans, and I run mine for hours at a time!

A new project for me!!

Al.

So far ....

One wire was broken off the bogie not picking up - should be fine now.

Found the 'spare' fan belt I have, and have replaced onto the fan and reassembled - now to relocate onto the flywheel ... and ensure the driveshaft's located on the bogie .. not that easy!

Only thing really outstanding is the lighting.

It has a strange blanking plate and seems to be way more than 8-pin DCC - looks like it's a 21-pin decoder which also has a couple of switches on it ... very strange.

Al.