Inter-City 125 - Conversion from DC to DCC

RDS

2 questions please.

1) I converted the above Loco (running number 43010) to DCC a few years ago and I have hardly used it since. I recently decided to take the body off to see if it had directional lights fitted and noticed that I have not removed the

capacitor across the motor terminals when I converted it to DCC. Should the capacitor be removed?

2) I have read many times about 3 pole Ring Field motors. Is that the type of motor that is fitted to this Loco?

Hi

The Radio Frequency (RF) capacitor(s) fitted across the locos motor terminals can safely be removed for DCC operation. No DCC loco has ever been recorded as running worse with the RF capacitor(s)removed!

My advice is test the loco and if its ok

leave them, but remove them if performance issues are noted. They can if left in place with some makes of decoder effect the way the decoder tries to read the Bemf from the motor and can in some circumstances case erratic running.

Manufactures like

Hornby will be unable to advise you to remove them, this is because they have to comply with legislation when selling or dealing with a model they produced, that legislation specifies RF suppression must be fitted to any item that can produce a spark (or RF

interference). Therefore they can never be sure you wont convert it back to dc operation which then needs the motors RF capacitor to be fitted!

The removal or leaving of the motor RF suppression capacitor(s) has no effect on the DCC signal in any form.

But if a dc rail connecting clip or power track section is used on DCC its essential the clip is opened up and the internal capacitor removed. These capacitors will effect the DCC data signals if left in place.

@Flashbang

I was a little surprised to find that I had not removed the capacitor because I thought I always took them out, unless I converted this model to DCC before learning about the need to remove it.

Hi

As I stated in my post above....

The motors RF capacitor(s) - suppression capacitor(s) and there may in some locos be more than one, can effect the way the some decoders try to read the Bemf being produced by the motor with RF cap(s) fitted.

If the Bemf is turned on and the decoder is unable to fully read what the motor is doing it can cause erratic running including 'lumpy' slow running.

The motor capacitor has no effect on the quality of the DCC data or DCC information being received

by the decoder from the rails. But they can effect motor control and performance. :-)

@Flashbang

The thing that did impress me was how smooth it ran at very low motor speed and it did not (appear) to make any difference with the capacitor in or out.

I emphasise motor speed because this was on a rolling road as I do not have my track

down at the present time.

• 4 weeks later...

The capacitor was there to supress noise to tv's and radios and no more really but only on analogue systems. Zero 1 allowed removal or non removal and as stated above the capacitor makes NO difference to DCC at all. So you can remove them from ANY DCC

loco at any time. If you convert back to analogue in the future you may wish to hang onto the little pesky beasties...

@The son of Triangman

That is interesting. Thank you.

I thought though that directional lighting normally changed from white to red depending on direction. Does your Tip cover that aspect?

SoT's tip will certainly work for directional lighting. After all, AC's PCB is just a way to conveniently wire up the LEDs and resistors that SoT mentions. The directional aspect works by using the white and yellow decoder outputs operated on F0 and F1

but with them connected white red respectively at one end and red white at the other. That way you then have white at one end and red at the other with one function on, and the other way around with the other function. The PCB also has the facility to swap

sides on the white light for day and night running using a third function.

As SoT says, you can do all of that wiring yourself if you wish then mount the LEDs behind the appropriate lenses. The PCB does it all for you though (look at the pictures of

it, it's just LEDs and resistors) with only the function wires to be soldered and double sided tape mounting it such that the LEDs are all in the right place. You pay your money for the convenience of a simpler job doing it.

@Fishmanoz

Thanks very much. I think I am going to give that a try.

Am I right to assume you are referring to a red/white LED in one LED, i.e. 3 wires?

Also though, is there no way to simply let the direction of the loco define the red or

white, rather than having to switch functions. That is what my Blue Box Class 37 and 47 do automatically.

RDS, sorry for the confusion in my post. For a start, the red and white LEDs are separate. You can see that by going back and looking at AC's article again. In the motor car, the white LED cathode is connected to the white wire and the red LED's to the

yellow wire. Each has a resistor in series with it to limit voltage drop across the LED. The blue wire is the +ve common and connected to all anodes. In the dummy car, the white LED connects to the yellow wire and the reds to the white wire, blue again the

common. On the PCB, all of that wiring is part of the board such that you only have to connect the white, yellow and blue wires at the appropriate points and all LEDs and resistors are wired.

On switching, the function key or keys, depending on your

decoder type, decide whether the lights are working or not. The change to direction is done automatically by the decoder when direction is changed.

Hope that is clearer.

@Fishmanoz

Thank you, that is very clear.

One other thing though, I assume there must be some form of electrical connector between motor car and dummy car, that was not required before conversion to DCC.

@walkingthedog

I agree it does look like in this instance, DC would be easier but I am committed to DCC. I don't want to be able to turn the lights on and off digitally, just directionally. The only reason for another decoder is because I don't want

to run a permanent connection between motor and dummy car.

Archived