Where on earth's my ini.file?

Having seen several references to this file, I thought I would just have a look at mine. I have referred to page 24 of the latest RM 1.51 Instructions and tried quite a few other ways of getting there from reading relevant comments on this forum. The only

thing I can find is a Notepad screen showing just the top 4 items. Where are the rest hiding? I have updated to RM version 1.52 on my Windows 7 64-bit Notebook which controls my layout, and the same on my Windows 7 64-bit desktop, the latter only having the

evaluation version just to refer to as well. I can't find an ini.file on either of them. I'm concerned because I have still not solved my lighting (and also now smoke) function problems which I mentioned recently in the thread "How Strange?" Before I contact

RM Support, has anyone any ideas to help me before that last-ditch necessity?

No poliss, I know it is really on that path and name if you use the default installation by clicking yes and next as it is installed. If you didn't do that, you should remember where you put it instead. I've looked at mine a number of times and edited

it by right clicking when opening notepad, or by copying the file elsewhere, from there you can edit not as administrator, then copying it back.

But you are right, Murphy will say that, despite all I've said, someone else looking for it, read Graskie,

will find it has gone elsewhere, and it has somehow been hidden, even though .ini files are not your usual hidden system file type.

The RailMaster.ini file is created automatically the first time RailMaster starts and must be present on a computer running RailMaster.

Under normal circumstances, assuming the software was installed with default settings on a standard Windows PC,

it will be created in C:Program FilesRailMaster (or C:Program Files (x86)RailMaster on 64-bit Windows systems).

If RailMaster was not installed with administrator rights by right-clicking on the setup file and choosing "Run as administrator", as

stated in the PDF guide (not applicable to Windows XP), then the file may be created in a Windows virtual store located in the Users folder. If this is the case, RailMaster really should be set to run with administrator rights by right-clicking on the icon

used to run the program, selecting "Properties" from the pop-up menu then clicking on the Compatibility tab and ensuring the box "Run as administrator" is checked.

On most Windows systems viewing files omits the file extension, so you may not actually

see the file "RailMaster.ini" listed, just several RailMaster files, one of which is the program itself and another the ini file. The file icon should tell you which is which. Hovering over each file will confirm this.

On 64-bit Windows systems, assuming

RailMaster has been installed correctly (with full admin rights) you may not be able to edit the RailMaster.ini file (access denied) so what you need to do is start the Windows Notepad application by right-clicking on it and choosing "Run as administrator".

This will give Notepad the necessary rights to then be able to open the ini file, edit it and save it again. You can use Notepad's File => Open option to open the file by navigating to the RailMaster program folder then opening the RailMaster.ini file.

Please

note that although the RailMaster PDF guide mentions all of the different settings you can change in the ini file, only a handful may be present in your particular RailMaster.ini file. This is normal as RailMaster uses internal default settings unless you

specify otherwise in the ini file itself.

Hopefully this has cleared up any confusion.

I knew all of that Graskie, except that it may be under Users if not installed with administrator rights, but yours is? Chose to give you the short version.

Do you know how to open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) to go and look for it,

or you can do a search from the start button under Windows 7, or the Search Wand menu under Windows 8. Enter Railmaster.ini as your search term

Found it yet?

First of all, sorry, HRMS and Fishy, for not coming back before now. Thanks for your advice. I did know how to search in those ways, Fishy, and I still cannot locate an ini.file. What I have found is a configuration file, the path being Program Files (x86)

> RailMaster > Configuration Settings, then > RailMaster-Notepad which shows just the first 6 lines illustrated on page 24 of Version 1.51 of the RailMaster Instructions. Should this be OK and is the list sufficiently long compared to the illustrated one?

Yep the Railmaster configuration file is the one - altered mine yesterday when I changed my point delay back to 2 seconds. Double clicking on that file opens it up in Railmaster Notepad which enabled me to make the change and save it.

Dave

I think the manual tells you your particular file may not have everything they show. If you think there is something missing that would be useful to be configured, you can always edit the file to add it. The logic in the file is if something =0, that property

isn't present, and if it =1, it is, if that makes any sense. Then there is stuff like the track plan display area that contains the dimensions you want.

Thanks again Fishy. I can see no reference in the instructions saying that not everything is included as shown on page 24, but fortunately HRMS pointed out that fact in their earlier reply on this thread. So, OK, it looks as if I perhaps have no problem

but I still can't understand why details are in a config file rather than an ini one. Did it go there because I must have done something? I do know that some other forum members are in the same situation, such as DaveAus above.

Archived