Hornby 8F with firebox glow & Inter City Coaches with Lights

Choobacca

Yet another wishlist for some classic Hornby products.

This time it's for a Stanier 8F locomotive with firebox glow...
http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=2282

...and some Intercity coaches with interior lighting.

Intercity Second Class Coach:
http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=479

Intercity Brake Coach:
http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=480

Hi Choobacca,
As we discussed in the thread I Created about Extra Details the 8F would be good with a fitted with a firebox glow would be good but most people can do it their selves with a bit of modeling.
The Intercity coaches would be good with

lights but they would be expensive and probably would not sell that good, if you want them that badly you could fit them yourself.
For the Brake Coach, if it were to have lights , again, it would be expensive and would not sell good, it's a good idea though.

All of your ideas are good but with a bit of modeling, can be done at home. It would be good for some models to come with them fitted though.

Jacob

Thanks Bocaj. I expect a lot of the more experienced modellers could probably modify existing loco's and coaches, though personally, I'd rather buy them with lights already fitted. I'm not too keen on modifying things :)

One thing about the 8f and

Inter City coaches is that they probably wouldn't be detailed enough for the more serous railway enthusiast though they might make a nice addition to the 'Railroad' range. A kind of 'Railroad Plus' product range with lights.

Why not fit them with resistors and LED's, resisitors and LED's cost peanuts to buy, a simply rectifier circuit will allow them to work in either direction with power applied. Pickup is easy too, Tri-ang had an elgant solution on their class 31 loco in

later years. Wiper pickups sat onto the trailing axles and supplied a seconddary power feed to the motor bogie. One side of each wheelset was insulated tuhs one trailing wheelset picked up power from one rail and the other wheeset picked up power from the

other rail. It does increase drag a little but not by much.

The modifications are very simple and very easily reversed, a worse you have two tiny tiny holes in each bogie frame where a tiny 10ba watch screw has been fitted, the pickups can be held in

place with a tiny 10BA watch screw with pickup wires run through the central bogie pivot.

Hi Choobacca,
I also like things like lights when they come factory fitted. I also like the idea of the 'Railroad Plus' Range, I don't think it would work though as the Idea for the Railroad Range is so younger molders on a budget. The only way Hornby

can do this is by not putting much detail into the models, if Railroad models were fitted with lights, it would make them much more expensive. This means that the things that you are suggesting would have to be in the Premium Range.

You can drill out the lamp and lens for fitting a fibre option rod, and use a bit of clear resin the sort used to make water effects on layouts to make the light lens of the lamp. The resin can be dyed with red food colouring or a proper resin dye.

There

are some proper working 00 scale lamps out there but they are very very expensive around £40 for 6 so mortage money, they use micro LED's with fine wires attached inserted into the lamps. However if you have the yesight a fine tipped temperature controlled

soldering iron and endless patience it is possible to make 6 working OO scale lamps using micro LED's for less that a £1.70.

It's very feasable, the circuitry is simple and picukp arrangement is very easy to do. LED's and resistors, and Rectifier Diodes cost peanuts. Add project board to make the circuitry, all pretty easy for the owner to do. Should also be very easy for the

big H to fit lights and very cheap too. A typical coach can be fitted for around £1-£1.70, depending on how many LED's you want to fit. Tri-ang fine scale pickup wheels fitted to the class 37 and 35's which have one plastic wheel and one metal wheel to each

wheelset are still readily available and you can get new similar wheels. Contact strip is easy to fine as are fine watch screws. All very very easy to do. Hornby should be able to fit lights for peanuts.

yes i agree it all could be done for peanuts but i bet they put £10-£15 pound on top. cost me £1.55 to fit a fire box light to my 8f. and £25 to fit lights to my duchess. i try your idear for loco lights on my two scots see how i get on

I converted some 1970's Ringfield powered Diesel locos over to DCC and fibre optic lighting for a friend a while ago they looked great all lit up. So it's definately worth doing. The fibre optic rod was fitted to the LED's either in a small impression

made into the LED top in the case of single strand or in the case of a double or triple butted up to the LED Top and resin fixed and then sleeved with heatshrink. I also use Bi-colour RED/White LEd's so that direction of travel can show either RED or White

in the same light lens opening on the loco.

You should have tried

Doritos. Mmmm, Doritos :-)

The fibre optic idea sounds like the way to go, at least with small lanterns on steam locomotives. Perhaps manufacturers could start making DCC decoders with an enclosed LED on the circuit board that would allow fibre optic

cables to carry light to the firebox and lanterns.

It might even be possible to create different headcodes just by re-arranging the lanterns.

Definately worth a go for all you guys out there. You can also get micro LED's which are very useful too. There are places on the internet selling steam loco headcode lamps with micro LED's for around £40 for 6 lamps which is very expensive, as you can

do the same thing for very little cash with patience and a good fine tipped temperature controlled soldering iron and some ordinary plastic loco headcode lamps drilled out to accept micro LED's.

Fibre optics are great they give an old Diesel or overhead

electric loco a new lease of life. Just converted a 1978 Hornby class 25 to DCC and the owner wanted direction of travel lighting with all moulded lamps working. Looks fab now.

• 5 weeks later...
now if i get this right there should be a link so you can see it working and if not well you won't!!!
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/32145-photo0283/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/32144-photo0284/

now

if you can see the photos do note there is now red claer plastic as this is a newer loco which i fitted with a led my self

Archived