Number of licensed installs?

Just curious to know, with the software license, how many machines can the software be installed upon before additional licenses are required?

For example, whilst at home I would use a desktop computer to control the layout, but on the road I would

use a laptop.

Failing that, can the USB devices (Elite/eLink) operate in pass-through mode via a VPN? For example, I install the software under Windows 7 utilising XenDesktop or Windows RDS, remote in via the VPN and connect the USB device(s) through

the client back to the virtual machine.

I know there will be significant lag - or is that well beyond the design of the software?

You can only operate on one computer at a time with one licence. However, you can register on one machine, then de-register and re-register on another as many times as you like, so no problem using your PC then your laptop.

Not certain about VPN

operation but expect not.

Reading the RM licence it talks to being applicable to UK installations only.

I wonder how this affects overseas purchases.

Is it just a legal binding in UK law or is there a read across into say EU or worldwide law.

Not that I would take advantage

of any such loop hole to avoid my obligations just because I am an ex-pat but I would like to know we 'foreigners' stand.

No doubt there is a barrack room lawyer on the forum who will let us know.

I don't understand why the licence would be limited to the UK. The installation process requires the use of an internet connection, so obviously it communicates back to Hornby. The serial number of the software and the computer it is loaded on will be

recorded on the Hornby server. In order to use the software on another computer, it must be de-installed from the first one.

Hi

I live in France and also have it installed on a laptop and a desktop

but can only use it on one at a time

but you dont have to uninstall it just unregister it on one then register it on the other

its a pity cos i would like

to use it at home on my layout running from 2 laptops with 2 operators but it ain possible

Mike

Archived