What could do with a re-tool or an upgrade?

Jeremiah

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi WTD

With a 'shot' bearing it had to come off the train, in the same way as a big end bearing on the car would have to be repaired. Not really a big job - it was back in traffic within a few days.

The Booster on the W1, as mentioned by

SoT, is a bit of a 'red herring' since it is, I believe, a device for increasing the power available AT STARTING and having no relevance to top speed.

I agree, Mallard holds the record. We can discuss it here till we are black in the face but nothing

will change. Things may change IF the Americans build their Super Loco but no matter what they do the chassis of the loco is going to be 50 yrs+ old. Bitterne is older, I know, but it is only cleared for the 3 high speed runs.

Like I said before PP it's the record as it stands that counts. That fact that Cycloped may have been the first loco to exceed 20 mph with its 1hp over the jumps at Aintree is of no consequence.

CoT may have gone through the sound barrier for all we

know but Mallard was recorded.

I agree in theory the booster was for just starting the two P1 class locos hauling long brick trains, in use it was found that running drawbar horsepower, speed and TE were also increased with it's usage considerably.

The rebuilt W1 "Super A4" without

booster had a working railhead tractive effort of 41,437lb, outclassing a Duchess, Spam Can and King.

The "bog standard" A4 had a working railhead tractive effort of 35,455lb.

Whilst Tractive efort isn't every thing, a loco with a high TE can

slip a lot, the rebuilt W1 sisn't and out-horsed the A4 by a mile.

I am sure he will have better things to spend his money on soon. Isn't Bucks going to be rendered uninhabitable by HS2?

Postman Prat said:

Hi LC&DR

WTD will be rich enough to put his hand in his pocket, and not miss the money

required. We know he's wealthy - he lives in Bucks!!!

Or was that an offer from you to pay out of your pension pot??

Unfortunately the rich, ruling classes have not spent very much on useful railways or roads, I think I could forgive that kind of 'ruination'. Have you ever tried to drive to Scarborough on a Summer Saturday, or go over the Pennines from Leeds to Manchester

by car or train?? Nightmare!

Postman Prat said:

After the way the rich, ruling classes have devastated the North and midlands over the years it's about time they found out what it's like!!!!!

LC&DR said:

Unfortunately the rich, ruling classes have not spent very much on useful railways or roads, I think I could forgive that kind of 'ruination'. Have you ever tried to drive to Scarborough on a Summer Saturday, or go over the Pennines

from Leeds to Manchester by car or train?? Nightmare!

Postman Prat said:

After the way the rich, ruling classes have devastated the North and midlands over the years it's about time they found out what it's like!!!!!
LC&DR, I live

in the Leeds Manchester corridor, trying to get any where is a nightmare.

I heard a talk by a senior planner for TransPennine Express the other day who was promising more trains = more seats, by 2016, and we have another speaker next week about 'The Northern Hub', which again should be some help for us in York Leeds and Manchester.

So

lets hope that the railway at least will be better. As for the M62, I despair!

mortehoe said:

LC&DR said:

Unfortunately the rich, ruling classes have not spent very much on useful railways or roads, I think I could forgive that

kind of 'ruination'. Have you ever tried to drive to Scarborough on a Summer Saturday, or go over the Pennines from Leeds to Manchester by car or train?? Nightmare!

Postman Prat said:

After the way the rich, ruling classes have devastated

the North and midlands over the years it's about time they found out what it's like!!!!!LC&DR, I live in the Leeds Manchester corridor, trying to get any where is a nightmare.

SoT,

I am surprised that you suggest that we sacrifice an duplicate existing locomotive to build a replica!

That is more like something LC&DR might suggest!

I am waiting to see what the two P2 projects eventually come up with. I know

a little more about the Doncaster group, as I serve on a committee with one of their fund raisers, although surprisingly he is also heavily involved with Tornado too! He tells me that they are well advanced in the design stage. I watch this all with interest.

The

son of Triangman said:

Well the tender for the "Super A4" still exists so we are part the way there, it runs behind Union of South Africa nowadays.

Archived