Yard Lights

rugbyboys

Hi I have bought some 12 volt yard lamps and would like to use the auxiliary socket on my Elite controller to power them but this puts out 15 volts, can anyone please tell me the best way to wire the lights (10) and how to reduce the voltage to the lights,

many thanks.

There are two ways of doing it - the easy one is to get an old dc controller, and use that, turning the speed knob up or down until you get the light level you want.

The other way is to wire up your lights in twos. One wire from the Elite aux to one

wire of the first light, the second wire from the first light goes to the first wire of the second light, and the second wire of the second light goes to the other aux wire of the Elite. This way each of the pair 'sees' 7.5 volts.

As you have ten lights,

you can do this five times, so you end up with five wires on each of the connections of the aux socket. (It's easier if you use a 'chocolate block' screw connector. Two wires from the Elite aux, to five of the screw blocks, and the other Elite wire to the

other five screw blocks. It makes sorting out bad connections easier, too!)

The thing to remember is - all this takes power off the loco's, and if you are only using a 1 amp transformer, it might not be good enough. Most Elites have the four amp unit with

them, though, but again, it depends on how many loco's and illuminated coaches, etc, you have on the track, and how many running at one time!

When I converted to DCC I was left with a redundant HM2000 controller which I use to power my layout lights. By using the controlled output(s) I can 'speed up' the lights from dim to bright and if they are LEDS switch from fwd to rev to correct any wiring

polarity probs.

You can easily dim LED's by reducing the current, either by simply reducing the voltage or increasing the feed resistance. A small variable resistor (about 500 ohms depending on the LED)can be used, as LED currents are very low. You need a smooth DC supply

though or you might see flicker. This can also be solved by putting a small capitor across the LED, (max probably about 10 microfarad, make sure polartiy is correct) after the resistor

Archived