Simon Kohler to leave Hornby

Jeremiah

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I,m wondering if there is a major/drastic announcement forthcoming from Hornby. With stock releases dates not being met and existing production items not being available, it looks like there may be issues regarding the running of the company. I hope not

as I hold Hornby in high regard, especially their customer care and repair/service departments.

yelrow said:

simon is setting up his own consultancy and advisory business, but will still work with hornby for a further 12 months. He has issued a statement on the net to this effect, john

Do you have a link to that statement.

yelrow said:

simon is setting up his own consultancy and advisory business, but will still work with hornby for a further 12 months. He has issued a statement on the net to this effect, john

It is reassuring he will remain

for a further 12 months. As he also issued the statement early in the year stating Hornby expect to fulfill all they have planned for this year. The link would be helpful John.

The link is

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45318&p=549191&hilit=simon+k#p549191

Simon's full statement is there, supplied by Flashbang. It does however say Simon IS leaving and the end of March, he will continue

to assist and support Hornby as they require for at least 12 months after I leave.

We wish him well.

walkingthedog said:

That's what yelrow said, will work WITH Hornby not for. I dare say they will get an equally good person to replace him, there are a lot of fine people out there. He's laid good foundations.

Just hope they don't

elect a bean counter to run the company, lots of progress made and future innovation would cease...

walkingthedog said:

That's what yelrow said, will work WITH Hornby not for. I dare say they will get an equally good person to replace him, there are a lot of fine people out there. He's laid good foundations.

Hi WTD, but only

actually working for then until March 2014

They may not replace him, when a key figure leaves often companies re-structure their staffing levels. I am aware they have previous re-structured but they could do again. A post run differently but with core

responsibilities and tiered downwards applying more work per person and in the end saving on a salary along the line. Salaries are a companies largest expense.

The previous re-structure was essential due to the fall in share prices, although they are

holding a level for the last 12 months they have not shown signs of growth and shares remain just over half of what they were around 3 years ago.

They are after all owned by their share holders and falling share prices was a worry for them, holding

their own has give them confidence as a company, finding new producers will improve this situation and with DCC and loco detection it should give them a boost. If they do not sort it and fall backwards again as a company they then become at risk of being taken

over.

Simon has done himself a favour, indirectly, good as he has been, he has done Hornby a favour, they can now re-structure and save money, any business reducing overheads helps make them more profitable and more competitive.

Having included the above message and commenting that Hornby is owned by it's shareholders, I have also said Hornby shares have remained stable for the last year, although drastically down on 3 years ago, I have added, with DCC and loco detection it should

give them a boost. Words of encouragement.

I write this now because I have just seen that Flashbang has closed the thread on the other forum due to talks of risk of 'take over'. Let us not go down that road, Hornby have a few good cards in their hand

and should play them to their advantage.

I have experiencd 2 of Simon's strengths first hand but he clearly has more. Dedication (emails at 6am!) and the rare activity among marketing professionals that he is prepared and happy to talk DIRECT with the end user.

The knowledge he must have

of the market for model railways!

A loss to Hornby and a gem to anyone using him for model railway consultancy. I wish him well.

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

Hornby magazine May 2014

Page 13

Hornby update

Simon Kohler as we know has now left Hornby Hobbies Ltd. It says following a major reorganisation of the marketing department.

This month, it states, Richard Ames, newly appointed

Chief Executive, a former executive for Ladbrokes is due to join the company. Appointed in February and replaces Frank Martin who stood down.

All change!

I find it very sad that people have nothing to occupy their lives, other than waiting for their forthcoming order. I have 3 acres here that needs cutting twice a week. I could find them plenty to get on with, and take their minds off hornby. The next train

to france leaves at ??????? john

yelrow said:

At least now hornby has a new chief exec from ladbrookes, we shall know the odds on delivery dates. john

Best thing said so far yelrow.

I cannot see why people get so worked up, complaining about things

that they are not interested in. The forum is for sharing information, preferably on topic, unless off topic. I see loads on here I could complain about but find it easier to bye-pass information that I am not interested in.

The comments I left here

is latest news regarding Simon K and Hornby and were not speculation but facts.

walkingthedog said:

It's a good place to point out railway or railway modelling news as you did PJ.

Thanks WTD.

I put all my messages as updates, we do not know peoples circumstance but what came to light through one

today was Fishy won't have the info. available to us from today in the Hornby mag for quite some time. Taking this thought further this is a worldwide forum, many others are in the same situation.

Some members may find some items added interesting,

others may not. It's a bit like the TV, we don't have to watch items and moan about them, we can move on to what we find interesting.

• 9 years later...