Slight power loss

dwragg

I have a Select unit controlling four DCC trains on my layout, however, when I have an old analogue train on the same circuit there is a slight power loss, especially at the furthest point from the power to track point. I'm told the R8239 would sort this,

but the price suggests I must be certain?? Or is it something simple like the track connectors? Could they be soldered?

You do not need the R8239. You do need the 4 Amp power supply P9300 which replaces the 1 Amp supply that comes with the Select. Typically, new locos draw up to 300mA and older ones more when they are a thusly running. So you can see that even your 4 DCC

locos are pushing the supply if all running together, so not surprising the analogue one is causing problems.

Also, you need to be very careful about leaving the analogue sitting on the layout not running, particularly after you upgrade the supply.

There is a real risk of burning out the motor coils.

dwragg said:

I have a Select unit controlling four DCC trains on my layout, however, when I have an old analogue train on the same circuit there is a slight power loss, especially at the furthest point from the power to track point. I'm told

the R8239 would sort this, but the price suggests I must be certain?? Or is it something simple like the track connectors? Could they be soldered?

I'd suggest you install more track power feeds around the layout to ensure power reaches all parts

of it. Relying on the fishplates to carry the power isn't a good idea in the long run as oxidisation, dirt and wear and tear due to expansion and contraction all lead to poor conduction. Installing a DCC bus is the best way and provide power feeds to as many

pieces of track as possible, preferably every piece of track (including points) by soldering wires (droppers) to the underside or outside edges of the rails from the DCC bus.

It is definitely NOT a good idea to have analogue locos on a DCC layout as

the motors are likely to overheat and burn out.

Rog is right about installing a bus and soldering to track as being best practice. But many find the simple power track connections and point clips work for them for years without problem, others not so.

The important thing though is you definitely

need to 4 Amp supply if you are running 5 locos at once.

Gregd99 said:

4+1 locos running under control of the select is very impressive on two fronts.

- The 1A power supply doesn't have enough puff so there will be problems and
- how do you manage to control 5 locos with a single throttle

knob!!

You don't Greg, you only control one, the others are just running as programmed you have no control over them. As soon as you select a different one to control, the one you were controlling just carries on doing what it was doing as programmed.

Well I know what I mean.

WTD et al,

Yes I understand that you can adjust the throttle setting for each loco individually and that once set the locos continue to run at that setting.

If it takes 2-3 seconds to set a loco throttle - type a number or two, select, set throttle

- then if there was ever a need to make adjustments to the selected loco plus the other 4 then there would be a delay of 8-12 seconds before you got to the lats loco.

if the layout is big enough and the routes independent enough then the operations

can be "set and forget". If the routes are less independent then there would be a fair bit of jumping back and forth.

I was interested in how people find this experience from a practical point of view.

I have an elite (two knobs) and also favour

computer control so not sure who easy/complex/frustrating running multiple locos is with a Select but am interested to understand.

Greg, the fact is that the Select is the entry-level controller which will only do a limited range of things with any loco and is less user-friendly in operating more then a couple of locos at the same time.

The clear winner in ease of operation

with multiple locos is Railmaster which allows you to have the controls for a number of locos on the screen at the same time and control each of them instantly via a click/tap, or click and drag/slide (depending on whether you use a mouse or a touch screen).

That's as long as you don't mind operation via your computer.

Archived