Speed adjustment

Yelrow

Hi, my peppercorn tornado, on DCC, is very quick, but my new A4 sparrowhawk, runs a lot slower. I have tried adjusting maximum speed, but it makes no difference.Is this because it needs running in, or is there a way to increase speed. Having said that,

pulling 5 coaches, or alone, the speed remains constant, john

Are they both Hornby or not John? The reason for the question is that RM sets scale Shunt and Cruise speeds for Hornby locos. For non-Hornby you need to follow the scale speed instructions in the manual to set them.

Fishy, hi, yes, both hornby. Poliss, Nothing technical like that, just increased the cruise speed on RM. Your question, was what i wanted to know. So , you can adjust CVs, if necessary. It has been running for about 30 mins, and has picked up a bit, hence

my running question.Dont really want to tinker, john

There is lots of detail in the manual on how to do it and some threads where HRMS provides some clarifying info particularly on setting IDs.

But go back to Brian Lambert DCC section and you are sure to find some detail as this is basic stuff. You

can go way beyond this with what are known as custom speed curves, but forget about them for now and stick with the simple looking at Vstsrt, Vmax and Vmidpoint as poliss says.

Hi

I presume Hornby assumes certain values for CVs 2, 5 & 6 when it sets maximum scale speed for a Hornby loco in Railmaster.

I believe shunt and cruise speeds are a factor of this maximum.

It would be useful to know what settings

they expect. Standard Hornby decoder?

Cheers

PJD, RM doesn't adjust CVs to get the shunt and cruise speeds for each loco, it just sets the right speed step to make them correct. You can still adjust the throttle up to maximum if you wish without being limited by any Vmax CV setting. HRMS confirmed

this on the forums some time ago.

Hi, ray, R 2991XS BR A4, look on ebay, item no 171337542472, cant answer your question, as bought from advert in france. Mine was brand new, but dont know whether it is an old model. It has full sound etc. Take a look at the one on ebay, and come back

to me, john

Fishy, thanks, thats interesting, as mine was not a uk sale, but was brand new in sealedbox, with additional parts still in sealed envelope. Obviously thats why Ray could not find. The one on ebay, is first i have seen, other than mine, john

Hi Fish

I appreciate RM does not adjust or even read CVs when setting up a loco.

My point was that if you select a Hornby model it assumes a scale top speed. Whether the loco can actually achieve this speed will depend on the CV settings.

Maximum speed could be CV5=256. Top scale speed might be 60mph for a particular loco. So RM might instruct step 64 out of 128 to get maximum speed.

If CV5=180 say, and RM instructs step 64 then the loco will run at 64/128 of 180/256 of its maximum

speed.

Am I making any sense?

Are RM speeds dependent on CV5 value or the speed table set?

Cheers

Sounds like you have it spot on PJD.

Default simple speed table is just the three start, midpoint and max points. In fact, for the basic 8249 decoder, it doesn't support custom speed tables. Also, default for CV5 is 255 I'm pretty sure, so that

is always going to be above the scale speed selected by RM.

Archived