turntable control

Ray, hi, to answer you loco cruising question, eg, Geneva Drive. Yes, it has, and it does. There is however a little snag. when you stop the loco, it does not, it is like Ariston, it goes on and on and on. Could find no way of stopping it, other than shut down. It performs , just like you suggested, stopping long enough at each road for train to depart. If i am going to use this mode, need a way of talking to it, Not VR. john

Ray, hi, to answer you loco cruising question, eg, Geneva Drive. Yes, it has, and it does. There is however a little snag. when you stop the loco, it does not, it is like Ariston, it goes on and on and on. Could find no way of stopping it, other than shut down. It performs , just like you suggested, stopping long enough at each road for train to depart. If i am going to use this mode, need a way of talking to it, Not VR. john

Hi John,

That doesn't sound good. The reason I was asking is that, if you want to operate it as a proper turntable via the icon on your layout diagram, you need to create the correct entry in the railmaster.ini file called "Turntable Timer". This determines the amount of time it takes the turntable to complete the transition from one road to the next. After you have decided the speed you want the motor to run at, what you need is either a stop watch or at least a watch with a second hand. Line up the table on one of the roads and start off the motor at its running speed. Start the timing at the point at which the table starts to move from its current road, then let it run to the next road, through its pause time and stop the timing when it starts to move away from the second road. Then after you have put this figure into the .ini file and restarted RM, when you click once on the icon the motor will run for this number of seconds. Incidentally, did you realise that, for example if you want the table to move four roads clockwise, you can click on the icon four times on its right half, you will see a number appear near the icon which clicks up to four as you click the mouse. RM will then run the turntable four times for the required number of seconds each, with a second or two pause at each intermediate road.

Having done all of this, inevitably, after continued use, the timing gets out of sync, and the table begins to stop between roads. To get it back in sync, the only way to do this is to use the loco definition to "manually" run the motor until the road is exactly on one road. What I do is calculate how long the Geneva Drive pause is in seconds, then run the motor until it reaches halfway through this pause time.

I think you need to investigate why it won't stop when running in loco mode. Does it have CV's set which in a loco would cause a long deceleration, for example?

Hope this helps.

Ray

Ray, hi, thanks. I am very happy with it as is, as i set it up with 1 rail, and let it move, placing next rail, and so on for 18. It now clicks happily to each point. I tried the loco to answer, and will look into cv, but not keen to attach to prog track, again, unless a prob. I have no idea how to get into ini file, but again will take time to look. You could well be right about deceleration. john

Ray as we are talking TT here is the better thread .

in answer to your question I am using the metal scheme, RM 1.56 rev9 but I don't think that has any bearing on the TT operation, what model TT are you using ? Is it configured in the design plan & ini file correctly ? Have you tried deleting it from the design plan & replace it again with a loco setting?

Ray as we are talking TT here is the better thread .

in answer to your question I am using the metal scheme, RM 1.56 rev9 but I don't think that has any bearing on the TT operation, what model TT are you using ? Is it configured in the design plan & ini file correctly ? Have you tried deleting it from the design plan & replace it again with a loco setting?

Good morning,

They say you are never too old to learn :-)

I now have a TT icon which rotates on the track diagram. To achieve that all I did was set a Start Position for it in the layout designer. However, this setting is different to the Start Position associated with point and signals, in that it doesn't mean that RM will move the ACTUAL TT to a certain position on Start up. What RM will do is move the TT bridge on the icon to the position you specify when RM starts up. Then when you click on the icon on the diagram to operate it, as well as each click notching up the number of turns, it will also move the bridge of the icon to each of the exit roads per click, so that you get a visible indication of the road on which the bridge should finish. It doesn't move any more after that i.e. while the actual TT is moving.

Also, when you are configuring it in track designer, the bridge will move to the start position you select.

HOWEVER, HRMS, we have a problem!! The Hornby turntable has 8 positions, not 6 as you have catered for in both the total number of start up positions, and the number of connections available to adjacent cells.

Ray

Ray, thats good, glad you got it sorted, would have hated to have been one up. Seriously though, can i seek your advice on my second DC hornby electric turntable. Have got in in position, and working through a direct DC controller, so train drives onto bridge from track controller, then rotates through second one. Could not wire it hornbys way, as rail clips dont fit in flexi track. How have you wired yours, as train will not leave the bridge to go into any of the remaining sidings. I dont want to solder 8 tracks, if there is an easier way. thanks. john

Hi Ray,

I'm glad you sorted it, it's a shame the TT doesn't remember it's position. I usually use the elite to bring it back to the start point or if it stops short of alinement with the road. Hopefully RM support can work on the issues raised.

Tee

Hi,

I run my entire layout using programs which I have generated. My TT has only one road in from the rest of the layout, so those programs which involve the TT include instructions if necessary to return the bridge to align with this entrance road. This then ensures the least "manual" intervention.

Ray

Ray, thats good, glad you got it sorted, would have hated to have been one up. Seriously though, can i seek your advice on my second DC hornby electric turntable. Have got in in position, and working through a direct DC controller, so train drives onto bridge from track controller, then rotates through second one. Could not wire it hornbys way, as rail clips dont fit in flexi track. How have you wired yours, as train will not leave the bridge to go into any of the remaining sidings. I dont want to solder 8 tracks, if there is an easier way. thanks. john

Hello John,

The vast majority of my track is flexible and for years I have soldered power leads to the underside of metal rail joiners. I find this the easiest way, and it means the wire is virtually invisible. The P*co company recently pinched my idea :-). There are some out there I know who will claim this isn't their recommendation, but it has always worked fine for me.

As far as the TT is concerned, the Hornby TT has one road where there are a pair of track power contacts which make contact with the small lead-in trackpiece. Assuming this trackpiece connects to the rest of the layout, then this becomes the inlet for power to the bridge, because these two contacts are connected by two wires under the TT to the bridge. Protruding from under each end of the bridge rails are brass contacts which make contact with the rails of each road the TT moves to. So this mechanism can be used to "make live" the road you align to. What I have mentioned here is adequate for DC working (which is what you mention in your question), but for DCC (which mine is) a different approach is required simply because the track is continuously "live".

Does this answer your query?

Ray

Ray, high, no, i understand the principle, but once the train is on the bridge, and moved round to the next track, it does not alight. None of the other tracks, have power. I shall need to investigate further. With my DCC one, i soldered 34 wires, to make the other 17 live. happy days. john

Ray, high, no, i understand the principle, but once the train is on the bridge, and moved round to the next track, it does not alight. None of the other tracks, have power. I shall need to investigate further. With my DCC one, i soldered 34 wires, to make the other 17 live. happy days. john

John,

The road which has the two brass contacts underneath the track - is this the track which connects to the rest of the layout? If so, it is these two contacts which provide power to the bridge, no matter which position the bridge is in.

Ray

RAY, hi i have no problem with the track feed or the bridge. trains drive on a treat, but when bridge moves to next position, no power, so track ahead dead, also bridge. I am sure its wiring as TT, new. john

John,

The only thing I can think of is that the two brass contacts under the approach track are not making proper contact with the rails. This would explain why a loco can drive on using that track - the bridge at that position would be receiving its power via the other contacts at the end of the bridge rails. But as soon as the bridge moves, this route for the power is lost. Check that the under-rail contacts are touching the rails. If you can still lift the TT, have a look underneath the brass contacts. There should be two wires with "spade" connectors plugged into these two contacts.

Ray

Archived