eLink 1.05 Fixes?

As reported in the "eLink firmware upgrade thread" the eLink version 1.05 firmware seems to have appeared. It is obtained by downloading Railmaster 1.55 from PowerPOS ( http://www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup155.exe ) and then running the downloaded file (run as administrator). This re-installs RailMaster and when run again for the first time, eLink is updated to 1.05.

Initially my findings are that it seems to address many of the eLink "initialisation" / USB 3 problem threads.

So, if I choose to do so, eLink now start fine from a USB3 port which it has not done reliably before.

A "quiet" update, but fingers crossed..............

RailMaster 1.55 was released some months ago, including the eLink firmware 1.05.  Your previous version of RailMaster should have invited you to update to version 1.55 automatically.  If it did not then it is highly likely that your antivirus or firewall software was blocking the process.  

You should read the guide at www.powerpos.com/rail-master/security_en.pdf (which is also installed with version 1.55) to ensure you have added RailMaster correctly as a full exception to both your antivirus and firewall software (including the Windows firewall) and also set the program to run with admin rights.  This will ensure that you receive all updates the moment they are released.

HRMS, as I'm sure you know, there are two sources of 1.55, the Hornby Download section and the Powerpos link.

The Hornby 1.55 download does not contain firmware files for 1.05 so most people will not get the update. Powerpos download does contain the latest firmware but not many people will know about that link.

Also the file size & date stamp of Railmaster.exe (v1.55) is different from what I can see between both sources.

I have still got the rm-setup.exe that was issued in December 2013 and again it does not contain 1.05

I can also confirm that the "automatic update" to 1.55 in December did not download 1.05 to my machine.

Suggest an audit of how software is released to the public servers is undertaken to avoid different files/configuration status being in circulation, especially when a number of posts are reporting initialisation problems, which are improved with 1.05?

Just trying to be helpful!

If there was proper configuration control we would never get to the point of there being 2 versions of eLink firmware associated with an automatic RM update or direct download. It is inviting trouble to have v1.55 calling up v1.04 or v1.05 depending upon where you get it from.

Agree. But doubt it's where, it will have been when. Not the first time. They have at least in the past allowed "minor" updates to load without even showing there being an update, although I wouldn't call this minor. And when the handheld apps were first released, they progressively included improvements in the existing version before releasing a new one. It was almost standard practice to have to download the same version more than once to keep pace. 

It all shows that something went wrong somewhere, somehow, when it takes 8 months from release of 1.55 for the forum to start talking about "1.05", as you know what we're like about discussing these things ;-)

I just checked the "Release notes.txt" file for any clues on what it improved but it does not mention 1.05. What I did notice was that this file is date stamped 8/5/14, which again does not tie in with the December 2013 release. This is also the date stamp though of RailMaster.exe so I'm guessing this could be when 1.05 was actually included in the setup/installation files.

Oh well we know how to get it now (as long as you read this forum).

I can confirm that (as of last night at least) that www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup.exe and www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup155.exe are now the same files - I downloaded them both and used windiff to compare.  So they will both contain the eLink 1.05 update.  Still no idea what 1.05 does for you. as someone else reported there is no comment in the release notes as there was for 1.04 ("eLink firmware update (1.04) for improved programming Accessory and loco decoders").

I downloaded the setup file from Powerpos yesterday and installed it. I had no problems and E-Link upgraded to Firmware V 1.05. The only possible side effect is that I now need to reprogramme one of my accessory decoders.

Is there any way of interogating an E-Link box, on or off line, to establish it's Firmware status?

Installing either a RailMaster update or eLink firmware update does not affect the operation of accessory decoders and would not require an accessory decoder to be re-programmed.  RailMaster updates also do not affect any locos, track plans or programs you may have set up.

The current eLink version number is shown on the RailMaster settings window (at the bottom) upon the successful start-up and connection to the eLink DCC controller.

Archived