hornby points decoder--- how do you test, if faulty

Hi, have latest points decoder, programmed with RM, set up points 1234, Wired up point motor to point, nothing. Tried wiring point motor direct to output 1, Still will not fire with RM. Checked supply to point decoder from elink, fine. Is there any way i can test decoder. Tried another point, wired same way nothing. What am i doing wrong. After 3 hours, extremely frustrated. Decoder, shows 61-.64, all at 15 second delay etc. I have a select. Could i try this or will it mess things up, john NB, using elink.

Hi, phase 2, Point decoder works, problem appears to be red/green wires. On here, before i understood,  red went to plus on decoder, but on other forum, they say green goes to plus. Having reversed them, point now fires. Have set decoder 1to 61, etc, and on my  screen have called point 1, 61, and it works. Presume i do others same way. Still have not managed to programme esu decoder, but none of 3 forums offer much in the way of success. Switch pilots appear difficult, john

Hi John,

I had a problem too with dcc point decoders including the Bachmann ESU. That was because I had assumed that the red wire went to the middle. It should, of course have been the black in the middle with Red and Green either side. Also you do have to put a load onto the decoder (i.e connect at least 1 solenoid moter).But the interesting bit was that I had to do the reading and writing of the CV in 2 "hits" - as it were.  What happened was that it read the CV but didn't allow the option of writing the CV without exiting out of the accessory set up (in fact exiting out of RM) and then going back in (having remembered what CV numbers I had allocated to the decoder - which in my case was 41-44). It worked for me.

Hope this helps. Robin

John, glad you have fixed the wiring so they now work. 

I told you how to program the Switchpilot in your previous thread. Alternatively, do a forum search on the name and you will find a number of previous threads with great detail on how it is done. The threads will be long as it took a while to figure out at first, but finally the answer is there. 

Starting point numbering at 61 is a Select thing. If you are only going to run them from RM and eLink, it is easier to start from one. 

Can you explain what you mean by a 15 second delay?  No such delay is needed anywhere in the system. 

Different manufacturers ahave different colour codes for their wiring and some even have different colour codes within their own range. All this was well covered on the old forum.

Archived