How long do you run your enigines in for or do you?

mmixsetup

Hi I bout a Flying Scotsman DCC ready set. put it all out and then started it up. Nothing but a loud buzz. Never happened with any other set I have owned before. So after a while I went and grabbed one of my other engines put it on the track and let it

run. To my surprise a Buzz. Well I kept it running and after a little while the buzz stopped. So I put the Flying Scotsman back on and little by little it started to move until finally it was moving fine without a buzz.

So how long should you run in a engine?

I have never had to before. But I want it to keep going every time.

is this because modern motors, are not of same quality. Have not bought a new engine for 25 years, but in those days, never ran them in. Perhaps in old days they were bench run. You dont even have to run new cars or motor bikes in now john

how interesting, the only new locos i ever bought were made in germany, by roco. I never ran them in, and some 25 years later, they are fine. Must learn to read the smmall print. All my hornby 3 rail was secondhand, long before i even knew ebay existed,

so some kind soul must have done it for me. All a bit, beside the point, as these days, given the prohibitive cost of new locos, when deciding whether to buy food, or a new engine, its no contest. Still,at least i service them. john

I have not had that problem with any of my new Hornby locos. They all run extremely well straight out of the box. Would it be worth having a quick look inside to see if there's an obvious cause there? If there is, running in is not the answer. You could,

in fact, be making matters worse.

mmixsetup said:

Hi I bout a Flying Scotsman DCC ready set. put it all out and then started it up. Nothing but a loud buzz. Never happened with any other set I have owned before. So after a while I went and grabbed one of my other engines

put it on the track and let it run. To my surprise a Buzz. Well I kept it running and after a little while the buzz stopped. So I put the Flying Scotsman back on and little by little it started to move until finally it was moving fine without a buzz.
So

how long should you run in a engine? I have never had to before. But I want it to keep going every time.
About 30 mins each way at 1/2 speed

Yes well I have not bought a engine for about 20 years or more. Back then my last two engines were from a different make I just put them on the track and they went perfectly not even a buzz. The one before those were both Hornby and the same thing I put

them on the track and off they went no Buzz or anything.

This engine took me about 45 minutes or so before it moved.

Now it will go in both directions fine.

I just figured I had not run the motor in or something as after I put the older

engine on the track and warmed up the track it started bit by bit until it to was doing full laps.

When I buy a locomotive from my local model shop they put it on a test track and run it up and down a couple of times so I can see it works OK. If it doesn't then I don't buy it, or rather they won't sell it to me!

Hornby locomotives usually run

OK straight out of the box, BUT I always run them carefully for a little while just to be certain . However other manufacturers do recommend a running in period and I respect this advice. I do this in two ways, either on an oval set up on the dining table,

or on a Hornby 'Rolling Road'. a very useful accessory.

I'm going back in to town on Friday and taking it back to the shop. They are going to test everything with me. I'm going to take in one of my other engines to show them so they can see how it makes the Buzz sound and compare the sound between the two.

He

is good so we should work it out.

Tied to run it in a bit more after 1/2 hour it stopped and started over and over but I just could not get it to keep going. In the end I gave up and just ran another engine.

Archived