accessing sounds on railmaster

hi, the only sounds that i can make work are the announcements in my majestic programme .I have tried to set up air horn etc but nothing will make a sound. I can find nothing in instructions apart from telling you to click on the sound icon. But that produces

nothing. Remembering that i am a simple soul, can somebody explain in words of one syllable how to do it. I cant even get into RM programme files. Every time i run my majestic, it is a major commercial achievement. Thank you, john( yelrow)

yelrow said:

hi, the only sounds that i can make work are the announcements in my majestic programme .I have tried to set up air horn etc but nothing will make a sound. I can find nothing in instructions apart from telling you to click on

the sound icon. But that produces nothing. Remembering that i am a simple soul, can somebody explain in words of one syllable how to do it. I cant even get into RM programme files. Every time i run my majestic, it is a major commercial achievement. Thank you,

john( yelrow)

@Yel
2 separate things are happening here - RM can play sounds from its inventory through your pc speakers when commanded by a program (and specify if that sound is from the left or right channel speaker) or you can play sounds

from a sound equipped loco using F-functions. These functions can be included in a program - RTFM.
The announcements are purely examples of what you can do within RM, not something you can say play announcements in my programme' directly.
To make an

RM sound work you have to insert a 'program command' line in your program then select 'play a sound' from the drop down, then browse into the RM inventory of sounds and pick what sound you want it to play at that point in the program.
AFAIK there are no

air horns in the RM inventory yet, only steam whistles - I'm hoping for those to be added by RM. The only way to play horns is if you have a sound equipped loco, then you can set up on the loco panel which F-function plays that for you. You then either select

the function manually on the loco control screen or by way of a timed event for that loco within a program.
There are also steam and diesel sample sounds sample programs but I presume they only work with a sound equipped loco set to address 03 (HRMS please

correct me if wrong).

thanks RAF, so to clarify in simple terms none of these sounds will work, unless you have a sound equipped loco. Thats fine, but when i run my majestic programme, with 2 new locos supplied by hornby, both without sounds, the programme says whistle. or

hooter. If these locos cannot do that, why are they instructed to do so. Where do i find the sound inventory, in rm it says, windows media player will play, how do you get to it. The hornby instructions are very detailed, but i cannot find where they tell

you how to locate. What is RTFM. Sorry to drag on , but the more you look into, the more muuddy the water becomes, john

John, take another look at what RAF told you. The RM sounds play through your PC speakers, they do not come out of a loco. Is your PC/laptop sound turned on? Are you running a program that has lines with instructions to play the sounds?

With sound

locos, the ones fitted with DCC sound chips, you cannot play RM sounds, only the sound files stored in the chip. These are played via the function keys for the loco.

These 2 sources of sound are completely separate.

In simple terms the locomotive is not equipped with sound so will not emit any sounds, the reason it shows an indication that a particular function key will make a sound is probably because you may have set the locomotive as a "steam sound loco" when in

fact it is not, if so the function key icons will show a sound function, so you should change the drop down menu in the locomotive setup to "steam no sound" this will remove the sound functions on the keys.

To ensure they work correctly, all locos should be set to the correct catalogue number when setting up the loco.

But given we are talking the Majestic set here, it has already been done for you. So this is unlikely to be your problem unless you

have been fiddling in loco setup.

yelrow said:

thanks RAF, so to clarify in simple terms none of these sounds will work, unless you have a sound equipped loco. Thats fine, but when i run my majestic programme, with 2 new locos supplied by hornby, both without sounds, the

programme says whistle. or hooter. If these locos cannot do that, why are they instructed to do so. Where do i find the sound inventory, in rm it says, windows media player will play, how do you get to it. The hornby instructions are very detailed, but i cannot

find where they tell you how to locate. What is RTFM. Sorry to drag on , but the more you look into, the more muuddy the water becomes, john

RTFM - read the famous manual
muddy waters - they will clear in time.

i never expected the sounds to come from the engine, and the fact that the announements are fine means my speakers are turned on. in the majestic programme , sound is supposed to occur, but it does not. You have the option of supposedly testing sounds

on the pull down screen with the engines showing a sound symbol, but they dont work . If they are not supposed to without sound locos thats fine, but in the rm instructions it says they do, and you can test them, but i cant. I clearly understand that i need

sound locos to fully use system, and that will NEVER happen, given costs involved. HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE WITH RM AND ELINK GOT ANY SOUNDS TO WORK, WITHOUT SOUND LOCOS , AND IF SO HOW, thanks john

Yes I use RM sounds through my pc speakers, for example I have sounds such as door slams, steam blowout and guards whistle before each train leaves.

Make a basic program either by recording it or writing it yourself, then insert lines where you want

the sounds to be.

To do this open the program for editing then click on the line above where the sound needs to be and press the green + sign.

Input a time then click the next column and select the 'Program Command' symbol. Next column along select 'Play

a Sound'. Next to this is a browser button taking you to RM inventory of sounds. Pick the sound you want, noting there are left and right sounds. At the top of the list is a folder called English. Inside this are more sounds, mainly announcements that you

can build into a sentence.

You should note how long a sound takes to play and allow this time to elapse before your next program event, although I have played clock chimes for 12 o'clock by mistake and then run a loco before it finished without problems.

The loco got there before the chimes finished.

Give the program a name and click the green tick, then close the dialogue box with the X in the top right hand corner.

Now you can pull down your program in the list and select the blue arrow to play it.

All

this is explained in the famous manual.

RAF 96, thank you very much, i will follow this through later. why wont they individually work when you try to test the symbol. The problem with the famous manual, is to print it out would take a lot of paper, as it would be nice to have it alongside you,

when you are in RM, which i have on my laptop, alongside the layout upstairs. My printer, and the trial RM are located downstairs. I am waiting for a new knee operation, and cannot keep going up and down., john

RAF96 we dont have same system, put in time,put in prog command symbol, but do not have play a sound in next column, nor a browser. What i have is a list, which consists of, 1, clock chimes, left, 2, clock chimes right. 3,de,act loco, 4, de act sensor,

5, end prog, 6, end repeat. 7, message, 8 move plan. Thats it. Nowhere do i have play a sound, nor browser botton,nor a folder called english. Could it be i am not updated, or are you running an elite. Sorry to be a pain, but went upstairs elated, and came

down depressed. Over to you, john

yelrow said:

RAF96, IT Works, as i am sure you knew it would. Many thanks, for taking the time to explain, sorry about confusion, will have a great time now, regards, john

Glad to hear you are back on the rails yelrow.

Percy Vere

Archived