Extra Details on Premium models

bocaj

Hi Everyone,

When I was looking at my Tornado Mode I thought that maybe have things like opening smokebox doors and maybe evan a hopning hatch which reveals the area where the water is put on steam locomotives. Maybe on deisel locomotives they could

have opening cab doors. The things that I mentioned with the steam locomotives could creat realistic sceans where the locomotive is getting filled up with water or the locomotive has finished service for the day and is getting it's smokebox cleaned out in

the maintence yard. I know Bmann do some steam locomtovies with opening smokebox doors but I have never known Hornby To do it.
These Features would only have to apear in premium models.

Please Tell me your thoughts on my sugestions.

Jacob

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good idea bocaj, would be good for recreating scenes, rather than just running. The only thing is if models were made with features like this think of the extra cost! Im sure with a bit of tinkering, cutting, and gluing, ect, you would be able to achive

whats wanted.

I did think about the cost of these things. If Hornby only did these things on super detail models the price would be worth it. Most of these things shouldn't cost too mutch anyway as their only smaller details. I might have a go at doing some of the things

myself.

Thanks for the help,

Jacob

Be careful bocaj, dont wreak any good models!! Try 'butchering' something old, or something your not too bothered about!!! Dont take a scalpel to your brand new limited edition Tornado!! Im sure you are too sensible to do that!

Don't worry, I'll proboly buy a locomotive to test doing some of the things on it. I don't even know if I'll do it, I might do. I'm not that good at doing stuff like that, so I Think I'll just wait to see if a manufacture does it.

Thanks for the

help,

Jacob

Sounds like a good idea. A flickering firebox and some lanterns would be nice aswell.

All this sounds good, but im sure the point of the hobby is......modelling!!!!!!!!! If everything came as you wanted then surly it would be a 'toy'. Modeling, or deatailing. or weathering, or fine detailing, or out similar is modeling!!!!!!!

Oh yes, I forgot.
Quite A Few Hornby Deisels Allready Have Opening doors on. I know of the Class 50 as you said. I know that atleast the Class 43 Intercity

125 has opening doors on it, I'm not sure if the other Class 43s do. I think some of the Class 08 Shunters have Opening doors on it too.

Thanks for the help,

Jacob

Hi Choobacca,

A Flikering Firebox could be a good Idea. The Oil Lamps can easly be bought and can, with a bit of work, be made to light up. You Could do a Simler Thing with the Flikering Firebox.

Thanks for the help,

Jacob

Yes,

a very good point but not everyone can model that good to do all of these things.

That sounds good, sometimes it seems Triang model

were better than todays Hornby Models!

The

Opening Smokebox Door might be quite hard to model but the coal and char should not be that hard to model. You could just get a bit of coal and break it up a bit, and creat a scene where the smokebox is been cleared out.

Thanks for the help,

Jacob

Archived