What could do with a re-tool or an upgrade?

Jeremiah

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to admire them living in their little dream world!

The very thought of a 'City' at 102.5 down Whiteball fills me with dread. Those outside flycranks spinning round at high speed. For anyone on the footplate the sight of them would have

been terrifying.

I remember talking to a former SR footplateman about the Q1, where you could see the coupling rods from the cab. On most other locos they were partially obscured by the footplate, but on the Q1 you got a grandstand view! They dreaded

going too fast because the rods flying round looked so unsafe. The same effect would have been seen with Truro.

Personally I don't believe it.

Well said WTD. In fact, the article I read about Papyrus, actually poured scorn upon the FS feat,

he/she must have been from the same charm school as myself.

I think CoT has to be my fave, out of all the Loco's, in the custody of the NRM, with Green

Arrow, and the Q1, nipping at her heals.

I think there's no doubt that City of Truro got a move on whilst on the ocean mails, 104mph may or may not have been possible for the loco, I tend to think it did the record. It has proved a very lively loco whilst out on the main during it's last ticket,

the loco was having to be held back "straining at the bit" at 60mph at the start of it's mainline runs just after restoration. Footplate crews were quoted as saying it was "a real flyer".

Hi SoT

Straining at the bit at 60 is one thing, getting another 40mph out of it is a totally different matter. There's no doubt that she was going fast when Charles Rous-Martin said she did the 104mph but whether she did exceed the ton - the

old Scottish verdict - Not Proven!!

SoT I'm with you on this, I'm not a GW fan, but I do like CoT. I have heard the arguments that her valve gear, would allow such a high speed. They are not telling me, that I am the only person that has read articles by ex-drivers, who have touched the

" Ton ". Then the following day, same engine, same fireman on top of his game, even with a lighter load, the loco just wouldn't do it.

To be honest I don't really care what loco reached what speed and when. Mallard was the fastest and that still holds true so what reached 20 60 or 100 first doesn't really matter.

I suppose the one thing you can say about CoT, it was just doing its

day to day job when it might have touched over 100 as opposed to the others that were being specially timed and only pulling a guards van and a shunters truck.

I certainly wouldn't dream of exagerating like that, but Mallard had a full train, so did Silver Link and Papyrus. Only FS had a train shortened to any extent.

walkingthedog said:

Seems to have quiet from the GWR snipers. They'll

be telling me now that the other record breakers were pulling 15 coaches and the loco was going tender first.

If the Yanks get their way it will all become 'no longer relevant', there is a proposal to build a special locomotive. The Coalition for Sustainable Rail Project 130 plan to adapt a AT&SF 4-6-4 locomotive 3463 and burn bio-fuel too. The aim is to run at

130 mph.

LC&DR said:

If the Yanks get their way it will all become 'no longer relevant', there is a proposal to build a special locomotive. The Coalition for Sustainable Rail Project 130 plan to adapt a AT&SF 4-6-4 locomotive 3463 and burn bio-fuel

too. The aim is to run at 130 mph.
I just gone hunting for the article. It trips itself up. One minute they are talking about using an existing locomotive, next, a new build.
Either way if the USA attempt is successful, it will be a new record,

and Mallards will still stand, due to the fact Mallard was fired hand, regardless of fuel Bio or oil, the USA loco will be mechanically fired.

All right then, at least getting on with a reasonable load. The Coronation was only nine anyway, and, in theory, it was a test train rather than an attempt at the record. In many respects Silver Link did far better on it's record run and Nigel G on

the 1959 special did even better - 112, with a typical ECML load, and the driver was told to go no faster even though there was tons of steam in hand.

End of the day, there won't ever be a re-run!!!

walkingthedog said:

I thought

mallard only had seven coaches, hardly a full train PP.

I missed this one. On it's record run Mallard ran a bearing hot, that's all. That is not the same thing as saying it was knackered!!

walkingthedog said:

It's like Mallard, wasn't it knackered after its record run.

They do say

aircraft like the spitfire exceeded the speed of sound in a dive but broke up. Does that stand as a record.

SNG wasn't happy with Mallard's record, he is on record as saying the loco had another 10-15mph in it within safe limits, a second run was planned for 1939 but world events stopped this run. A lot of work was done on the design of the middle big end bearing

after Mallard's record attempt.

Then there's the unknown, the rebuilt W1 "Super A4", the loco was also "booked in" for a high speed brake trail in 1939 but world events stopped this. The loco had more railhead TE power than a Duchess or A4. The loco

was also proposed for fitting the famous Gresley booster to it as in the two 2-8-2 P1 frieght locos, raising the rebuilt W1's TE to around 71,000 TE at the railhead. Sadly this fine loco never got it's chance to shine due to world events. Perhaps we have a

possible challenger to the yanks effort if someone were to build a replica of the rebuilt W1 "Super A4" lcco???

Archived