eLink Power Supply...

96RAF

RDS said:

John
There are NO advantages of e-link over Elite. There are just disadvantages:
- 1 Amp power supply, as opposed to 4 Amp with Elite. (although 4 Amp could be added to e-link)
- No knobs on e-link to use manual control

if you wish, without even switching the computer on.
- No extra Network connector on e-link to enable a Select to be used as a Walkabout.

I was actually so impressed with the eLink "advantages" that I sold my elite and have to say I have

no regret. These were the advantages for me;

1) Small enough to be fitted, hidden, underneath the baseboard.
2) Although I've never seen it discussed, I'm convinced it has a faster "processor" / processing capabilities. eg when reading CV's the delay

can be low as 3 or 4 seconds, elite is 8+ seconds.
3) Locos (all mine have the R8249 decoder) are quieter and smoother with elink. Strange but that's what I've found. Also, if placing an analogue loco on the rails, you can hear the motor buzzing at a much

higher frequency. Things are certainly not equal!

Yes I miss the emergency stop "button" but I would not want to go back to elite. Everyone has their preference :-)

By the way, I also use mine with the 4Amp supply. In the original post, the particular

system configuration / programming is causing the 1AMP supply to run out of steam. Just because 1Amp is ok in some conditions does not make it right for everyones power loadings. That's why the 4 amp is also offered for the elink although usually its referred

to as the number of locos being controlled that is the limiting factor.

RAF, may I just ask a question about the configuration you have gone for and why? Presumably putting relays in the system cuts the load on the accessory decoders as a lower current pulse is needed to operate them. But given the decoders are designed to

provide sufficient current to fire a point motor solenoid, did you have a particular reason for not running them directly?

Fishmanoz said:

RAF, may I just ask a question about the configuration you have gone for and why? Presumably putting relays in the system cuts the load on the accessory decoders as a lower current pulse is needed to operate them. But given

the decoders are designed to provide sufficient current to fire a point motor solenoid, did you have a particular reason for not running them directly?

@Fishy
I already had a manually operated points selection system as I hadn't gone over to

dcc at that stage. This was the rotary/push button switch and beefy CDU arrangement.
After converting to DCC with an Elite I found changing the points DCC fashion unwieldy so I decided to stick with my manual system.
Then along came using a PC with Rocrail

and eventually RM and the eLink, so I devised the relay system so I could run DCC parallel with my manual system.
The offshoot is that there probably isn't as great a load on the acc decoders as like you say they only fire the relay coils, so they may last

a bit longer.
So the answer to your Q is I like to have a manual override when the pc isn't on, as I can still use the Elite for the locos and my switches for the points.

Fishmanoz said:

Thanks, understand now.

And here's a picture of it...
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/26693-wiring-point-motors-for-dc-andor-dcc-operation/

In lieu of the rotary and bush

button switches you can have any switching method - e.g. passing contact switch, pen and probe, etc...

The only snag is you need a lot of relays - 2x 12v head/spot light flasher relays for each directly fired acc decoder port, so for 16 such points

you need 4 acc decoders at <30 quid each and 32 relays at a 2-3 quid each from Maplins (e.g.http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-40a-dc-spno-automotive-relay-n02aw ).

No doubt the electronics whizz kids could rig an ic circuit to do the same thing for a fiver.

• 5 years later...

Dave F

Welcome to the forums...

As a newbie you have just wasted your first two posts and locked yourself out by hitting the blue button with the white arrow, which merely repeats the text of the post where you pressed it. You didnt add an extra text so we have no idea if you are asking a further question about posts that are years old or making some comment about them.

To reply tomorrow when you are free to post again scroll down to the bottom of the page and type your comment or answer or question in the big white box then press the green reply button.

Archived