What could do with a re-tool or an upgrade?

Jeremiah

I was looking at the 2bil in the NRM shop this morning. I had to look very hard to see if the commode handles (by the door handle) and the roof ventilators were moulded or added. Because they are picked out in a silver colour the commode handles look like

they have space behind them. What does help in appearance is flush glazed windows.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LC&DR said:

Ah well, I fear you may be disappointed. Hornby with their 'Design Clever' policy seems to be going down the route of simplification. You might get the proportions of the class 90 sorted out, although, if it requires a completely

new body the chances get slimmer, but I think the days of separately applied metal handrails are fast disappearing. Things like smoke-box darts and deflector handrails are now moulded rather than applied separate items on steam locomotives, so things like

cab handrails and jumper cables, low relief logos (for instance the cast BR symbol or Swallow logo) on diesels and electrics may be printed on in future. It is a return to the 1980s. I have Lima models of that era, and a class 52 Western had all these features

as either moulded or printed detail, and at 'normal viewing distance' is hardly noticeable........

I understand where you are coming from but those details I have outlined are quite a basic standard for modern models so I don't think Hornby

will omit those unless they wish to pass AC locos to their competitors. Sooner or later the ACs will have to be retooled after all.
The question, however, who will be the first to release properly tooled ones still remains.

Tracksy said:

I understand where you are coming from but those details I have outlined are quite a basic standard for modern models so I don't think Hornby will omit those unless they wish to pass AC locos to their competitors. Sooner or

later the ACs will have to be retooled after all.
The question, however, who will be the first to release properly tooled ones still remains.

How I wish Hornby were the ones to re-tool it...sadly they don't seem to listen

Tracksy said:

Well... everything to be honest. Lets take for example the class 90. There are major mistakes on it such us the completely wrong face or the inappropriately proportioned grills. The class 92 has its Channel Tunnel logos missing

(they are just painted), the body sits too high on the bogies, the third rail shoes are missing, the front windows are wrongly etched, there are black circles around the lights that are missing as well and so on...
We need to have all electric locos fitted

with proper central body motors (!), metal handrails installed (!), working lights installed (only 92 has them!), cabin lights, sprung buffers installed (!) and buffer details included (!). Some inaccuracies should be fixed as well and all locos need new pantographs

(!). The class 86, 87 and 92 models seem to me to be the closest to the real locos so those will be the easiest to do. Class 90 is the worst (accuracy wise) and needs the most attention and the class 91 looks more like a toy than a model.

You

are absolutely correct Tracksy!! But the problem with Hornby is that they think there isn't any demand for AC Electrics - to that I strongly disagree. Continuing with your example, the 90 only looks like one if you make it go blurred, but if you start looking

closely you'll will find tons of mistakes. Where will the demand come from if one is offered a model which is highly inaccurate? I can agree that N gauge AC locos are not in demand because many say that N gauge is just becoming popular and modern era N gauge

is still creeping up slowly. But for 00 scale modern locos have been around for long and there is indeed demand but what is offered is not worth a penny. I'm sure if Hornby completely re-tool their 86, 87, 90, 91 and 92 quite a few will go for it...and it

would be popular in a few years. It is worth the risk

It isn't just AC locomotives that are badly served to us, BUT electric trains of every kind. I applaud the introduction of the 5Bel and 2Bil by Hornby, and the 2EPB, 4Cep and MLV elsewhere, but these are not a lot of good if you model the contemporary

scene, AND don't want HS1.

There are still a number of interesting AC EMUs about and more to come I have no doubt with Crossrail, GW electrification, Trans-pennine electrification and the Electric Spine. One would hope that there might be suitable

things in the pipeline to recognise that this is the future of train travel, and not every thing is a 'Pendolino' or a 'Rapier'.

walkingthedog said:

To update my reply, I contacted Hornby via the comment form about new semaphore signals and they replied 48 hours later to say no pans at the moment.

Has anybody done the same for AC locos?

OOOoooo...!!

I have I have....! like about twice a year for the lase 3 years!!! Got the same reply you did with your semaphore signals!! It's usually 3 different people who just send that automated response. I find it easier to suggest via twitter or facebook.

Lets see what is going to be their reply now...I'm going to suggest a few liveries now...

Virgin XC HST (buffered version also)

BR Blue Class 08

RTC Class 31

EWS Class 60

IC Class 31

HNRC Class 20

EWS Class 92

EWS Class 66...

to

name a few. Im pretty sure what their response going to be though.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65710-hornby-sentinel-at-last/page-5 Here's a look at the Sentinel (post # 125) Should get those in a few more liveries next year.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58729-any-hope-of-getting-a-re-tooled-class-90/page-7

My pointers to what all issues the Class 90 has (post # 158) (Post #165 is my sketch of a Class 90 which could be of use to Hornby with their plans to re-tool it...Imade it easier for them LOL!!)

Jeremiah said:

Lets see what is going to be their reply now...I'm going to suggest a few liveries now...

Virgin XC HST (buffered version also)
BR Blue Class 08
RTC Class 31
EWS Class 60
IC Class 31
HNRC Class 20
EWS

Class 92
EWS Class 66...

to name a few. Im pretty sure what their response going to be though.

Bluebox is doing the class 66 and 20 and those are already very good models so I doubt Hornby will bother. However EWS 60 and 92 and original

livery 60 and 92 should be re-released IMO.

I don't think its realistic to ask Hornby to retool all ACs at once but one per year or two years seems doable. It also seems realistic if Hornby concentrates on 2-3 ACs while the rest are done by different

companies but after all I'm not the one reading Hornby's corporate papers so I might be mistaken.
Perhaps an official poll of some sort on Facebook will be a good idea? I'm quite curious what locos/wagons/MUs are most "trendy" at the moment :)

walkingthedog said:

That may be the case with you Jeremiah but the reply I got was not automated, it discussed the items I requested which was only for signals. I in turn replied and got a polite answer immediately.

I find

that I get that automated type of response only for suggestions. Otherwise it is a personal touch. Infact It seems automated because I get the exact same response to all suggestions i.e. what you posted and only the responders name changes. Doesn't bother

me though.

The LMS Restaurant car that is due for a return, if it hasn't had a re-tool, that would be a bit of a let down. It is pretty reasonable, I have a B&C version that I was going to respray, but with the re-introduction, she still sits awaiting delivery to

WTD.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple for the GWR branch line fans - if you still exist?

I would suggest that the ex-Airfix Dean Goods (with a loco drive chassis) should be possible like they have done with the Fowler 4F and 2P, and the railroad 4-4-0s. And another loco that really

needs a chassis upgrade is the ex-Airfix 14XX. I have one Hornby version, and a near identical one from D'pol, and neither runs any better than the Airfix one I owned back in the 1980s. Surely it should be possible to have proper 6 wheel pick-up and ditch

the traction tyres, since no-one is going to use this little tank to pull more than a couple of coaches or a handful of wagons.

I shall say to you what I said earlier about North Eastern locomotives. I fully agree that the Dean Goods and 14xx deserve a upgrade, but Hornby's track record on small steam locomotives that don't fit the Railroad 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 mechanism is not good.

It is noticeable that the 4F and 2P have disappeared from the 2013 catalogue after only one year.

The 0-6-0 and 4-4-0 tender types were the most numerous during the heyday of steam, but few appear in the Hornby range, which tends to be dominated by

large 'prestigious' (and expensive) locomotives.

The little 0-4-2T, 0-4-4T, 0-6-2T and 4-4-2T were staple branch line power but only the older models are perpetuated by Hornby, only the M7 has appeared in recent years as completely new tooling.

I

hope you do get what you wish for, but I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you!

It would certainly be interesting if Hornby adopted the same policy with little engines as they have started to do with the big ones, by offering a Railroad and a super detailed version simultaneously. And yes the 14xx might just be the one to do it, especially

as the Railroad one could also be re-released with a face as TtTE 'Oliver'. It might usefully counter / complement the blue box 64xx for GW branch fans too.

The son of Triangman said:

The Dean Goods certainly does need to be direct drive.

A superdetail model of the 14xx tank loco would be a good addition with the old model relegated to Railroad.

Archived