Upgrading to DCC

dj Alex

I believe you can get as many as 10 showing in two columns of 5 on the right if you have a high definition screen, RDS. Mine only shows a maximum of 8.

Hi Graskie

Yes, I have 10 showing on my screen but I would not attempt to control them all manually!

You can plug in several Select Walkabouts into the Elite, so you would have more knobs to twiddle.

*stop sniggering at the back of the class Graskie*

The Elite with Select walkabouts is ideal. There are of course limitations with id numbering in the Select but if id numbers are kept within the Select range, I think this is a good option.

I would think that, in any event, you'd be pounding that stop button quite a bit with as many as 12 locos running!

Thanks one and all - I've found that most interesting and helpful. You can tell how completely ignorant I am of these things. The system I've built up over the years uses 'rolling sections', where current passing to one isolated section indicates a loco there, so using cheap automotive relays, automatically switches power to the next section and off from the previous. Thus each speed controller powers the track ahead of its selected loco. I've around 100 ms of track in 24 isolated sections and several kms of cabling, 10 speed controllers and probably around 200 relays, so the potential for simplification makes the thought of moving to digital quite attractive - plus of course I could earn quite a bit selling relays on ebay!! The walkabout sounds a possible option, but I guess I'd be better learning to walk before trying to run, so will take it slowly.

But many thanks for advice. Much food for thought.

Archived