Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

Just received my Dapol Manor and I love it! I got Hook Norton Manor in the early lined BR black, which suits the Manor class very well in my opinion. Runs superbly on analogue, will be fitting the decoder later and taking to my DCC layout. The instructions say it doesn't need any running in, but I did just to be on the safe side, however I didn't notice much improvement as it was very good out of the box. I would still recommend it though as the torque and speed improved ever so slightly. Best part is the safety bonnet - it's so shiny! Shame the chimney cap isn't up to the same standard though. Firebox flicker is very effective, can't wait to see it on DCC in the dark. This is my first Dapol locomotive and I'm impressed so far.

Also got a second hand DCC fitted Bachmann 64xx in early BR black to renumber to be one that ran on the line past my house in years gone by. Unfortunately, it doesn't want to work on the analogue layout, no life at all. I took it apart quickly and tested the motor - all fine, so I can only presume it's a dodgy decoder or circuit board, will have to conduct further experiments. The 6-pin decoder can be fitted in both ways around, so maybe the previous owner has it in the wrong way? It's not very clear where the 'number 1' pin should be plugged. There was no blanking plug in the box and I don't have any other 6-pin locos to borrow one from. I bought it from Hattons, which had it listed as 'recently tested and fine'. Ah well, we shall see. For now I'm enjoying on the Manor!

Hi

I have just gone and brought myself a Wrenn 5 car Brighton Belle in BR Blue and Grey which was only made in the forth Period in the history of Wrenn, ok its secondhand with a little paint loss but as it is 30 plus years old and that is acceptable to me

I remember hand delivering a car radio for review by the Press, our team had checked it over thoroughly and seeing I was hand carrying it to Germany, it was not supposed to go in the Hold for fear of it getting scratched

What is the relevance of this bit of the post ????

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally here. Not one I particularly wanted, but it'll make a great collectors item.

forum_image_632044c1d6a35.png.7fbf26fbe87e96329d9dc446874b27b0.png

This thing was also absolutely draped in bubble wrap. I don't know if this is because this is a special limited edition item, or this is just standard practice from Hornby now. If it is indeed the latter, I'm quite impressed, this thing was packaged extremely well. The cardboard box was double wrapped, then the loco box itself was wrapped inside the cardboard box, which all came in another cardboard box. Hats off to Hornby for this one.

forum_image_632044c4562f2.thumb.png.9de8b715ba7f0422b330d1653beb41cf.png

Tell you what, that Bachmann G2A is an absolutely superb little locomotive - great traction and looks absolutely great.

I added weight to the tender as normal, to get the relative weights more realistic. Yes, I know it may decrease a little the hauling capacity, but if it has, it's not obvious.

Fantastic little - relatively, it is an 0-8-0 - locomotive.

Al.

Here's the rub.

That Dapol 68 is a superb locomotive - runs brilliantly.

It's my 2nd, as I've a rake of TPE coaches from A/Scale coming soon.

Brutus is my 1st. It RAN well, but as Sam reliably advised, it has huge traction, but cannot spin its wheels.

It is well known their couplings are not level, and un-Supervised, it uncoupled, lapped the loop, made contact, derailed and burnt out the 1st motor, which also required a motor mount cradle as it had melted.

Amazingly the PCB was fine.

Motor #2 has been good, but has suddenly started to play up - perhaps its the brushes worn down as it has run for perhaps 40-50 hours' time ...

Motor #3 will soon arrive. I'll give the whole power train a full once over, in case there are pinch points.

Al.

Seems as if Hornby have indeed started to cushion their locos and wrap them far better these days.

I have been super excited to get this loco, can't wait to get it running. I'm curious to see how it handles 2nd radius curves, or if it's strictly a 3rd radius loco.

forum_image_6322ee31e75c0.png.8e4c4f52f6bd090c196bb8aa7886967f.png

forum_image_6322ee34711d9.png.e6fa00aa9e0ed63d8c4f49953089f71a.png

The picture of the 21-Pin decoder install guide. Anyone know what the smaller yellow piece is? The speaker?

forum_image_6322ee36c3977.png.73625d28e5a641303338a9dd3cd13465.png