Hornby Mallard with an 8 Pin standard Decoder installed

simon_young

I have a Hornby Mallard with an 8 Pin standard Decoder installed.

I want to install a DCC Sound card that it too large to fit in the Loco so I am going to have to use the Tender.

The tender has a power connection to the loco via pickups on the wheels that some people seem to be having lots of problems with.

I want to sever the connection between the loco and the tender and was wondering if that would cause any problems.

I need to reduce the height of what looks like a power cradle that once housed a motor in older Mallards, I think they were called Winfield Motors.

The loco seems to run OK without the tender

Can someone confirm as long as my track is clean and I have no isolated track, points etc I can sever the connection between the tender and the loco.

If the loco runs without the tender it won't do any harm. Will run better with tender pickups however. I don't think many have problems with the tender pickups.

It's a Ringfield Motor by the way. You'll still need pickups in the tender to supply power to the sound card. Doesn't the sound card need to be connected to the decoder in the loco?

Hi Simon, welcome to the forums. I wouldn't sever that connection, while it might run without ok for now, more pickups are better then less in all circumstances. 

When you install the sound decoder in the tender, there is a standard miniature 4-pin connector you use to connect between tender and loco. It carries the 2 track wires and the 2 motor wires. You'll be able to find its part number by looking at a sound loco service sheet. You can replace the tender connection by wiring each end of this to the pickups so all track pickup power goes through it. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Thank you all for responding.  The 8 Pin female connection is in the front of the Loco, I intend to cut and extend the wires by soldering an extension to each wire.

I have also decided not to sever the connection between the loco and tender, I will reposition the wires in the tender when I reduce the height of the Ringfild motor cradle. I just ned to make sure I do a lot of isolating, with the cradle being all metal.

I do have excellent electronic and soldering skills, although with computers.

By the way, the tender does not have a 4 pin connector, just two tires connected vis contact points on the loco

• 1 month later...
I notice on the parts breakdowns for the newer A4 types, the tender chassis is designed for speaker and decoder. I wonder if the new chassis would work on your tender? Sure would help if adding sound! From the picture, it looks do-able.....that motor framework in your tender looks very difficult to cut down!

Why not move the 8 pin socket from the loco into the tender then all you have to do is splice the loco motor wires and the pickup wires and feed them to the new 4 pin loco plug , rig the tender with the displaced socket feeding from the new 4 pin socket linking in the tender pickups.

Archived