Connecting the program terminal to the main track?

Choobacca

I've been thinking about getting a Hornby Elite or Select controller and was wondering if it was possible to operate locomotives by connecting it to the main layout using the programming track connector? I don't plan on using using any digital points, so if I need to re-program a locomotive I can always remove the other locomotives from the track. Thanks.

I would recommend that you disconnect the track feed from the back of the Elite and move it to the programming connections if you want to use the main layout as a programming track, that way, there is no chance of having the main track powerr and the programming power connected at the same time. It is far better to have a separate programming track. A programming track only needs to be one short piece of track, an R600 or R601, just big enough to take a loco and it can be left permanently connected if you wish. The Select doesn't have a separate programming connection and uses the main track for programming.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rog :-)

On my DCC system (not Hornby) the program track output only sends loco codes to the decoders, it doesn't provide tractive power, so the loco will not run on the program track. This is a safty measure to prevent runaways during programming. On some systems you can program on the main aswell as on the prog track, maybe the ELite will do that. Why would you want to run using the program track output?

I have an Elite controller and can confirm that you cannot use the programming output to run the layout. You need to have a separate short section of isolated track to for programming the locos. Unfortunately I am in a similar position to yourself, I have to program my locos on the main track so resort to temporarily connecting the whole layout to the programming output. In order to run the train afterwards I have to connect the layout back to the normal output. Once I have created some space I will lay down a short section of isolated track to act as the programming section. If you want to include the programming track in your layout you could always electically isolate a short siding and switch the power supply between the programming and running outputs of the Elite controller.

58001's idea of having an isolated siding is what I have done except I'm so fed up of crawling underneath my layout I am yet to add the switch to change the lower input. With the select you just need to have the programming track permenantly powered and then a switch to turn off one rail for the rest of the track and that way you don't have to take all your other locos off the main track.

No need for a seperate siding. You could isolate both ends a of short section of your main track using either two R618 isolating tracks. You could use insulated rail joiners and switches too. You would need a switch in the programming leads too.
-----------------------------
Get off the line Bobby.

All you need is a DCC power track R8241. This is what I use, even Mallard without tender fits on it. During programming the loco doesn't move so you don't need yards/metres of track. My item is screwed to a shlf below the layout, no need for switches, climbing under the table, and it's always connected for simple easy operation. If you have a spare DC power track R8206, that can be used, but pop off the cover between the rails and remove the small capacitor, not required for DCC and can interfere with the programming.
Life is great.

Hi Everyone, Here is what I've done on my layout. One of the sidings has a turntable with multiple offshoots (7). I made one of the offshoots the programming track so have the leads from the programming terminals in the back of the Elite collected to that track. However, I could not control the train (I could not drive the train along the track, only program it). So I put a switch next to my control board and connected the programming lead to one side of the switch and a main lead to the other side and then the middle connection on the switch to the track. So now I flip the switch to main and drive the train onto the track, then the turntable turns to isolate the connection, flip the switch to program and then program the train before flipping again and driving off. I hope this helps.

Archived