Train Detection

Any ideas why the drop down in the train detection box in settings gives the part number LDM56? When you perform a search the only item I can find is a Skaledale model Ford Cortina. Is this purely a fictitious number, why the departure from the R prefix?

BigNoj said:

Any ideas why the drop down in the train detection box in settings gives the part number LDM56? When you perform a search the only item I can find is a Skaledale model Ford Cortina. Is this purely a fictitious number, why the

departure from the R prefix?

It could stand for Loco Detection Module... and presumably the detection system will get an R number when it is released at some time in the future.

• 7 years later...

I am designing a new 00 gauge DCC layout for my grandsons which comprises seveveral loops and a branch line. The branch line connects into the outside loop. I want to run a train on the branch line that automatically goes backwards and forwards between the end of the branch line and just up to the points that connect to the main loop. This can easily be done with the analogue/dc system using train detection at each end of the line operating a changeover relay (e.g. the Gaugemaster relay unit) that reverses the polarity of the DC connection to the track. However there seems to be no way to do this with the Hornby DCC system as the track power is AC and therefore makes no difference to the train direction if you reverse the power leads to  the track.

To use a DCC system would therefore require some way of feeding a train position sensor into the DCC so that it can then reverse the train direction (the DCC programming would also have to have the facility in its software to this). Is this possible with the Hornby DCC system now or in the near future ? Does this mean that for the present I will have to isolate the branch line from the main system and operate it as an analogue/DC system with its own DC power/controller ?

Is this possible with the Hornby DCC system now or in the near future ?

Not exactly.

At the hardware only level ... Select / Elite controllers then the answer to your question is NO.

If you have a Hornby Sapphire decoder in the loco, then you can set up a repetitive action directly in the decoder. But that requires a DCC controller that can write to all CVs [selects that are pre version 1.6 firmware cannot do this]. This has the advantage that no special track isolation or modification is required.

If you run Hornby RailMaster software, then you can create a 'program' to automate that task [with certain limitations due to potential timing errors that could introduce creepage]. Again, no special track modifications are required.

Then there are non Hornby hardware products that can automate a DCC shuttle action using a special DCC controller board. This in essence emulates the DC Shuttle products that you can buy [search 'DCC Shuttle']. The downside is that the piece of track that this shuttle product is used on must be completely physically & electrically isolated from the main track layout as two DCC controllers cannot connect at the same time to the same physical track.

Going back to the OP's question and confirming what Rob surmised in his answer - this feature was added to RM some years ago when Hornby's Loco Detection system was first touted and this was the module name given to the box to which all the sensors were connected.  However, no such system has yet emerged from Hornby's factory. 

There is a mile of info about this system in the forums. Do searches on LD and Loco Detection to find them.  There is even a sticky thread at the top of the RM forum, now more than 2 years old, listing all the LD commands that are already available in RM for the day when the hardware appears.

Holding of breath not recommended if waiting for that appearance.  There is even a thread with a sweep on suggested dates for the final launch. 

jacov - there is a fairly simple solution to what you want to do. Any loco that you want to run on the branchline needs to be fitted with a decoder that supports ABC braking - Zimo decoders are the ones I use. you then fit a BM1 braking module at each end of the branchline (there is a little more to it - but there is plenty of info on the web). Now when you run your train from one end, it will slow down and stop when it gets to the other end. Uding your DCC controller you reverse the direction of the train & it will run back to the other end - slowing & stopping before running off the end. Now, if you fit a signal at the end that joins onto your mainline & use the 'clear' or green line to operate a relay that shorts out the bm1 module when the signal is clear, yo have basically disabled the braking at that ens when the signal is clear, so you can now run onto the mainline.

BM1 braking modules can be made for less than a pound each - you just need five diodes per module.

be warned - once you get this working you will start looking where else you can fit these & soon your trains will be stopping ans starting at all your stations.