Hornby DCC Select Runaway Issues! Please help! Pendolino

vito_bellissimo

I am new to the world of DCC and I have had problems with my recently purchased Hornby DCC Select Controller (or decoder). I bought 2 DCC Decoders for my DCC Ready Pendolino, one decoder for the Power Car and one for the Dummy Car so I could function the directional lights and get the most from my now DCC Fitted Pendolino. I fitted both the decoders and programmed the Virgin Trains Pendolino Power Car and then the Dummy Car on the same address "7". I then ran the locomtive on a piece of track that I had put as a testing track to see if all is well just to be safe. The Locomotive ran fine, not just fine it ran great and I just feel in love with it (not litterally). I couldn't hesitate placing it on my actual layout. Once I had put the body back together of the Pendolino and set up the DCC Select to the layout, I was ready. I placed it straight on the layout and just when it even hits the rails on the track it just blasts forward while I have absolute no control of the Loco on my DCC Select. I researched the problem and it was something called a "DCC Runaway" but I did not completly understand it unfortunetly... I tested the DCC Select and my train by resetting the DCC Select Controller (which I doubt would have fixed anything) and it didnt anyway.... Next I placed a DC Locomotive on "00" and even the DC Loco did the same thing! It just blasted off! I knew that this meant that it couldnt be the decoder... It has got to do with the DCC Select Controller... Please help me and explain what the problem is about and most importantly how I can fix it and in "English" please because as I was researching the problem of my runaway I barley understood what they were saying on those websites. So please explain it to me as simple as possible so I can understand. Thank You. Cheers!

Turn the power off at the socket, then place the locos on the track. Are you using a digital power clip? The analogue power clips have TV supressors fitted and interfere with the DCC 'signal'.

DCC decoders can be set up to run on DC powered layouts. It can happen that a DCC loco can mistake the DCC signal for DC power and run away out of control. The TV supressor in a DC power clip can cause this.

When a bad DCC signal is interpreted as DC by the decoder, the loco then sees the full voltage always present on DCC and off it goes uncontrollably. That's you explanation. 

The why is it interpreting the signal as DC is covered by WTD and poliss above. First make sure your track is clean, although given it takes off instantly and every time, this is probably not it. More Linley you are using a DC power track or power clip, not the one that came with your Select. The connectors will be a different colour if it is. And it can be fixed by opening the black cover and removing the capacitor you find inside by clipping off its legs. 

It is possible to turn off this DC running feature in the decoder so runaways can't happen, but unfortunately not with the Select which is very limited in capability. 

Archived