E-Link with Power boosters

Ollie0033

You can connect both to RM at the same time, but not to the same DCC circuit. To use both at the same time, you need to have separate power districts for them, or maybe separate circuits for locos on the track and for points and accessories. With the latter,

I wouldn't do it unless I was running out of power to do everything and didn't want to separate my layout into separate districts.

I have the same objective as Ollie0033 - a fully computer controlled layout - but I have already purchased eLink. I must admit my original ideas about DCC and power were obviously too simplistic, but having now read thid thread, I will have to re-think

my approach (even though I have started laying track!).

One thing that does puzzle me is the power output from eLink. I was under the impression it was only 1amp ? In which case this would would suggest it requires a 'small' power region as opposed

to the normal 4amp supplies - ie a bit of a lop-sided setup ?

Sort of answering my own post (having researched further) ..... I guess if I exchange the supplied 1amp eLink transformer with a P9300 then eLink will be 4amp which will be sufficient for the number of locos I'm likely to have in the foreseeable. Nevertheless,

I will split my track into 2 regions with separate power buses but connect them to the single source of the time being.

poliss said:

It's a pity you can't buy the eLink WITH the 4amp power supply. What are you supposed to do with the 1 amp power supply when you get the 4 amp one? Not allowed to throw it in the bin and I don't know of any other use for it.

Its

even more useless than I thought. With the accessory decoders unavailable I am using a Peco switch to test out the Peco point motors, accessory switches and points. The e-Link didn't even try to operate the motor alone. I purchased a Peco CDU wich then gave

what looked like a good result on a test point. When I tested the setup in its final position the points only rarely switched. I have now discovered (obvious when I think about it) that I have to leave at least 20 seconds between switching for the e-Link to

recharge the CDU. Ok for testing but ......

Metman, you cannot operate points directly from the eLink, you have to use some sort of accessory decoder, be it the 8247 or something else you get while it isn't available. Also, the accessory decoder, whatever it is, contains a CDU and I'm certain it

will recharge fully in a lot less than 20 seconds. You should not attempt to use an external CDU with an accessory decoder.

So hopefully, what you are talking about is just using a manual DC system with switches and the CDU, until you can automate

when accessory decoders are back in stock?

Fishmanoz said:

Metman, you cannot operate points directly from the eLink, you have to use some sort of accessory decoder, be it the 8247 or something else you get while it isn't available. Also, the accessory decoder, whatever it is, contains

a CDU and I'm certain it will recharge fully in a lot less than 20 seconds. You should not attempt to use an external CDU with an accessory decoder.

So hopefully, what you are talking about is just using a manual DC system with switches and the CDU,

until you can automate when accessory decoders are back in stock?

Precisely! Currently the e-Link connects to a CDU which then connects to the point motor via a manual switch. Once the accessory decoders are back in stock then the CDU and manual

switch will be replaced. I had to do this to test out my point wiring, the track and the motors - can't wait until December (or whenever).

Interestingly, I have now wired a second point and the motor by itself will fire after a few seconds recharging

but when I add the accessory switch on top it needs a couple of minutes (at least) ! I think I'll have to get the 4amp transformer very soon.

[reply]Fishmanoz said:

Metman, you cannot operate points directly from the eLink, you have to use some sort of accessory decoder...You should not attempt to use an external CDU with an accessory decoder...

reply]

What fishy says is true,

you can't operate points directly, but it is possible operate an external CDU if you use the eLink (or Elite or Select) signal to fire into the coil of one of a pair of relays which then passes a suitable supply to the CDU, thence to either side of

the point motor solenoid(s). The DCC signal is enough to pulse the relay coil allowing the CDU to fire the point proper. I can post a diagram if required.

RAFHAAA96th said:

[reply]Fishmanoz said:

Metman, you cannot operate points directly from the eLink, you have to use some sort of accessory decoder...You should not attempt to use an external CDU with an accessory decoder...
reply]
What

fishy says is true, you can't operate points directly, but it is possible operate an external CDU if you use the eLink (or Elite or Select) signal to fire into the coil of one of a pair of relays which then passes a suitable supply to the CDU, thence to either

side of the point motor solenoid(s). The DCC signal is enough to pulse the relay coil allowing the CDU to fire the point proper. I can post a diagram if required.

I'm confused! Are you saying that the 'Track' output from an e-Link is not capable

of operating a point motor OR it's the 1amp output that makes it unsuitable for operating a point motor?

I think I should repeat that this is only for testing the set up of points and motors as I install them (I only have 1 passing contact switch!)

until such time as the Hornby accessory decoder is available or RailMaster supports a suitable alternative.

Clearly it does operate it as you have described. Whether it is good practice to use it this way is another matter. The answer is in the input impedance it presents to the track in its discharged, charging and fully charged states.

Fully charged,

the impedance will be high, although how high at DCC frequency might be an issue. Discharged or charging, impedance will be low, particularly at DCC frequency. And given that the effective internal impedance of the eLink with a 4 amp supply is lower than with

the 1 amp supply, this situation would be improved with the 4 amp.

The practical question I would ask is can you still control locos while the CDU is charging? If so, then you can assume everything is ok as a test setup. If not, then you have a problem.

And from what you've said, the 4 amp supply will reduce the recharge time. But I wouldn't buy it just to do that, only if you intend to buy it for DCC reasons.

All that said, I'd personally put the CDU on a separate supply. Surely you have

something lying around you can use for that? Any old DC controller will do, track output turned right up, or accessory output.

Fishmanoz said:

Clearly it does operate it as you have described. Whether it is good practice to use it this way is another matter...All that said, I'd personally put the CDU on a separate supply. Surely you have something lying around you

can use for that? Any old DC controller will do, track output turned right up, or accessory output.

Agreed - not best practice, but if you want to operate your points this way for testing i.e. using the DCC track potential as a pseudo AC supply,

then you have to expect possible compromise such as loco interruption when the points fire due to the CDU effecting the signal.

RAFHAAA96th said:

Agreed - not best practice, but if you want to operate your points this way for testing i.e. using the DCC track potential as a pseudo AC supply, then you have to expect possible compromise such as loco interruption when

the points fire due to the CDU effecting the signal.

Out of interest I will see what happens when I switch a point whilst moving my (only, for test purposes!) loco but to re-terate, it was never my intention to do so, even whilst testing.

@Fishmanoz

- thanks for the more technical reason why I should avoid this. My electrical knowledge is good but very basic (a contradiction, I know).

Archived