Old Company Tanks

ILikeTrainsTom

Hi all,

I am a Southern Railway modeller and I just want to show some of my favorite tank engines I would like to see in ready-to-run form. I hope Hornby will notice this! So here they are:

SECR P Class

LBSCR D1

LSWR C14

LBSCR D1

I hope

these will give Hornby or any of you some ideas. Please reply and thanks for reading!

Take no notice of him Tom, he is unable to recognise quality when he sees it. However there is some hope for him, as he now lives in deepest Hampshire not too far from the second best locomotive works in the UK (the first of course was Ashford). One must

hope some of the influence will eventually rub off!

However the final part of PPs post is, sadly, true. Hornby have this obsession with big engines, and continue to churn out these and warmed over versions of little engines that were inherited from

other makers.

The Brighton D1 and the E1 were very similar. (Coincidentally the Maunsell rebuilds of Wainwright 4-4-0s classified D1 and E1 were similar too.)

I do have a body kits for both a 'P' 0-6-0T and a Brighton D1 0-4-2T but they are a

long way down my priority list. The biggest obstacle is making a chassis.

Hi

Was reading Pat Hammonds History of Rovex Vol 3 in regads to another issue and spotted that Hornby had made a working sample of a Z Class 0 8 0t in Southern Black no. 954. I wounder if the tools are still usable? (If you have a copy of book page

283)

Hi Fishy

No chance of a gold watch on retirement from my former employers, all I got was a couple of hours extra work, which they then didn't pay me for!! Typical!! A couple of years ago one of the managers retired after 40 yrs and no-one from the

management side even phoned him, never mind came to say 'Goodbye', when he left. They don't even look after their own.

In fairness, though, I got some Marks & Sparks vouchers for my 20 yrs. I sold them to SWMBO and with the money I bought a green Deltic

from the B team.

I got a nice carriage clock from management and much to my surprise the chief officer of ATC at Heathrow who I'd never met stopped me in the corridor and said good luck with my retirement. I was amazed.

The guys I worked with got me a b'man 9F. Probably

glad to see the back of me after 37 years. I was glad to see the back of SOME of them.

When I left, the staff in the office got me a tinplate Hornby M series clockwork locomotive without tender a yard of weathered Bassett Lowke two rail steel track on wood sleepers and a M series open wagon. There was also a cheap copy of a Hornby series

signal which arm goes the wrong way when you operate the lever. They also got me a LNER company crest mounted on a polished wood base. Very sweet of them.

The firm gave me and my wife a trip on the NYMR Dining Pullman including meal and wine, and a

framed certificate. That wasn't bad either.

walkingthedog said:

I got a nice carriage clock from management and much to my surprise the chief officer of ATC at Heathrow who I'd never met stopped me in the corridor and said

good luck with my retirement. I was amazed.

The guys I worked with got me a b'man 9F. Probably glad to see the back of me after 37 years. I was glad to see the back of SOME of them.

Archived