Using RM/eLink to reset Hornby decoder to default

choralc

I want to be sure that I'm doing the right thing or that the decoder (I believe it to be an R8249 blue dot version) has in fact failed.

Open RM. Place loco on Program Track. Open Loco lIst and select the suspect loco. Click on Info and select Write Pen (and during this process accept any pop up box that some manufacturers allow resetting). Select CV8 value and enter 8. Click on write pen and wait while CV is being written until it says it is finished.

Now do I close this box and reopen it to read if CV change was successful or do I wait for something else to happen? e.g. that CV reading will automatically happen.

If I've done everything correctly and decoder has been reset do I change the ID of the suspect loco to 3 and see if RM can drive it? And if it doesn't what else should I do to see if I can reset and make the thing work?

I also have an Elite should I just try this by itself to see if I can do a reset?

Open RM. Place loco on Program Track. Open Loco list and select the suspect loco. Click on Info and select Write Pen (and during this process accept any pop up box that some manufacturers allow resetting). Select CV8 value and enter 8. Click on write pen and wait while CV is being written until it says it is finished.

THAT IS CORRECT.

Now do I close this box and reopen it to read if CV change was successful or do I wait for something else to happen? e.g. that CV reading will automatically happen.

WHEN IT SAYS IT HAS FINISHED YOU WILL BE ABLE TO READ THE VALUE OF CV8 USING THE "FROM" AND "TO" BOX AT THE TOP OF THAT WINDOW - NO NEED TO CLOSE THE POP-UP

If I've done everything correctly and decoder has been reset do I change the ID of the suspect loco to 3 and see if RM can drive it? And if it doesn't what else should I do to see if I can reset and make the thing work?

IF IT HAS ALL READ OVER OK THEN CV1 WILL NOW BE 3 ANYWAY - TRY READING THAT ONE.

I also have an Elite should I just try this by itself to see if I can do a reset?

Apologies for BOLD type - I expect there is a better way to address each point. R-

IF IT HAS ALL READ OVER OK THEN CV1 WILL NOW BE 3 ANYWAY - TRY READING THAT ONE.

Thanks RogerB but I still have no joy.

Replaced the sus loco on the prog track and had it write 8 into CV8 and when it was 'finished' had it read CV1. I got a value of 255! The Status/String was 99 20 1 25 137.

I told RM to write 3 into CV 1. After writing it was confirming and the status/string changed to 99 20 1 3 55 if that is any help.

I also tried an Elite as a stand alone to Write 8 to CV8 but still no response. Another chipped loco does respond.

It's late and grumpy-b** is going to bed.

Apologies for BOLD type - I expect there is a better way to address each point. R-

Quick way to reset a decoder to default is to select the loco in the RM list then press the blue 'curly arrow' next to the 'what CVs do you want to read 1-255' area.

Using the Elite - with loco on programming track select - Menu, Loco, Direct, Address, Write - enter chosen address and press knob, wait and it should be done. Press Menu or ESC, ESC, ESC to exit programming and try loco on the main track.

It has to be on the programming track obviously.

Archived