R2995X Black 5 - Sound Issue

john_dawson2

I just opened my new Hornby R2995X Black 5 with digital sound. I placed it on the track and the long whistle just kept running and running. I tried pressing another Fx function key, i can hear the other sound, but the long whistle keeps running. I'm using the Railmaster system with a E-Link.

Any suggestions regarding why the long whistle just keeps going and going, even when the train runs.

Note : I have not changed the address yet on the Loco. It's still set to address 003.

thanks

John Dawson, had/still have exactly same problem with my A4 sparrowhawk. If you look on the forum, you will find previous post on Long Whistle Stays On. Graskie, is very good on this, and you may find things that help there. Suffice to say, mine still does it, spasmodically, john

This seems to be a difficult one. With my combination of Elite and RM, I have no problem with a long whistle on RM, using neither the addition of on/off nor a macro. It seems to me that the eLink combination is different. Adding the on/off after the function will, if it works, still require switching off after whatever time you want. Adding a macro is probably preferable, covered in the RM manual, especially in connection with the long whistle function, and you should refer to instructions on how to do that. It is essential to use the character ~ and not - to get the macro to work, however.

Just speculating but, given it is RM generating the command after which either Elite or eLink just transmits it to track, it really shouldn't make any difference whether using eLink or Elite. If it does, something weird is happening in the eLink and shouldn't be. 

2 things to consider.

1. I would guess that until you tell RM what that loco is by way of its R-number RM won't load the specific sound catalogue for that loco, so you can't check if the Whistle, Long is flagged as on/off. Just select the F-number for the long whistle and pull down and select the correct description.

2. When a spot sound (one that plays then stops) is sent RM sends that command twice effectively to reset it ready for next time. Using just the Elite or Select to play sounds manually when you press a spot sound function you will see the screen icon stays on despite the sound having played and stopped. You then need to select that function off before you can sound it again using the command station. Similarly if you have a toggled sound (one that plays until you tell it to stop) and you don't have a space in the description followed by on/off then it won't work correctly.

Hopefully this will help.

• 3 months later...

Archived