how do I save a new track design in RM

Glenbo

I installed 1.56 and promptly lost the track design I had. I had taken the Hornby track D and added a few bits and pieces and extra points. All worked fine. That disappeared when I made the update and I had to complete the whole excercise again. Only took most of a day and a few swearing sessions to get back to where I was before. decided this time that I would save the layout as my own but I can't find a save button. Must be there somewhere but it's really well hidden. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Having been given my digital system for my 60th birthday it has given me minutes of pleasure and hours of frustration. No plug and play here! Next time there is an update I won't bother. Better to leave it alone once you have it working.

The points b graphics on the RM screen don't show the position of the points for one of the six sets I have. I am loath to try and fix it because they do actually operate but you have to look at them to see which way they are facing. all the others work OK.

@Glenbo

When Railmaster updates itself it re-installs the files as a whole thus overwriting any file you change like the track plans.

You need to open the track plan you wish to use and change the name of it to something else.

To do that simply move your cursor into the title at the top of the window with the plan shown below and then click inside the box so you can edit the text. Then give the plan a new name... simple as that.

When any further updates are installed your plan will still be there to edit at any time. Alter the name and click to save before altering the plan so you don't waste time if the machine loses power or anything else like it happens! Good luck...

Sounds to me that as you were amending an existing design it saved your changes to that name then as AC says your plan was overwritten at the next update.

Answer is save as another name - maybe RM should offer that dialogue option when changes have been made to an existing plan.

When RailMaster updates are installed user-created files such as locos, loco groups, track plans and programs are not overwritten.  However, if you modify an existing track plan or program and save under the same original name, they will be overwritten so, as stated by other users, it is best to rename these when saving.  It is unusual to retain a name such as "Track Plans book - Layout 6" as somebody's model railway, which does not describe it.  In any event, after an update you can easily recover your original plan as RailMaster makes backup copies of all of your data to .bak files every time you exit RailMaster.  Remember, though - if you go into RailMaster then exit, the current locos, plans, programs etc. will overwrite the last backup, so when you notice this issue, DO NOT exit RailMaster, but use Windows explorer to rename or copy the .bak file of your plan, program or whatever.

As for a route not showing on a particular point, there are only two reasons why this would happen: 1) You didn't specify a port number or 2) you did not drag one of the green/red control buttons into the centre of the point, thus allowing RailMaster to snap them into their correct positions. 

Since your points actually work we can confidently say that the reason on Glenbo's plan is the latter and this can be rectified easily.  Full details are given in the RailMaster PDF guide installed on your Windows desktop.

It is not a permissions issue. RM is saving to a folder on the PC/laptop that does not require any need for permissions.

The ONLY time this issue will crop up on a computer is when the user changes the save directory to a place on the drive where permissions are already set and you cannot normally save there... i.e. the Windows folder.

You shouldn't really save the track plan without a new name anyway as updates will simply put back the original plan. This is what I said earlier on here and HRMS confirmed although I think they slightly misunderstood my wording!

Archived