Desirable features for future Railmaster Software updates

@RAFHAAA96th

Hi, Is this a desirable feature?

I hope someone at Hornby understands your meaning, because I am struggling.

If I remember correctly we only started by raising the Red / Green button issue.

(This is genuinely intended to be constructive

criticism)

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RDS said:

@RAFHAAA96th
Hi, Is this a desirable feature?
I hope someone at Hornby understands your meaning, because I am struggling.
If I remember correctly we only started by raising the Red / Green button issue.
(This is genuinely

intended to be constructive criticism)

@RDS
Constructive criticism appreciated.
I was just concurring with Stingray that the problem of amending code to facilitate clicking a point on plan to change the point direction is not so difficult

to do inside programing. I didn't expect anyone to start reverse engineering RM using Notepad on the basis of my ravings.
I appreciate the OP was about red/green buttons but one led to the other.
That said I don't feel that the current fettled red/green'

buttons with their arrows are of any great help to users colour blind or not.

@RAFHAAA96th

OK thanks.

As a colour blind Railmaster user, I can confirm that the changes have not helped me one little bit!

I made this comment on a thread recently and I have checked with my wife who is not colour blind but I find it very

easy to tell the difference between the Red & Green icons on the design screen button. I can even tell which is which! It is only when they are put on a Track Layout that I find it impossible to tell the difference, so I cannot understand why 2 different shades

of Red and Green have been used.

I do not really know what purpose the arrows are supposed to serve. I think they work quite well when the point is positioned in a vertical piece of track and therefore the point is clicked Left or Right but they seem all

wrong when positioned on a horizontal piece of track when the point can be clicked up or down and the arrows still point left and right.

RDS said:

@RAFHAAA96th...
I do not really know what purpose the arrows are supposed to serve. I think they work quite well when the point is positioned in a vertical piece of track and therefore the point is clicked Left or Right but they

seem all wrong when positioned on a horizontal piece of track when the point can be clicked up or down and the arrows still point left and right.

Agreed on the arrows

Surely it's simple, and should help with colour blindness. The arrows represent which is the left throw button or the right throw button, irrespective of point orientation. This will be even more needed when 45 degree points are available. Then the arrows

will only represent the direction of throw in 1 out of 8 points (vertically up), but all 8 will be set either left or right, as represented by the arrow on the button. Arrow replaces colour.

Think about it?

Fishmanoz said:

Surely it's simple, and should help with colour blindness. The arrows represent which is the left throw button or the right throw button, irrespective of point orientation. This will be even more needed when 45 degree points

are available. Then the arrows will only represent the direction of throw in 1 out of 8 points (vertically up), but all 8 will be set either left or right, as represented by the arrow on the button. Arrow replaces colour.

Think about it?

It

hasn't replaced colour, now instead of two we have three.

I have two points on one straight length of track, one left and one right. The arrows are different colours and point in different directions.

On my siding points, the arrows point at

each other and it is only by the colour that you can tell which way the points are set.

Maybe Hornby should have provided more point variations before this update.

Maybe Hornby should add another button to revert to the previous update so that

I'm not sat here with nothing working on my set.

This thread is supposed to just be a listing of desirable features for future upgrades, discussion of problems should be elsewhere. However, as discussion has started here, let me summarise:

As I said, the logic on the point arrows, which complement

the point button coloured dots, is simple. No matter which direction your point icon is oriented, if you turn your head to look from the single end toward the double end (this is actually looking from toe end to heel end, something that was discussed st length

in General forum recently), you will find the red button is on the left track side of the point and the green button is on the right. Also, the red button arrow points towards the left of the screen, and the green button arrow towards the right. This logic

is simple and consistent for every point.

Now if we look at which direction the point is set, there are 3 indicators for this, again all consistent. First, the blue track indicator runs in the set direction. Second, the colour of the dot is bright

in the set direction, and dull the other way. Third, the arrow in the dot is black in the set direction, and white in the other direction. If you throw a point by clicking on it, you get a beep, a circular flash around the point and all 3 of the blue track

arrow, dot brightness and black dot arrow change to match the new direction. If you click on the dot in the set direction, they all remain the same as does the point.

Does anyone have something different showing on theirs? If so and you want to discuss

further, please start a new thread.

Fishmanoz said:

This thread is supposed to just be a listing of desirable features for future upgrades, discussion of problems should be elsewhere. However, as discussion has started here, let me summarise:

As I said, the logic on

the point arrows, which complement the point button coloured dots, is simple. No matter which direction your point icon is oriented, if you turn your head to look from the single end toward the double end (this is actually looking from toe end to heel end,

something that was discussed st length in General forum recently), you will find the red button is on the left track side of the point and the green button is on the right. Also, the red button arrow points towards the left of the screen, and the green button

arrow towards the right. This logic is simple and consistent for every point.

Now if we look at which direction the point is set, there are 3 indicators for this, again all consistent. First, the blue track indicator runs in the set direction. Second,

the colour of the dot is bright in the set direction, and dull the other way. Third, the arrow in the dot is black in the set direction, and white in the other direction. If you throw a point by clicking on it, you get a beep, a circular flash around the point

and all 3 of the blue track arrow, dot brightness and black dot arrow change to match the new direction. If you click on the dot in the set direction, they all remain the same as does the point.

Does anyone have something different showing on theirs?

If so and you want to discuss further, please start a new thread.

Back to original plot then:
@HRMS
Although there is a variety of steam loco sounds there is nothing much for diesels.
Could us poor non sound loco people have some

horns (single and double) please.

As luck would have, I've been hit by this issue - I had to replace my hard drive and I've lost my layout plan because it wasn't in my Documents folder (and so wasn't backed up) and I'm awaiting my previous activation code to be cleared before I can reactivate

this version. It doesn't matter that much, but if I was exhibiting tomorrow (say) - it would be a disaster.

AndrewP said:

Fishmanoz said:

AndrewP said:

As a matter of interest, is it possible to activate RM if there's no

internet connection?

Internet connection definitely required as it checks the licence code you enter.

In fact, you even need internet to run a handheld even though the HH is wified to the PC. In fact that is another suggestion - HH to run without

Internet connection being required.

I have a new requirement.

I would like to be able to set a point and a signal (colour or semaphore) with the same decoder address and have them both change on the layout display when I change one or the other. In other words to have them interlocked.

You can do this with points today but not a point and signal. Physically you can do it (i.e. you can wire up a point motor and a signal motor or relay to the same accessory decoder output port and both will operate) but it is not reflected in the layout display.

Any support for this or comments welcome.

idlemarvel said:
I would like to be able to set a point and a signal (colour or semaphore) with the same decoder address and have them both change on the layout display when I change one or the other.

FYI I got this from RM support:
"You

cannot change a point and signal on the same accessory decoder port and control them using RailMaster. You can change two points together but not mix points and signals.
In a later update of RailMaster you will be able to instruct it to change other points

and signals as a result of changing a point or signal, however this functionality is not available in the current software version."

This would seem to give me what I want albeit in a round about way.

idlemarvel said:

idlemarvel said:
I would like to be able to set a point and a signal (colour or semaphore) with the same decoder address and have them both change on the layout display when I change one or the other.
FYI I got this

from RM support:
"You cannot change a point and signal on the same accessory decoder port and control them using RailMaster. You can change two points together but not mix points and signals.
In a later update of RailMaster you will be able to instruct

it to change other points and signals as a result of changing a point or signal, however this functionality is not available in the current software version."

This would seem to give me what I want albeit in a round about way.

This

will be a massive improvement.

In future software upgrades will this mean we can change a point and a signal together? Are you referring to conventional signally and/or light signalling?

I understand point motors use solenoid thrust of power

via the coil and the lighting gradual flow of power.

• 2 weeks later...

I have written a number of Programs within RailMaster.

I quite often find that I would like to modify the program lines for one particular loco (sometimes to even delete that loco altogether) but it is not always that easy to find all the relevant program

lines.

In order to make this easier, I would like to be able to SORT the program by 'Resource Name' and ideally, this would be done by just clicking on the 'Resource Name' heading at the top of the screen. This would then bring all the 'Resource Name' lines

into alphabetical order thus bringing all occurrences of the same loco together.

Of course, after making the required changes, it would then be necessary to re-sort the program into chronological order and I would like to be able to do this by clicking

on the 'Start (secs)' heading at the top of the screen.

• 2 months later...

Got one - ability to reverse direction of point operation in schematic so can correctly show the direction of two points with the same point number, and both on the same port, used in a passing loop. In this application,they must throw in the opposite

direction for the loop to work.

(If this has already been suggested let me know) But, the ability to programme other decoders such as: Traintronics signal decoder etc. As I'm using them to power all my signals, and using the block detector as well.

Sorry if its already been mentioned but .....

On entering the Track Plan Design mode it would be sensible if the current plan in use was made available by default, with the drop down list enabling this to be changed if necessary. I can't think why

you would want to make a selection everytime you entered the designer.

MetmanUK said:
... the current plan in use was made available by default...

I think this is a good suggestion. A few times in the last few days, I have wanted to make changes my my current plan.

I've never really been able to understand why signal operation has to be connected to throwing points a certain way. What if there's no loco coming that way? Would you necessarily want the signal to be set to go in those circumstances? I can , though,

understand that a signal should not be set to go if pointwork is switched incorrectly for that approach. Or does the signal control the switching of relevant pointwork?

Fishmanoz said:

PJ, many non-Hornby decoders having switching built in to allow for frog polarity switching on electrofrog points when the point is thrown. This can also be used to run light signals or to initiate semaphore. Check the spec

of your decoders.

I will have a look they are ADS8 DCC Concept decoders.

I thought if a port was used for selonoid pulse motors you couldn't use the same port for light signals. Or would it be you used 2 ports set to same cv number, one

to point, one to signal and it would know. New territory for me ;-)

Graskie said:

I've never really been able to understand why signal operation has to be connected to throwing points a certain way. What if there's no loco coming that way? Would you necessarily want the signal to be set to go in those circumstances?

I can , though, understand that a signal should not be set to go if pointwork is switched incorrectly for that approach. Or does the signal control the switching of relevant pointwork?
I totally agree with you, I personally like to keep my signals

and points on separate systems (expect for feathers). I love using traintronics decoders with the occupancy detector (okay so a bit of money) but It means I can have them set up "daisy chained" and if need be I can operate them manually.

RDS said:

I am struggling to determine what the 'Desirable Feature' is for the recent posts.

I agree RDS, but also see this as an important subject that can have quite a bit of discussion involved. DCC or not DCC.

I

will raise the question in the general section and let the conversation go from there. I am interested in the for's and against's them working together or singularly, and peoples reasons for their decisions. I am sure loco detection may also come into the

discussion but primarily it will be POINTS and SIGNALS should they work together?

@PJ_model_trains

Thanks.

We raised this thread to bring together our ideas for future updates to RailMaster and it seemed (in the early days anyway) that HRMS were reading the thread and in fact have suggested that a number of our ideas are being

implemented in a future software update.

I would not like to think that the thread gets overtaken by just general chit-chat but is used as it was intended. When I first raised this thread, I exchanged emails with HRMS who confirmed they were aware of the

thread.

As I see it, if members want to get other members views before raising a topic, start a new thread and then put the conclusion in this 'Desirable Features' thread. Otherwise just add your suggestion.

I have been playing with the RailMaster software and looking at signalling. I will be using light signal indicators but the issue I am to write about covers, in most cases, both signal types.

Firstly lights, this has been mentioned before and hopefully

is being considered for the next upgrade of RM. The light signals look fine at 100% view but are pin heads at 50% view. Can these remain the 100% size in the 50% view, it doesn't make them much larger and the red and green dots will be no larger than for the

points.

Secondly, this affects both signal types. At present we have a signal but when it is placed on the screen which direction it is for, viewing the screen, subject to track direction, left, right, up or down. I appreciate some will say place the

signal before the point/branch but it is not always possible to do this due to the size of our layouts and what we design in to them. It is a bit like saying use a distance signal, model railways in most instances are restricted in size so distance from one

station to another instead of real life miles can often be just feet.

Careful and clear planning of signalling is important for those of us who want them, especially with loco detection coming out soon. Signals also help us to zone our tracks by creating

in effect separate sections, again an important consideration for loco detection. But we also don't want signal clutter, 'on screen' or 'on the layout' so to see a signal and know which way it is controlling the track, at a glance, is important. Directional

indicators could solve this easily see below.

I have thought about this, it doesn't necessarily mean Hornby have to add 4 different directional signals, or even 8 to cover diagonals, it can be done by them providing a small group of arrow heads, say

8, which are nothing more than a graphic indicator for direction which can be added to the foot or side of the signal as required. This would be very easy to do.

Finally one other point, at present Hornby only have one signal, red/green. Is there plans

to add 3 aspect signals, 2 and a feather and others? If Hornby doesn't have plans to bring out more signals, I feel RailMaster should be designed to accommodate more variations I welcome any comments, including comments from Hornby please. Thank you

PJ

IMPROVEMENTS SUGGESTED for RailMaster software

1 - signals/lights, this has been mentioned before and hopefully is being considered for the next upgrade of RM. The light signals look fine at 100% view but are pin heads at 50% view. Can these remain

the 100% size in the 50% view, it doesn't make them much larger and the red and green dots will be no larger than for the points. This would be easy to do.

2 - directional indicators are required for signals. When placed on the schematics layout there

is no way of knowing which way they are for. A suggestion would be, 8 directional arrow graphics that can be placed close to the signals. This would be easy to do.

3 - signals required. 2, 3 and 4 aspect, 2 and 3 aspect with feathers. Ground based signals

2,3 aspect.