Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Yesterdays aquisistions! R.751 Class 37 diesel mint boxed, needs cleaning and a good service, R.450 Fowler 2p, R.51S 57xx class pannier with smoke, R.152 BR Blue class 08, R.152 BR. Green Class 08(Box lid is missing), Corgi rail legends ST97603 BR A3 class

Trigo, 3 Blue Highlander train sets(old stock from antoher retailer), R.3005 28xx class, R.2784x Mallard x 6

The 'blue' DELTIC was built in 1955 as a privately owned demonstration locomotive. It spent many months on the London Midland and Eastern regions, before it was withdrawn in 1960. It was then moved into the Science Museum in South Kensington.

The

'LMS Twins' 10000 and 10001 retained the black livery with aluminium lining until about 1956 when they were painted in BR dark green with orange and black lining.

The SR 1Co-Co1 trio were also painted black with aluminium lining until 1956 when they

were painted in the same style as 10000 & 10001. The 10000 and 10201 series locomotives spent time on both the Southern and London Midland regions and finished their days at Willesden shed. Withdrawal dates were 10000 1963, cut up 1968, 10001 1966, cut up

1966, 10201 to 10203 1963 cut up 1968.

Graskie said:

As a very young lad in the early 1950's I often saw Deltic, 10000, 10001, 10201, 10202 and 10203 through Blisworth on the WCML. I haven't got any of them yet for my railway but what

sort of livery would they have had then? I can't quite remember but wouldn't mind getting some of them eventually (with sound, of course).

walkingthedog said:
WTD,
LMS lined green diesel 10000 made by bman. Goes with my black 10001 made by dpol.

What detail differences are there beside colour scheme? They are technically not suitable to run double headed in those liveries.

I was considering 2 B versions in green as I already have the D version of 10001 in black with LEL.

walkingthedog said:

I won't double head them Vespa, bit of an overkill on my layout. I got them because I liked them. Had a black one, thought it would be nice to have a green one.

Well thought out. I think that I will get

a green 10000 as Hornby have let me down once again at Christmas. I did get a nice Eco Drive Citizen watch, put away, as a consolation present.

Look I really am very sorry about this but I just cannot stand it any longer!!! What is this mystic "aquistion". Do you all mean an "A-C-Q-U-I-S-I-T-I-O-N"???

Not allowed to mention the sources involved but I have just made up two kits. One is a

very smart GWR 'Mink A' van while the other is a conflat. I have painted the flat wagon in S.R. light grey while the container is in navy blue and our friends MABEX (who are still in business albeit a very sad little story) are supplying me with Pickford's

Transfers.

If I cannot get the 'Oxford' Pickford's Mechanical Horse, the GWR Mechanical Gee-Gee with Flat

truck trailer will have to suffice. I will also have to make up a yard crane from which to dangle the container as transhipment proceeds!!

When

a schoolboy (it is a long time ago) I watched this process actually taking place in the GWR Vastern Road goods yard at Reading, in 12 inches to the foot scale. (Sighs deeply) We had a REAL railway then.

I am also making up a train of coal wagons but

am using all kits to do it with some notable exceptions. Hornby do both "C & G Ayres" of Reading and "Porter and Sons" of Marlow. However,

apart from Isleworth Coal (in a blue box) I have to resort entirely to kits for Southern Railway private owners. I

fancy "Woking Co-operative", "Meakins of Dorking", Stephens of Basingstoke but most especially (and I have two of these already) Fear Bros of Staines. I watched Fear's coal deliveries being fly-shunted into their siding in the UP yard at Staines from the age

of three. It is so wonderful to recreate such events in model form.

So, come on Mr. Hornby, let's have some Southern Private Owner wagons. I feel that there are far too many private owner coal wagons from the Midlands, the North and Wales.

the ferret said:

Look I really am very sorry about this but I just cannot stand it any longer!!! What is this mystic "aquistion". Do you all mean an "A-C-Q-U-I-S-I-T-I-O-N"???

Not allowed to mention the sources involved but I have

just made up two kits. One is a very smart GWR 'Mink A' van while the other is a conflat. I have painted the flat wagon in S.R. light grey while the container is in navy blue and our friends MABEX (who are still in business albeit a very sad little story)

are supplying me with Pickford's Transfers.

If I cannot get the 'Oxford' Pickford's Mechanical Horse, the GWR Mechanical Gee-Gee with Flat
truck trailer will have to suffice. I will also have to make up a yard crane from which to dangle the container

as transhipment proceeds!!

When a schoolboy (it is a long time ago) I watched this process actually taking place in the GWR Vastern Road goods yard at Reading, in 12 inches to the foot scale. (Sighs deeply) We had a REAL railway then.

I am also

making up a train of coal wagons but am using all kits to do it with some notable exceptions. Hornby do both "C & G Ayres" of Reading and "Porter and Sons" of Marlow. However,
apart from Isleworth Coal (in a blue box) I have to resort entirely to kits for

Southern Railway private owners. I fancy "Woking Co-operative", "Meakins of Dorking", Stephens of Basingstoke but most especially (and I have two of these already) Fear Bros of Staines. I watched Fear's coal deliveries being fly-shunted into their siding in

the UP yard at Staines from the age of three. It is so wonderful to recreate such events in model form.

So, come on Mr. Hornby, let's have some Southern Private Owner wagons. I feel that there are far too many private owner coal wagons from the Midlands,

the North and Wales.

Hornby have done Oxfordshire based coal merchant as have Dapol - not sure if this would be a little to far away though.

I too would welcome more South Eastern located trader's wagons, BUT realistically the vast majority of coal traders were located in the Midlands, the North of England and in South Wales, which was where the coal was mined. Additionally a lot of coal for

power generation, gas production and industry in London and the South came by sea, and therefore did not arrive in railway trucks. Big companies like Cory, and Stephenson Clarke dominated the coal distribution business, so the little local traders were the

exception and not the rule.

Local coal yards were good places to find the local trader, but they only received a small quantity of wagons at any one time, mainly because they only owned a small fleet, and wagons would be at a premium. Half the time

they would be running back empty to the colliery to be refilled.

Yes I would love some more Southern private trader wagons (Watcher of Herne Bay, Partridge of Dunton Green, Beadles of Erith, Tudhope of Gravesend, to name but a few).

the

ferret said:

Not allowed to mention the sources involved but I have just made up two

kits. One is a very smart GWR 'Mink A' van while the other is a conflat. I have painted the flat wagon in S.R. light grey while the container is in navy blue and our friends MABEX (who are still in business albeit a very sad little story) are supplying me

with Pickford's Transfers.

truck trailer will have to suffice. I will also have to make up a yard crane from which to dangle the container as transhipment

proceeds!!

When a schoolboy (it is a long time ago) I watched this process actually taking place in the GWR Vastern Road goods yard at Reading, in 12 inches to the foot scale. (Sighs deeply) We had a REAL railway then.

I am also making up a train

of coal wagons but am using all kits to do it with some notable exceptions. Hornby do both "C & G Ayres" of Reading and "Porter and Sons" of Marlow. However,

apart from Isleworth Coal (in a blue box) I have to resort entirely to kits for Southern Railway

private owners. I fancy "Woking Co-operative", "Meakins of Dorking", Stephens of Basingstoke but most especially (and I have two of these already) Fear Bros of Staines. I watched Fear's coal deliveries being fly-shunted into their siding in the UP yard at

Staines from the age of three. It is so wonderful to recreate such events in model form.

So, come on Mr. Hornby, let's have some Southern Private Owner wagons. I feel that there are far too many private owner coal wagons from the Midlands, the North

and Wales.

LC&DR said:

The 'blue' DELTIC was built in 1955 as a privately owned demonstration locomotive. It spent many months on the London Midland and Eastern regions, before it was withdrawn in 1960. It was then moved into the Science Museum in South

Kensington.

The 'LMS Twins' 10000 and 10001 retained the black livery with aluminium lining until about 1956 when they were painted in BR dark green with orange and black lining.

The SR 1Co-Co1 trio were also painted black with aluminium lining

until 1956 when they were painted in the same style as 10000 & 10001. The 10000 and 10201 series locomotives spent time on both the Southern and London Midland regions and finished their days at Willesden shed. Withdrawal dates were 10000 1963, cut up 1968,

10001 1966, cut up 1966, 10201 to 10203 1963 cut up 1968.

Graskie said:

As a very young lad in the early 1950's I often saw Deltic, 10000, 10001, 10201, 10202 and 10203 through Blisworth on the WCML. I haven't got any of them yet for my railway

but what sort of livery would they have had then? I can't quite remember but wouldn't mind getting some of them eventually (with sound, of course).
. Very sorry, LC. I meant to thank you for your info - very useful. So, because I saw these at a very

early age, probably just before 1952, I could get away with a blue Deltic? I have a feeling we did see some of the others running in pairs.

Well I took the plunge yesterday and bought 10000 & 10001 in BR green with eggshell blue waistband. I have a black 10001 that runs beautifully smoothly. Then I got an email from L'pool to say that the DOG 71000 is due 16th Dec. I thought I had cancelled

it but will let the order run now.

As I have said many times before, it is your railway, you can run what you like, with whatever you like, and although some things did not appear simultaneously in the real history, you can very easily write your own.

A very good example of this

is the 'O' gauge model railway in the NRM. One moment a LNER Goods train races by then a Class 40 on maroon mark 1s appears.

Enjoy!

Graskie said:

LC&DR said:

The 'blue' DELTIC was built in 1955 as a privately owned demonstration

locomotive. It spent many months on the London Midland and Eastern regions, before it was withdrawn in 1960. It was then moved into the Science Museum in South Kensington.

The 'LMS Twins' 10000 and 10001 retained the black livery with aluminium lining

until about 1956 when they were painted in BR dark green with orange and black lining.

The SR 1Co-Co1 trio were also painted black with aluminium lining until 1956 when they were painted in the same style as 10000 & 10001. The 10000 and 10201 series

locomotives spent time on both the Southern and London Midland regions and finished their days at Willesden shed. Withdrawal dates were 10000 1963, cut up 1968, 10001 1966, cut up 1966, 10201 to 10203 1963 cut up 1968.

Graskie said:

As a very

young lad in the early 1950's I often saw Deltic, 10000, 10001, 10201, 10202 and 10203 through Blisworth on the WCML. I haven't got any of them yet for my railway but what sort of livery would they have had then? I can't quite remember but wouldn't mind getting

some of them eventually (with sound, of course).. Very sorry, LC. I meant to thank you for your info - very useful. So, because I saw these at a very early age, probably just before 1952, I could get away with a blue Deltic? I have a feeling we did see some

of the others running in pairs.

Vespa said:

Well I took the plunge yesterday and bought 10000 & 10001 in BR green with eggshell blue waistband. I have a black 10001 that runs beautifully smoothly. Then I got an email from L'pool to say that the DOG 71000 is due 16th Dec.

I thought I had cancelled it but will let the order run now.

From information posted on RM*** today, there are only seven Hornby items that will arrive before Christmas, and DOG 71000 is one of those, in all formats. Everything else is now 2014.

Great post OPL. Succinct, to the point, no other manufacturers' products mentioned, no smart remarks, and nothing derogatory about other posters or their spelling skills (in case you were wondering, there are 2 typos in the thread title, not just the one

referred to recently and rather ostentatiously).

As you can tell, I have no recent purchases, my last now consigned a number of pages back up this thread. So I am reduced to smart remarks to remain at all relevant on this thread. So before Rumpole

rises to his feet to object, I withdraw this post your Honour.

I seem to recall my late Grandmother telling me how my Great Grandfather would buy a wagon load of coal direct from the colliery in a wagon "hired" from the railway (GWR) just before winter and distribute it to other members of the extended family to see

them through the winter.

From what she said I do not think it was via a coal merchant because I think she said it was cheaper to go direct. I must admit I'd be interested to know if anyone would know how this arrangement worked. The only thing I do

know is that he did run a shop and later a haulage business (never more than one cart/lorry!) so he could probably do this through his business rather than as an individual.