Points, left/right

Yelrow

Okay guys the simple ones are hardest. On hornby points, there are 3 wires, go to  common, plus or minus. On my ASD decoder, they read, left, common, and right. Which goes with which. Twill save me a lot of crawling round the floor, john.    next, want ports numbered 1/4, with hornby, and 5/12 with ASD. Happily numbered, outputs, but every time i Re start RM,   ASD goes back to 1/8. What am i doing wrong. john

Hi WTD, THATS WHAT I THOUGHT, BUT THEY DONT OPERATE AT ALL, and on the hornby one where i have wired them right, they do.  ithink its something to do with the learning button on ASD, as well, just thought if i could clear up right  plus or minus it might help john. Thinking of sending you my weather, its dreadful, john

And having put each channel of the ADS8 into learn, thrown the point you want it to control, have you put each switch back to run?  After that, there should be no mechanism whereby RM can change the programmed numbers. 

Ray, hi the instructions that come with ADS8, are limited, but i wired each point, then went on RM . Clicked each switch to learn, entered output numbers, then went on to other things, having first switched them all back. When i returned to ADS8, all numbers had returned to original. confused     john. Fishy, see above, somewhere along the  prog, i have missed something. Do i have to wire one point at a time and prog seperately, john

Hi John,

You must do each port on the ADS8 seperately. So in your case, switch the first port to the learn position, click on point 5 on your RM layout diagram, then move the learn switch back to the operational position. Then repeat these steps for each of ports 6-12 in turn. When you do each port, I don't think it matters whether you have it connected to a point or not. Personally, I wire all of the points up first, then program each port as I described. That way, when you click on the point on the layout to program the port, you should actually hear the point solenoid being fired. After you have returned the learn switch to operational, it should then be operable in both directions from RM.

Ray

Ray, thanks, why does it not say that on instructions, in those words. I can understand that. At the moment, my ADS works my hornby one. I was doing it on the point decoder, not on schematic, guess it makes a difference. Do you know  if left is plus or minus, as one decoder says left, other, plus, john

John, you do realise the Hornby decoder and the ADS8 program very differently?  The Hornby you have to put on the programming output, then enter the group address, in your case 1, and the ports are then programmed to 1,2,3,4.

The ADS8 just goes straight on the track. All you do is switch to learn on a port, throw the point you want it to control by clicking on the point in your schematic, switch back to run mode and it's done. In your case, start by switching the first port to learn, throw point 5 by clicking on it on the schematic and switch back to run. Repeat by switching port 2 to learn, throw point 6 on the schematic, switch it back to run, etc. you can wire them all up before you start, then switch the ports to learn one at a time. 

And this is exactly what the ADS8 manual tells you to do. 

there seems to be some confusion here. I want the ADS8 to be numbered from 5-12. I  moved each point, one at a time and clicked on schematic, having put each one on learn. When i return to point decoder onRM, where thr buttons go from red to green, they still show, 1-8. Why wont they change, john

Hi John,

Let's start again. You should have a layout diagram in RM which has 12 points on it. Through the layout designer you should have allocated to each of these points,  an address from 1 to 12. With the layout on display in RM, you have gone to the first port on the ads8, switched it to learn mode, clicked either the red or green button of point number 5, then switched it back to operational mode. Is this correct so far?

Ray

Sorry if I confused you John. There is no confusion from our side. We have both told you how to program first port to point 5, second to 6 etc up to eight port to 12. 

This type of learn/run programming is the simplest type to do. Just switch the port to Learn, throw the point it is connected to and switch it back to Run. Job done, it is now programmed to the point number you want on the point you have it connected to. No program output required, no actual programming of group addresses, or understanding what they are, just wire up/learn/throw/run, job done. 

And the fact you find the ports still at 1-8 tells us not that they have reverted to these default numbers, rather you haven't successfully done the job in the first place. 

Hi

Im not sure if this has been done as its unclear?  But on the AD-S8 you have to connect the DCC to all four pairs of the terminals marked "DCC or 12-14DC"  i.e. from the DCC powered rails or DCC bus pair of wires run two wires to the first pair of terminals then instal further wires linking the first pair of AD-S8 terminals to the next pair and so on until the last pair of "DCC or 12-14DC" terminals are reached.  As each twin portion of the AD-S8 is actually an AD-S2 times four and each section is fully self contained. 

Terminals marked "Solenoid L Com R" are to the point motor. There are two separate outputs per section.  For Hornby point motors the Red and Green wires go into the L & R terminals and the Black wire into Com.  If the point motor throws the opposite way to that indicated on the DCC console swap the red and green wires around only. 

The terminals marked "Momentary L  Com  R" are for press button operation using two press to make non locking type of PBs or you can use one SPDT sprung to centre off toggle switch, if additional manual switch operation if desired. 

Wiring example can be found here.... 

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z311/Flash_bang/ADS8andHornby_zps830f7ba7.jpg

Hi, thanks, unknown poster, have all wired etc, but last one will do nothing. All others work from schematic. Now for the next query, on schematic, on 8 of the points, appear blue infils, that move either way when points fired. Why only 8, how do i infil the other 4. Just to clarify,  AD -S8, is fine for first 7, last one has power feed, but will not throw the point. Also on hornby one, all 4 fire from decoder screen, when clicking from red to green, but none will fire from schematic, why. Am 71, tomorrow, and have kids coming to see, but am stuck with this last silly point. john

John, on your Hornby 4, are your point buttons properly locked into the points - you should know now how you  lick and drag them across the point until they snap into place?  That is the only reason I can think of for this behaviour, particularly the lack of the blue line route marker (you call them blue infills) you have on the other 8. 

With the one that doesn't work on the ADS8, does the point motor fire if disconnected from the point?  And check you have the point programmed to be No 12 and you have done the learn-throw-run programming routine with it as you must have done for the other 7. 

Archived