Loco with a mind of its own under dcc

Gingerman

Good afternoon everyone

I just installed a r8249 chip into a hornby schools class, as soon as I turn on my dynamis controller the loco moved. The controller speed dial was at zero and I just had no control. Took the chip out and tried the loco on

dc with no problems, checked all wired and re installed the chip, the loco did the same thing but this time the chip went up in smoke. Now before I purchase another chip can anyone tell me what went wrong.

Kind regards

@Gingerman

If you bought the decoder from a Hornby dealer, I would take it all back, including your loco and ask for advice regarding what has happened because if it the plug in type you should just be able to plug it in without these sort of problems.

Did it take off flat out or just slowly? If flat out, it could be that the decoder was getting a bad DCC signal, interpreting it to be DC then taking off as full voltage is on the track all the time with DCC. This is well known and can be fixed by an adjustment

to CV 29 to turn off DC operation. I would also be cleaning the track, wheels and pickups to make sure the loco gets a good DCC signal.

All that said, it doesn't really explain the decoder burning out. I would certainly do as RDS says and return it

for replacement as this shouldn't happen. Although just one thing here - I'm assuming we are talking about a relatively new loco here as an older one might draw more current than an 8249 can handle.

Did it take off flat out or just slowly? If flat out, it could be that the decoder was getting a bad DCC signal, interpreting it to be DC then taking off as full voltage is on the track all the time with DCC. This is well known and can be fixed by an adjustment

to CV 29 to turn off DC operation. I would also be cleaning the track, wheels and pickups to make sure the loco gets a good DCC signal.

All that said, it doesn't really explain the decoder burning out. I would certainly do as RDS says and return it

for replacement as this shouldn't happen. Although just one thing here - I'm assuming we are talking about a relatively new loco here as an older one might draw more current than an 8249 can handle.

Fishmanoz said:

Did it take off flat out or just slowly? If flat out, it could be that the decoder was getting a bad DCC signal, interpreting it to be DC then taking off as full voltage is on the track all the time with DCC. This is well

known and can be fixed by an adjustment to CV 29 to turn off DC operation. I would also be cleaning the track, wheels and pickups to make sure the loco gets a good DCC signal.

All that said, it doesn't really explain the decoder burning out. I would

certainly do as RDS says and return it for replacement as this shouldn't happen. Although just one thing here - I'm assuming we are talking about a relatively new loco here as an older one might draw more current than an 8249 can handle.

The loco took off at about 12 throttle, after taking apart another loco and trying its decoder, ive come to the conclusion its a short as it did exactly the same thing. The loco was brought second hand and is the super detailed version of the schools

class so relatively new in design. The other chip I tried was from another company, the loco would run very briefly as described and then short the system. With the r8249 chip in the loco would run away but not short the system? The only other thing I haven't

mentioned was when it ran off the motor emitted a metalic sound from the motor! Have since ran it on on dc and no problems at all.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes im typing on a phone and its proving tricky.

Kind regards

Archived