select controller

Mick54

Hiya , just signed up to forum. I have been building a model railway in my attic for a while and recently had a few pounds to spare so I got a select controller off of e-bay. I was going to buy two chips for my locos but read on a modeling site that the nmra chips were not compatible with the select. Can you please tell me what is compatible?

Best regsrds Mick.

( I am a newbie so don't be too technical)

Mick

It is the Select that is not NMRA certified, with the result that it is not guaranteed to operate all decoders even if they are certified.

It works OK with Hornby decoders, some of which are NMRA certified, some not, but it may not work with other manufs decoders.

The Select is a reasonable starter controller for DCC but it is restricted in its capability and cannot carry out the full range of actions that say an Elite or eLink can. These restrictions are well documented on the forum, just search on Select in the box on the red banner above.

While you may be ok with other brands, I would stick with Hornby to be sure. As an example, there are Bachmann chips that sometimes need tweaking of CVs 53-55 to get smooth operation and Select can't do these. In fact ,all you can get with Select is loco ID, acceleration, deceleration, loco direction and consist setup in accordance with the instructions in the manual. Beyond these as described, you can't directly adjust anything.

Archived