Elite Track/Prog

doublepeg

Every time I use my programming track I always disconnect my main track from the Elite and vice versa, I do this because in my Elite instructions it does not mention that you can have both connected together, also all the illustrations only show one or

the other connected, however reading through some threads on here I begin to wonder if it is ok to have both connected all the time although it doesn't seem right to me.

The usual way to do it in a permanent layout is to have a siding which is your programming track with a place near its start where there is an isolating break in both tracks and a switching arrangement on the isolated section such that you can switch it

between track and programming track. So switch it to programming, place your new loco on it, do your programming, switch to track and drive it out onto the layout. The switch must be a break before make double pole double throw type.

I believe the problem is that some decoders don't like to be programmed unless they see a motor load, hence the dummy car problem. The solution is to put the dummy car decoder into the driving car and program it there.

In any case, you can't put

driving and dummy car on the programming track together. To the extent you can program the dummy car decoder at all, you will program it the same as the driving car decoder if it is on the programming track at the same time. The point of the programming track

is that only one thing is there at a time as more than one and they all get programmed the same.

Fishmanoz said:

I believe the problem is that some decoders don't like to be programmed unless they see a motor load, hence the dummy car problem. The solution is to put the dummy car decoder into the driving car and program it there.

In

any case, you can't put driving and dummy car on the programming track together. To the extent you can program the dummy car decoder at all, you will program it the same as the driving car decoder if it is on the programming track at the same time. The

point of the programming track is that only one thing is there at a time as more than one and they all get programmed the same.

You most certainly CAN put both (or all three in the case of a three car unit with three decoders)on the programming

track at the same time. Programming them all with the same information is just what's needed for addresses. I've been doing this since I got my Elite just after it first came out and find it far more convenient and less likely to cause damage than moving decoders

from one unit to another.

I agree with you Rog.

I have a permanent set of track for programming and have always put train and dummy on at the same time and had no problems.

You most certainly CAN put both (or all three in the case of a three car unit with three decoders)on

the programming track at the same time. Programming them all with the same information is just what's needed for addresses. I've been doing this since I got my Elite just after it first came out and find it far more convenient and less likely to cause damage

than moving decoders from one unit to another.[/reply]

Archived