Hornby Points decoders - do any actually do what they say on the tin

Desperate_Dave

Desperate_Dave said:

Got decoder spent hours trying to work out where I was going wrong. Eventually returned it and it was faulty. Got a refund and got another one. Spent hours wondering what I was doing wrong - took it to shop for testing

- it's faulty. Be warned.

Are you able to share the sort of problem that you experienced? This might be of assistance to others in the future.

Gregd99 said:
Are you able to share the sort of problem that you experienced? This might be of assistance to others in the future.

See the previous post here.... https://www.hornby.com/forums/hornby-forums/hornby-digital/4808/

I

have a gut feeling its possibly caused by one of the following... The Select itself is not working correctly or its outputting problematic data causing the decoders to crash or the programming via the Select is causing the decoder(s) to lock up somehow or

its an interface issue?

Gregd99 said:

See the previous post here.... https://www.hornby.com/forums/hornby-forums/hornby-digital/4808/

I

have a gut feeling its possibly caused by one of the following... The Select itself is not working correctly or its outputting problematic data causing the decoders to crash or the programming via the Select is causing the decoder(s) to lock up somehow or

its an interface issue?

I took my Select and the decoder and the 4 points to a local model shop. They wired it all up using my Select and found the decoder to be faulty. They then tried with on e of their own decoders and all 4 points worked. I bought it and have installed it

at home and all is well so there are faulty decoders out there - maybe I was just unlucky to find 2 of them.

Fishmanoz said:
There has very clearly been a bad batch running round given the problems noted on here.

Then if thats correct and there is a bad batch? Then question has to be asked what are Hornby themselves doing about this? Recalling

all the defective products? Advising their retailers of a problem etc.
Perhaps the Admin. may like to comment.

Archived