Diagonal Points

Did anyone notice that during the installation of v1.55, a new folder called Printing was created in the Railmaster folder. This folder contains .GIF files containing images of the objects you can place on your layout diagram. I was interested to see that

8 new point images appear, which have been referred to in recent threads as diagonal points. Unfortunately, this is the only place where they appear - they are not yet available in the layout design window, but at least it looks like they may be on their way!!

Ray

Theses have been included in the folder since version 1.53 along with a new theme called metal. Unfortunately they can't be selected from within the program.

when I made a post regarding the new theme this was the response from rail master support:

"Certain

files are in place within RailMaster, as with many other applications, in readiness for possible future developments and this should not be taken as a sign of new functionality in the current version, especially when none of this is documented."

I have

been hoping for these files to become available for use ever since.

I assume they will be implemented in the next Major release Hornby have been talking about!

• 1 month later...
beejack said:

Theses have been included in the folder since version 1.53 along with a new theme called metal. Unfortunately they can't be selected from within the program.

when I made a post regarding the new theme this was the response

from rail master support:

"Certain files are in place within RailMaster, as with many other applications, in readiness for possible future developments and this should not be taken as a sign of new functionality in the current version, especially when

none of this is documented."

I have been hoping for these files to become available for use ever since.
I assume they will be implemented in the next Major release Hornby have been talking about!

Hi. I am testing out the RM design with a view to buying the elink, one big problem I am encountering is points diagonally, I have a figure eight layout and points need drawing across the centre diagonal, I cannot find any in the programme and came across

this thread which suggests they are a long way off. is there any more info or help anyone can offer? Thanks.

Geochoice, I think you'll find them. Dry close now.

Also, remember that just because you have a right hand point on your layout, it doesn't mean you have to use a right hand point in your schematic. There is nothing in the point setup that can

tell what sort of point is in the schematic diagram. You may well find that using a left hand makes your schematic neater, particularly in the absence of diagonal points. I did.

With a lot of my diagonal points, new point icons won't make it any better

for me either. Most of mine are at more like 22.5 degrees, not 45, so straight and diagonal icons are equally wrong. Even so, I had no problem designing a good schematic.

Fishmanoz said:

Geochoice, I think you'll find them. Dry close now.

Also, remember that just because you have a right hand point on your layout, it doesn't mean you have to use a right hand point in your schematic. There is nothing

in the point setup that can tell what sort of point is in the schematic diagram. You may well find that using a left hand makes your schematic neater, particularly in the absence of diagonal points. I did.

With a lot of my diagonal points, new point

icons won't make it any better for me either. Most of mine are at more like 22.5 degrees, not 45, so straight and diagonal icons are equally wrong. Even so, I had no problem designing a good schematic.

geochoice said:

Hi. I am testing out the RM design with a view to buying the elink, one big problem I am encountering is points diagonally, I have a figure eight layout and points need drawing across the centre diagonal, I cannot find any

in the programme and came across this thread which suggests they are a long way off. is there any more info or help anyone can offer? Thanks.

What you are describing sounds more like a diagonal crossing (diamond) than a point turnout.

geochoice said:

Very happy to compromise on handing and not make EXACT mimic but still do not understand which points to use on diagonals duh. Sorry.

Whichever available point makes the neatest, most realistic schematic. Yes, you

may have to take a straight diagonal track and put an S bend in it to make part of it horizontal or vertical to put the point in it, and that may mean you have to make the whole schematic longer or wider so the diagonal has room to fit in, but you have no

choice at the moment.

• 2 months later...
geochoice said:

Hi. I am testing out the RM design with a view to buying the elink, one big problem I am encountering is points diagonally, I have a figure eight layout and points need drawing across the centre diagonal, I cannot find any

in the programme and came across this thread which suggests they are a long way off. is there any more info or help anyone can offer? Thanks.

Hi,
Have you tried manufacturing a diagonal point in the layout designer by placing two existing shapes

on the same cell. You can then place a pair of point buttons wherever you think looks correct. Ok - you won't be able to 'snap' the buttons into position, so you'll have to make sure you have the red/green the correct way around for left/right. Also, you won't

have the blue/grey route indicator displayed, but the buttons will work and the direction will be shown by the appropriate button being shown in the lighter shade. Then when the real diagonal points are introduced, all you have to do is replace the two shapes

by the new icon and snap the buttons you already have to the new point.
Ray

St1ngr4y said:

geochoice said:

Hi. I am testing out the RM design with a view to buying the elink, one big problem I am encountering is points diagonally, I have a figure eight layout and points need drawing across the centre diagonal,

I cannot find any in the programme and came across this thread which suggests they are a long way off. is there any more info or help anyone can offer? Thanks.
Hi,
Have you tried manufacturing a diagonal point in the layout designer by placing two existing

shapes on the same cell. You can then place a pair of point buttons wherever you think looks correct. Ok - you won't be able to 'snap' the buttons into position, so you'll have to make sure you have the red/green the correct way around for left/right. Also,

you won't have the blue/grey route indicator displayed, but the buttons will work and the direction will be shown by the appropriate button being shown in the lighter shade. Then when the real diagonal points are introduced, all you have to do is replace the

two shapes by the new icon and snap the buttons you already have to the new point.
Ray

Thanks Ray, saving pocket money for upgrade and then my layout schematic may resemble my layout.

geochoice said:

Thanks Ray, saving pocket money for upgrade and then my layout schematic may resemble my layout.

Maybe just maybe the propack whenever it gets here will have diagonal points for RM schematic not diagonal

crossing thanks, I do know the difference.

St1ngr4y said:

Just to clarify - it wasn't me who mentioned a diagonal crossing.
Ray

Indeed Ray :-)

RAF introduced a diagonal crossing thinking I was a confused old fool, he was right really but it was probably my

poor description of what I was trying to achieve, which was a diagonal track with points leading off it.

geochoice said:

Maybe just maybe the propack whenever it gets here will have diagonal points for RM schematic not diagonal crossing thanks, I do know the difference.

Hi geo, as I believe it diagonal points will be in the

RM PRO version.

Diagonal crossings are two tracks diagonally crossing each other, diagonal points you refer to are points running with straight track at 45 degrees, instead of the points being in straight track horizontally or vertically, on screen,

and having to be stepped as they do now. It would be best to wait until software is available, we are told April/May so it will not be long. If you are not sure when the software is available one of us can prepare an image to show you.

PJ_model_trains said:

Hi geo, as I believe it diagonal points will be in the RM PRO version.

Diagonal crossings are two tracks diagonally crossing each other, diagonal points you refer to are points running with straight track at 45

degrees, instead of the points being in straight track horizontally or vertically, on screen, and having to be stepped as they do now. It would be best to wait until software is available, we are told April/May so it will not be long. If you are not sure when

the software is available one of us can prepare an image to show you.

What about Y points on the diagonal? I only wanted standard right or left points on a diagonal track across my layout :-(

Archived