Hornby E-Link - Failed Hand Shake - Windows 7

C66, try the update again, and be meticulous about following the instructions starting with getting it into update mode with pressing the stop button and 15 second delays as you go through the connection sequence. Do it a few times - mine worked on the

second attempt.

And if no luck, return to Hornby Customer Care who will do it for you for free.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Fishmanoz - this all sounds very familiar? It seems there is definitely a software or hardware problem with RM and/or eLink at startup which the system seems to sort out on a reboot as with my Windows 8 Tablet/Laptop so if Hornby are monitoring these

threads perhaps it is time something was done by them to patch up the problem with an update - assuming the system can pick it up. I don't normally have to reboot eLink to get RM up and running and can normally get it working with just shutting down and restarting

RM to get the handshake.

Perhaps it's a ploy to get us all to buy the Elite the much more expensive DCC controls? Pity as apart from the annoying problems (not every time I should add) at startup it is a very impressive product.

Gar, they are doing some monitoring but I wouldn't count on it. Email them and let them know, something I've said quite a few times now, including my last 2 posts. It's clear they have had a number of hardware or firmware issues with the eLink on initial

release and have been replacing them whenever they can confirm there is a problem.

Forum members can certainly help to confirm if someone has done the setting up correctly, and if they are using RM the right way but once all of that appears to have

been done correctly and the system still doesn't work, RM Support is your best bet.

There are a number of fault symptoms in the forums now though that have been shown to be caused by faulty eLinks, so a check of them may be useful too.

Thanks Fishmanoz - emailing Hornby is a sign of failure when you take account of all the advice on these forums as you only appear to get a stock reply. Not sure my eLink is faulty as tonight when I went up to the loft to put something away I ran RM amd

eLink but rebooted the eLink unit before opening RM to ensure I got the "handshake soud" and when I ran the RM software no problems at all. Had looking for update message then connecting to DCC Controller, then closing down sound on PC and eLink powering off

then opening up sound on PC and eLink powering up again, layout uploaded and signals reset (although I set one signal manually to the opposite on setup and RM didn't actually reset it) and all point motors responding and all locos working. So it is very weird

that some days I get no problems and others a few. Just seems to be something stopping the software picking up the hardware some days and hopefully a software glitch rather than a problem with eLink

GarH said:

Thanks Fishmanoz - emailing Hornby is a sign of failure when you take account of all the advice on these forums as you only appear to get a stock reply. Not sure my eLink is faulty as tonight when I went up to the loft to put something

away I ran RM amd eLink but rebooted the eLink unit before opening RM to ensure I got the "handshake soud" and when I ran the RM software no problems at all. Had looking for update message then connecting to DCC Controller, then closing down sound on PC and

eLink powering off then opening up sound on PC and eLink powering up again, layout uploaded and signals reset (although I set one signal manually to the opposite on setup and RM didn't actually reset it) and all point motors responding and all locos working.

So it is very weird that some days I get no problems and others a few. Just seems to be something stopping the software picking up the hardware some days and hopefully a software glitch rather than a problem with eLink

I have been having a long conversation with Hornby about my e-link and after much discussion it seems my issue was caused by the supplied USB cable being faulty. Hornby (Mark in particular) have been very patient (I have not - sadly) and supplied a free

replacement. I am away from home currently so have only been able to set up the E-link and RM when not connected to track, but so far it has booted up perfectly 5 -6 times. If you have an appropriate spare USB it might be worth a try. Good luck. R-

GarH said:

Thanks Fishmanoz - emailing Hornby is a sign of failure when you take account of all the advice on these forums as you only appear to get a stock reply. Not sure my eLink is faulty as tonight when I went up to the loft to put something

away I ran RM amd eLink but rebooted the eLink unit before opening RM to ensure I got the "handshake soud" and when I ran the RM software no problems at all. Had looking for update message then connecting to DCC Controller, then closing down sound on PC and

eLink powering off then opening up sound on PC and eLink powering up again, layout uploaded and signals reset (although I set one signal manually to the opposite on setup and RM didn't actually reset it) and all point motors responding and all locos working.

So it is very weird that some days I get no problems and others a few. Just seems to be something stopping the software picking up the hardware some days and hopefully a software glitch rather than a problem with eLink

Seems Roger has been able

to have a successful non-stock conversation with RM Support Gar.

And the actual problem is revealing too - given one cable in the batch supplied with eLink has been found faulty, there is also a risk that others may be faulty too. So it's definitely

worth trying a different cable as part of your fault finding.

• 2 weeks later...

Both RailMaster and the eLink/Elite drivers are simple to install if you follow the instructions carefully. If you do not you can end up going down a route which can waste a lot of time.

This means installing RailMaster with administrator rights,

which you seem to have done, then installing the eLink/Elite driver, which simply involves pointing the Windows "Found new hardware" wizard to the RailMaster program folder if installing the driver for Windows XP to Windows Vista, or allowing Windows to install

its own driver for Windows 7 and 8. Installing the driver takes a matter of minutes, not four hours and is a very straightforward operation if you follow the instructions in the RailMaster PDF guide.

You mention that "The locos then became in active

and would not re-activate". Can you provide more details.

We note that we have not received a Help Request from you from within RailMaster, nor any emails. If you were to send a Help Request from within Railmaster we can then see your settings and would

no doubt have a solution for you very quickly.

We have said this before, however it bears repeating. Please read the RailMaster PDF guide before installing and using Railmaster or the DCC controller driver so that you know the procedure and also become

aware of how the system works. It is worth the 30 minute investment in time.

RailMaster also includes a separate, dedicated drivers PDF installation guide, which is installed on your desktop and which takes you, step by step, through the driver installation

process for most versions of Windows going back to XP.

[reply]HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

Both RailMaster and the eLink/Elite drivers are simple to install if you follow the instructions carefully. If you do not you can end up going down a route which can waste a lot of time.

This means installing

RailMaster with administrator rights, which you seem to have done, then installing the eLink/Elite driver, which simply involves pointing the Windows "Found new hardware" wizard to the RailMaster program folder if installing the driver for Windows XP to Windows

Vista, or allowing Windows to install its own driver for Windows 7 and 8. Installing the driver takes a matter of minutes, not four hours and is a very straightforward operation if you follow the instructions in the RailMaster PDF guide.

You mention

that "The locos then became in active and would not re-activate". Can you provide more details.

We note that we have not received a Help Request from you from within RailMaster, nor any emails. If you were to send a Help Request from within Railmaster

we can then see your settings and would no doubt have a solution for you very quickly.

We have said this before, however it bears repeating. Please read the RailMaster PDF guide before installing and using Railmaster or the DCC controller driver so

that you know the procedure and also become aware of how the system works. It is worth the 30 minute investment in time.

RailMaster also includes a separate, dedicated drivers PDF installation guide, which is installed on your desktop and which takes

you, step by step, through the driver installation process for most versions of Windows going back to XP.

There is no PDF guide in my RailMaster file or on my desktop, I have icons that do not work. Why doesn't the pack come with full instruction

instead of a quick start guide. Installing the driver took so long as the driver icon was also not visible, it was trial and error to find the right on, every time I clicked one it advise me the port was already in use. There is no number to call or e-mail

address on the quick guide. Those instruction advise not to open Rail Master until e-link is established so how could I send a message from within RailMaster. I have wasted enough time on this, it is packed up ready to return. I will purchase an standard digital

set and upgrade when it is simple and easy to use.

Scouse, when you installed RM, it appeared as a shortcut icon on your desktop didn't it? Then when you opened it, it said there was an upgrade, which you said yes to installing?

If this has yet to happen, can I suggest you do it? And make sure it

is installed as administrator as the instructions say.

So assuming you've done that, you will now find 3 other RM icons on your desktop. They are, the RM manual, the RM Handheld Guide, and finally the guide to installing the Elite and eLink drivers.

So now open the driver guide and follow the instructions for your version of windows and you will be up and running.

Now if you are still having problems, open RM, click on the Help button at the top with all the other buttons and select to email RM

Support and tell them what the problem is and they will help you fix it.

Now I'll give you there are simpler bits of software to install, but this installation is hardly that complicated. But if you haven't been able to follow this, which is exactly

what HRMS suggested above, then you are perfectly correct as to what you should do - take it back.

If you decide on a Hornby DCC controller and you are having any bother with it, then come back to the DCC Forum here. We can help you with the controller

too.

Fishmanoz said:

Scouse, when you installed RM, it appeared as a shortcut icon on your desktop didn't it? Then when you opened it, it said there was an upgrade, which you said yes to installing?

If this has yet to happen, can I suggest

you do it? And make sure it is installed as administrator as the instructions say.

So assuming you've done that, you will now find 3 other RM icons on your desktop. They are, the RM manual, the RM Handheld Guide, and finally the guide to installing

the Elite and eLink drivers. So now open the driver guide and follow the instructions for your version of windows and you will be up and running.

Now if you are still having problems, open RM, click on the Help button at the top with all the other

buttons and select to email RM Support and tell them what the problem is and they will help you fix it.

Now I'll give you there are simpler bits of software to install, but this installation is hardly that complicated. But if you haven't been able

to follow this, which is exactly what HRMS suggested above, then you are perfectly correct as to what you should do - take it back.

If you decide on a Hornby DCC controller and you are having any bother with it, then come back to the DCC Forum here.

We can help you with the controller too.

I have followed you instructions exactly and no icons appear on my desk top for the PDF instructions. The driver icons appear in the file in my c drive but they do not do anything when I click on them.

All I need is the instructions, why can't Hornby just supply the instructions with the sets.

And if you can't find the drivers guide on your desktop, it is actually in your Railmaster directory (either C:Program FilesRailmaster, or C:Program Files (x86)Railmaster depending on your Windows version) and is helpfully and simply called drivers.pdf.

I regret to inform all of you that after a short "away from home" assignment I returned home eager to see if the laptop would find the e-link when connected to the layout. (You may recall an earlier post where I said it had booted up about 6 times -whilst

not connected to the layout- without issue). It does not and seems to have reverted to its old habit of failing the handshake, stopping all power/control commands going to the layout at random moments and shorting at the slightest hint of imperfect

running. When I put my (non NMRA compliant) Select on the system all, and I mean all, operates perfectly well, which is very frustrating. I have decided for the time being to go the Elite/RM combo as that seems a good move from here, and really do hope that

one day I shall read a series of posts here (and elsewhere) that all issues have been resolved and I can return to the e-link. I believe the concept to be good in principle but for now I need something more reliable. Incidentally, should anyone else wish to

follow this route, the Elite is available from Hornby Hobbies Ltd via a well known internet sales channel for a very good (reduced) price). R-

I regret to inform all of you that after a short "away from home" assignment I returned home eager to see if the laptop would find the e-link when connected to the layout. (You may recall an earlier post where I said it had booted up about 6 times -whilst

not connected to the layout- without issue). It does not and seems to have reverted to its old habit of failing the handshake, stopping all power/control commands going to the layout at random moments and shorting at the slightest hint of imperfect

running. When I put my (non NMRA compliant) Select on the system all, and I mean all, operates perfectly well, which is very frustrating. I have decided for the time being to go the Elite/RM combo as that seems a good move from here, and really do hope that

one day I shall read a series of posts here (and elsewhere) that all issues have been resolved and I can return to the e-link. I believe the concept to be good in principle but for now I need something more reliable. Incidentally, should anyone else wish to

follow this route, the Elite is available from Hornby Hobbies Ltd via a well known internet sales channel for a very good (reduced) price). R-

Roger

Did you contact Customer Care, explain the situation and obtain a replacement eLink unit in case yours may be faulty?

Also, it does not appear that you have been in contact with our team about this through the Help Request system and

we do not appear to have logged into your PC to assist you at any point.

The eLink/RailMaster system is reliable and stable and works for the vast majority of users. The fact that your Select seems to work without problems may indicate that you have

been unlucky and have a faulty eLink, alghough there are other factors which could be causing this, e.g. USB ports, USB cable, driver setup, administrator access rights and even Internet security issues, none of which would affect the Select (being a stand-alone

unit).

If you would like to contact us directly then perhaps we can help you get to the bottom of this.

HornbyRailMasterSupport said:

Roger

Did you contact Customer Care, explain the situation and obtain a replacement eLink unit in case yours may be faulty?

Also, it does not appear that you have been in contact with our team about

this through the Help Request system and we do not appear to have logged into your PC to assist you at any point.

The eLink/RailMaster system is reliable and stable and works for the vast majority of users. The fact that your Select seems to work without

problems may indicate that you have been unlucky and have a faulty eLink, alghough there are other factors which could be causing this, e.g. USB ports, USB cable, driver setup, administrator access rights and even Internet security issues, none of which would

affect the Select (being a stand-alone unit).

If you would like to contact us directly then perhaps we can help you get to the bottom of this.

Yes I have been in contact (several times) with Mark Lodge (your manager - Call No: HB89042) and he will be able to inform you of his test (perfectly satisfactory)of the e-link which I returned and the replacement USB cable (previously mentioned in this

forum). The original e-link has been returned to me but I am unable to get it to work in a consistently satisfactory manner. The bottom line is that it is just too complicated and unreliable and is getting in the way of my enjoyment of the hobby. I have purchased

an Elite from your on-line seller organisation and I understand that I can look forward a better experience. I am happy to discuss this further (off-line) if you wish and Mark will have my number.

Ours is a separate, dedicated team dealing with RailMaster, not part of Customer Care. Customer Care are first line support. When things get a little more complicated our team takes over. We also deal with all Help Requests srnt from RailMaster and direct

emails to the RailMaster support address.

If you have sent your eLink back and nothing was wrong with it that would point to something happening on your layout which is subtle, but which makes a difference. Have you tried the eLink with a reasonably

stretch of track that is not connected to your main layout?

Again, you should use the Help Request system and we can assist you more efficiently as the Help Request will send us useful additional information about your set-up and how RailMaster is communicating

with your eLink.

We re-iterate that the vast majority of users are not having any problems with the eLink and RailMaster, which means it is a reliable and stable system. In fact we currently have no registered problems of the type you describe. Railmaster/eLink

has been thoroughly tested on layouts of several sizes with different types of locos from several manufacturers, not just Hornby. It does seem that something is happening on your layout which is not normal but which is not causing a problem with your Select.

The added sophistication of the eLink, unlike the Select, is that it is connected to a computer.

If you would like to use the Help Request facility then we can assist you further and help you get to the bottom of the problem you are having.

Just to add a note of caution to the previous post. The Elite and eLink work in the same way, the only difference being that the Elite is supplied with a 4amp transformer and therefore has a slightly higher tolerance to short circuits or overloads on the

layout than the eLink. This is to do with the slightly different power handling electronics in each unit.

Archived